So What Do You Do With All The Great Songs on This Site?

michelew

Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:13 am

Interesting question Bear.

When I first started at TG, I used to print songs out and put them into folders. Before too long, I stopped doing that and just kept the PDFs on my iMac. I could search for them, ... Still not too organized.

Since then I've been loading my music (in a number of formats) into an iPad application called forScore. Ive created a few playlist, currently strumming, fingerpicking, learning. You can put songs on multiple lists. The only work is that sometimes you need to edit the metadata to ensure the artist, blah, blah is correct. It's basically a database and is as useful as the info you put into it. It is of course searchable.

I'm finding it pretty useful. You can annotate the PDFs. You can also crop them and do a bunch of things. I'm sure it's even more useful than I know.

So if you have an iPad it's worth a look. Portable too.

M.

Max

Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:36 am

I have gone totally digital, all my GuitarPro, Chord files and Tab files are on my iPad using TabTool Kit.
I can sort all sorts of ways, Favorites, Song title, Artist, etc.

Also since it's on my iPad, I can instantly go to TG and look up a lesson if needed.
I also keep a list of what I'm working on currently on TG's favorites section, also on my iPad.

By the way, no pixels or digits were harmed in the making or deleting of any files transferred to my iPad.

Max

lueders

Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:40 pm

I carefully file my tablature in cheapo manila folders...well okay I had the intention (at one time) of at least "half-arse" getting organized with 'em.. But alas, it has become two or three flimsy folders holding these massive (& I do mean MASSIVE) heaping, coffee-stained, dog-eared, piles of tabs. I like what Tony called it: crumpledom. LoL!! Boy, is that me for sure. Lol!
I don't have Guitar Pro files. As I do not have GP. Just mounds O' tabs & lessons from TG (95 %) and a few other random quasi- decent tabs that I found.

At various points I have attempted to organize in certain ways...Tabs of songs that I mostly got down but might need for quick refresher, songs I know for sure I'll wanna do sometime but I but haven't tackled yet, songs that are über challenging long term projects & so on. I have tried to group them by finger picking and flat picking...or simply grouping by favorites Krista and I might like to play at an open mic someday. But, honestly nothing seems to keep them all from creeping back into crumpledom. Lol!

Thanks, Rick for helping me realize what a disorganized dirtbag I am. Lol! :(

jimmy88

Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:38 pm

I break them down into 3 three binders by Artist or group.
Must have 25-30 books started but easy to find that was just keep them in alphabetical order

Chasplaya

Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:24 pm

I rarely ever print out tabs, charts or pdf's anymore but have e folders for those that I want to keep. The Tab folder is broken down by artist mostly with a couple of folders named TG lessons (ones currently working on) and one called miscellaneous blues, this has numerous blues songs riffs etc but insufficient artists to warrant an artists folder. I also have another tab folder of old Power Tabs waiting for me to convert to Guitar Pro.. Now these are on the hard drive of my main PC so If I ever want to utilise the laptop I just copy to usb, I can also use my Wifes android for pdf and scores which is A4 size and fits on the music stand quite nicely. I have one very large PDF folder and I have recently started a Mandolin tab/chart/pdf folder. I also have some other random music folders from other sites which I rarely use but as I paid for them will hold onto for posterity...

thereshopeyet

Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:08 am

Thanks.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic