Martin opinion

BigBear

Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:05 pm

As always, Wiley makes some excellent points and I learned a lot from his post. Unless, you are a collector even a very fancy guitar, bought at a great price, that sounds like crap, is still a lousy purchase.

Almost, 20 years ago I custom ordered a Larrivee L-10e with all kinds of "bling". In fact, it had so much bling that US Customs wouldn't let it in the country for awhile because of all the mother-of-pearl and inlay. It has a beautiful Englemann spruce top and amazing rosewood sides and back.

And when I got it I fell in love with its looks. But it sounded like crap. It was very dull and flat, not like the Taylors I was used to. I really wanted to send it back but it was custom ordered and I was screwed. So I played it rarely.

But I did keep at it and over time it began to open up and age and now it sounds amazing. I wouldn't get rid of it for anything. But you will have to make a judgment if the sound will improve over time or not.

But my point is it is easy to fall in love with the looks of any guitar but if it doesn't sound good and especially play well, it's not worth the cost at any price. So, like Wiley pointed out, play the thing before you buy it. Martin does seem to have much wider variation in their sound than any other mass produced guitar maker. Martin, being the industry leader for so many years has played around a lot with their bracing for example.

Good luck on your purchase and let us know what you end up with. :cheer:

jimmy88

Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:52 pm

you guys are awesome and have great advice that I will adhere to.
Thanks for making me feel welcomed at TG

Hydroman52

Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:43 pm

Hey Jimmy,

In short, if I were able to get a 40%-50% discount on a new Martin, but I only had one day to decide, and I couldn’t play anything ahead of time, I would be looking at one of the 40s series (D-45, D-42, D-41, 00-45, 00-42, OM-45, OM-42, etc.). That would give you a high quality instrument that should last the rest of your life with a great warranty as long as you owned it. If you decided that you didn’t like it, you could probably sell it rather quickly and get your money out of it.

More ideas (if you want to spend the time reading this – WARNING – the rest can be boring and mundane, so it’s best to bail out here if you have a short attention span)

Here are my thoughts. First, if you have the time and live close to the Martin factory, I am guessing that you could go there and they will have a “petting zoo” where you can play some of the higher end guitars that you probably won’t find in your average guitar store. You don’t have to be a guitar hero, just strum a few cords and play what you know to get a general feel of it (size, playability, and basic tone). I would do something like this just for a fun thing to do.

I’ve never met a Martin D-40s series (D-45, D-42, and D-41; haven’t played a D-40, yet) guitar that I didn’t like, but I’ve only played about a dozen different ones. I really like the Neil Young sound, and, every one that I have played, has had it. I think that the main difference in these models is the amount of abalone that is installed on the guitar. I own a D-41 that I bought used on ebay without playing it ahead of time (gasp!?). Of course, I had the option of returning it if I didn’t like it. After 2 – 3 years of ownership, still no regrets . . . . it is all that I would expect of this model and more. I will most likely die owning this guitar, unless something goes very wrong in my life.

Throughout the years, I’ve played a number of D-28s and D-18s, but it’s been quite a while since I picked up a new one in a store. They are easier to find than the D-40 series, but not as impressive. I’ve only met two that I would consider rivals to the D-40s. Back in the 70s, I played a new HD-28 that I would say would rival a D-40 series guitar in tone and playability. Last year, a friend of mine bought a mid-60s D-18. It’s sounded mighty fine. I didn’t get to play it, so I don’t know about that. All other D-28s and D-18s that I have played didn’t have a chance against the D-40s. I haven’t played any of the Marquis or Vintage models, so I don’t know about that. I was never impressed with the D-35 model.

I also own a 000-28EC and an M-38. I bought both used on ebay without playing them ahead of time (gasp!?). Again, I had the return if not delighted option. No regrets after about 2 years of ownership. It appears that Martin has retired the M-38 model. Not sure what the comparable model would be now days. I guess, if I were looking at a similar body style, I would begin looking at the 00-42, 00-45, OM-42, and OM-45 models if they are in your price range. I have never played an 00-40s or OM-40s series guitar, so I really can’t talk about the quality, but I am thinking that it would be a similar situation as the D-40s above. A visit to the factory would probably answer this question.

All other Martin guitars (D-15, D-16, DCPA, etc.), I don’t know too much about them. A friend once told me to never buy a Martin with an X in the model number. I think this was his way of saying don’t buy a Martin with laminated sides or back. I have played other models of Martins, but, if I didn’t like the sound, I didn’t commit it’s model number to memory. There are a lot of Martins that I just don't remember.

As far as warranty, I bought the 000-28EC from a performer in Atlanta, Georgia who was the original owner. When I received the guitar, I was concerned about the action and took it to the luthier who does a lot of my set-up and repair work. He recommended a neck reset (about $400 - $500). He suggested that I contact an authorized Martin repair shop and see if they would do it under the lifetime warranty (for original owner). Long story short, the guitar owner in Atlanta agreed to having my local Martin repair shop do the work and it was done free of charge. There was absolutely no hassle with Martin. All they needed was the guy’s name and address since he had sent in the owner’s registration card when he bought the instrument. In the end, I got a great deal on a fine guitar thanks to the warranty.

I keep reminding myself that a great guitarist can make even a crappy instrument sound good, but it sure is a pleasure playing one that's well built.

Okay, so that’s just my opinion. Of course, your mileage may vary.

Oh, almost forgot . . . . welcome to TG.

Hydroman52

jimmy88

Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:49 pm

Hydroman52 wow you hit alot of topics dead on.
My discount is more than you stated [can you believe it]
when I first was told I nearly dropped over dead and made her repeat the discount amount.
Problem is I can't play it bc I don't have time to run up to the factory and it's hard to find those high end Martin's in george's, sam ashs, guitar worlds.....etc.
This is a chance I am going to take.
I have a few emails out for recommendation on easability of playing then tone then looks.
Looking at the D-45, D-42, D-41, J-40, GPCPA1/2, DCPA1 & OMCPA1

Hydroman52

Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:07 pm

jimmy88 wrote:
My discount is more than you stated [can you believe it]
when I first was told I nearly dropped over dead and made her repeat the discount amount.

Jimmy,

Don't know how you got a deal like that, but you are my hero. I'd say you are in a no lose situation. I've given you most of the knowledge that I have on the subject. I know that Suzi bought a nice slot head Martin a short while ago. I'm not sure how many other Martins were in the mix when she was out looking. Maybe she'll chime in and share what she knows.

I'm very excited for you to have this opportunity. Pick a good one and be sure to update us on the details whichever way you decide to go.

Hydroman52

suziko

Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:13 pm

Hey Guys,

I do have a Martin 00-28VS that I bought last year. I got it pre-owned, so got a substantial discount on it, compared with the price I would have paid for it new. It was about a year old and in "like new" condition. It's a gorgeous guitar and has a great sound. I also own a Taylor GC3 and I like that guitar a lot too. The neck on the 00-28VS is one of Martin's v-shaped necks, and it takes some getting used to. Personally, I like it, but it is is definitely a handful!

Suzi

jimmy88

Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:33 am

Well I received my new Martin D-42 last week and I am having a really hard time putting it down.
The low stirngs deliver such powerful base notes while the high strings have nice clarity and tone.
Fingering is easy and a joy to play.
Normally I have been a Taylor man but I was able to purchase it new for half price...who could turn that down.

Between the new Martin and this site I am having a blast and who thought that would be possible after playing for 40+ years.

Btw I think Neil is a great instructor alittle heavy in theory but I enjoy his lessons.

Thanks
Jimmy ;)

Hydroman52

Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:52 am

Jimmy,

I'll say it again . . . you are my hero. Enjoy the new addition. Practice up a song and post it when you've got time.

Hydroman52

bazzaspain

Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:58 am

I've had a D28 for years, I tried other makes but loved the Martin, unlike some here I couldn't get along with Taylors, I spent a couple of different days in and around Denmark street trying different guitars and I came to the conclusion that the Martin was the best all round acoustic guitar for the mix of stuff I wanted to play and over the years the sound has got better. I've also got a Gibson a J100 xtra which I prefer playing Stones stuff on and certain tunes but the Martin is still the main guitar I play and it was great straight out of the box unlike the Gibson that had way too high an action unless you had a grip like a boa constrictor
So hope you have plenty of years of fun with your new Martin as I did with mine

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic