Poll: Do you use a metronome...if so, how often?

abiliog

Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:18 pm

When I use a metronome I find that it constantly changes its tempo! ;)
Daryl,
We share the same problem, a bad metronome. Maybe I should read the manual :blink:
Abilio

michelew

Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:09 pm

I prefer to play against the original song. I use the Amazing Slow Downer to loop sections and change the tempo (pitch too). I originally used it on my Mac, but the iPad version is even better. It's easier to load songs you want to work on and you can save multiple loops. If I'm really stuck on a section I can break it down by slowing it right, right down and playing a phrase at a time.

I think it gets into my head better if I hear it (and look at the music too) and then play against it.

The clicking or bells or generally whatever I put in the metronome, generally irritates me too.

M.

tombo1230

Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:39 pm

I have recently been playing along with the song that I am working on. I either play along with Neil, or Guitar pro, or if I can get a midi version of the song with instruments, I play along with that in my DAW and adjust it for the key I am using. I have also been using drum tracks and sometimes a metronome. I think it is a must really for good timing . I haven't always been so good at working this way, but have found that it is the nearest way to substitute playing with a band, especially if I can get a Gpro full band instruments file and export it as a midi file and play it in my DAW.

Tom N.

Lavallee

Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:32 pm

I am with all of you who do not use the metronome, but prefer to play against the real song or Guitar Pro. I always get a better feel with a track than with the metronome that I have never been able to get accustom to.

Marc

thereshopeyet

Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:46 pm

Thanks

BigBear

Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:43 pm

Daryl- you raise a good question. We should ALL be using a metronome constantly. Listen to Neil and he has one going almost every lesson.

Here's the reason why for me. When you play by yourself your timing doesn't matter. But the last few years I've tried to play with other musicians and it makes a HUGE difference. If your timing sucks, as mine does too, you will almost always be behind the other players. That will be a constant irritant to better players. When you get up over 120 bpm it will become really noticeable. I've had to sit out really cool songs just because my timing was ruining the tune. That is no fun. And worse, you look like an amateur!!

So I say use a metronome and learn to make it work. If you don't like metronomes use a backing track or drum machine which are just glorified metronomes anyway.

Good luck buddy! :cheer:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic