Martin opinion

jimmy88

Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:58 pm

I was looking for a Martin guitar that plays easy on the fingers with good full sound.
any suggestions?

Currently I have a Taylor 314CE that I love and have had her for over 15 + years.
I ran into a situation where I can get a new Martin greatly discounted. I know a tough problem to have.
Porblem is I have to order it without playing it.
I don't know anything about Martins other then they are manufactured a few towns over from where I live.

I am 52 y/o and have been playing for 42 years+
dont go on stage so I dont think I really need a cutaway w/electronics.
I have one know and I don't use it I could always mic up if need be.

Let me tell you something nothing can replace your guitar well maybe a good spouse sometimes but the guitar like a faithful dog is always their just waiting for you.
btw just found this site and I have been having a ball learning new tunes and techniques.

BigBear

Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:37 pm

Hi Jimmy and welcome to TG from Portland, Oregon. We're glad you found us. Martin is the standard upon which all other guitars are measured but I feel the tide is shifting toward Taylor. I too, own a 314ce and also an 855. I love them both for their crisp sound and amazing playability.

Many years ago I walked into a guitar shop to buy a Martin D-28. Really a nice guitar. But I walked out with a Taylor 710 which played easier and sounded much better than the Martin. I've been hooked on Taylor ever since.

You don't say how much money you want to spend or what kind of discount you are getting. I feel the D-28 is still their "go to" guitar. Very balanced especially in the mid-range but it still doesn't have the higher note punch of a Taylor.

This begs the question, for me at least, why spend a dime on a guitar that doesn't sound significantly better than the ones you have? I always feel if I buy a guitar it has to add something to my music ie. I bought the 314 to travel with, the 12 string because nothing on the market comes close and I love the big, jumbo sound. The 710 I bought because I didn't have a dreadnought

Maybe some Martin owners can chip in here but your price range will be important.

Happy playin' and cheers!! :cheer: .

tovo

Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:27 pm

I wonder if it is worth posting to say that I absolutely agree with Rick....but I will anyway. I reckon the D28 is a very nice guitar and the guitar of choice for me in the Martin range, but I don't think it's better than my Taylor GA Limited. Not even close. Given that, I reckon if I ever bought one it would just sit there, and it's too good a guitar for that.

Not trashing Martin they are great guitars, just reinforcing the point that unless you are trading to a guitar that you feel is significantly better than your current one...then you need to ask yourself if there's any point. (other than the thrill of a new guitar which is significant). The same would apply for a Martin owner looking at the Taylor range.

dennisg

Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:49 pm

Hi, Jimmy. Good to hear from you.

I own both Taylor and Martin -- and I play various Taylors and Martins every couple of weeks in my local shop. The thing that's become pretty clear is that I wouldn't buy a Martin without having some playing experience with the particular model you're interested in, and the reason is because Martin seems to make a few different necks. Some of them feel pretty chunky in the hand; some are more Taylor-like -- that is, smaller and more comfortable; some are V-shaped; some are D-shaped.

Believe me when I say I'm not putting Martins down at all -- I love the tone many of them produce and I very much like the one I have. But I've also heard many Martins that I think can't hold a candle to a 314, and many Martins that I think sound terrific. But just because a guitar says Martin on the headstock doesn't make it magical.

After reading Bear's excellent comments, I would add this: what is it you're after when you consider buying a Martin? What are you not getting with your 314 that you believe a new guitar will deliver? As Bear mentioned, you haven't said anything about budget. (Or tone. Or playability.) A really good Martin is going to cost you some serious spendolies. Beyond the excitement of buying a new guitar, what are you expecting?

- dennis

snipe

Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:53 pm

I have a DCPA4. Its a cutaway and I love it. I traded up my low end Taylor for it. At some point may go back to Taylor. If I ever get another 12 string it will porbably be a Taylor.
Mike

willem

Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:20 pm

I think guitarists are alway's on the search for sound! sound? sound that will fit the bill,,bill? in a certain way it is the sound that fits with what you want to produce with a certain performence or song or instrumental...and it don't plays by its self.. :laugh: B)

tom18

Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:01 pm

Hi Jimmy,
The comments you've already received are well thought out. I'd only add that when I was shopping for a new guitar four years ago, a friend who owns several guitars and who plays semi-professionally, suggested I try out a Martin 000-18. It's not one of the big orchestral models but has a very nice tone and it's the one he goes to when he just wants to practice or play for himself. His recommendation was vaguely in the back of my head when I started to shop. I played several guitars and liked them all to some extent but I happened to pick up one that really appealed to me. It turned out that it was a 000-18 and consequently I purchased it and never looked back. I like it a lot but strongly encourage you to visit a shop where you can see how it sounds and feels in your hands. If you live near Nazareth it might not be too far out of the way to visit Maury's in Coaldale, PA; they have a lot of Martins. If you can purchase one at a steeply discounted price that certainly sweetens the deal but I will advise you that they are a bit pricey. Good luck!
Tom

jimmy88

Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:28 am

Thank you all for responding.
i didn't say the discount [dont want to get anyone in trouble] but lets just say I can afford D-45 which is $10.5K bc of the discount.
This deal kind of fell into my lap so it is the thrill of a new guitar but also its just to darn good to pass up.
Kids are thru college and gone so I find myself with lots of time to play and practice again.
After the Martin purchace I will looking to get a strat or tele.

Music Junkie

Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:37 am

jimmy88 wrote:
Thank you all for responding.
i didn't say the discount [dont want to get anyone in trouble] but lets just say I can afford D-45 which is $10.5K bc of the discount.
This deal kind of fell into my lap so it is the thrill of a new guitar but also its just to darn good to pass up.
Kids are thru college and gone so I find myself with lots of time to play and practice again.
After the Martin purchace I will looking to get a strat or tele.
Jimmy:

That does seem like a sweet opportunity indeed..... :) I currently own a Taylor 814ce and a Martin 000-15. The Taylor is my go to for all around playing and enjoyment. My Martin, however, is a wonderful sounding strumming guitar. It is all Mahogany and has a great mid range. It is NOT a high end Martin at only $950 when I bought it. I can't really speak of too many martins, as I have not had an opportunity to try too many of them out (especially the high end models). Being a lefty truly limits my chances to test drive guitar models. The only advice I could offer, would be to go to your local store and try out several models to see what you like the best. That is ALWAYS such a tough question, as everyone is different. Good luck though, and let us know what you decide to go with.

J

wiley

Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:54 am

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic