An inch deep...or a mile wide?

tovo

Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:44 pm

Related to the thread on becoming the best player you can be, I had another observation I'd like to share. It strikes me that it's pretty tough to become a great player, and there are a heap of different styles; blues, jazz, folk, metal, country etc, etc.

Given the work it takes to improve, would you be satisfied to be a great player in a single style, or would you rather be competent in a range of styles? Phrased in this way, I think I can guess what the majority would say, so consider your favourite style, the one that makes you feel SO GOOD when you play it. Would it be enough for you to be great at that one style or would that be too limiting?

RicksPick

Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:12 pm

Well im not gonna admit
but I guess thats me,
I love lots of styles and have gone in a little before something else grabs me,
trying a little flat picking at the mo, well I'm practicing with a pick cos of the dodgy arm.

RicksPick

thereshopeyet

Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:05 pm

Thanks for an interesting topic.

michelew

Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:48 pm

What's bigger than a mile?

I'm sure that the more you listen to and play a certain style of music the more you understand and feel it and the better you'll become at playing it. I've been impressed Tony with your focus on your blues studies.

For me, I do like a big range of styles, but it's more about my ability to focus and not get bored and distracted. I went through a period where i learned one or two songs for ages until i got them down. Then i decided to mix it up a bit and play for fun more. That led to trying new things (like the ukuleke). Over and above styles, at times I think I'm spreading my interests too broadly because I've started learning too many instruments. I probably am, but I feel that it's also helping me to understand music better and will in time make me a better player. Starting the bass has made me hear baselines more for example.

So...I may always be a jack of all (or a few) trades, master of none, but I suspect that I'll continue to play a range of things shallowly, rather than getting into a single style in a deep way.

But .... If the music genie turned up and said I'll turn you into an awesome musician and all you have to do is pick one style (and not play anything else) ... Would I take the offer or remain as I am. :) hmmmmm well awesome sure would be nice. :)

M.

BigBear

Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:58 pm

Tony- Another great question. Personally, I just want to play enough good songs that I enjoy, and that I can perform, in a way that is pleasing to others. And if I could learn to make those same songs a little better as I learn them better that would be a bonus.

I'm sure many people will dispute this but at some point in life it seems that there is a limit to ones ability to advance much farther in a particular pursuit. I think it has to do with innate ability. We've all got certain God-given talents. Some are more gifted in music. I've always done well in math and languages. But I have to acknowledge that even if Neil was my daily tutor I won't ever be a great guitarist.

And that's okay too. I get great joy in making music, even if it is mediocre.

Cheers! :cheer:

skaladar

Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:19 am

Hmmm.....I like to be an allround guitarplayer, an allround musician and an allround person in general.

I would get bored if I got into just one style, or just one instrument, or just a certain kind of people. I want variety.

Then again, variety takes a lot more time, since it's just simply a lot, takes a lot. :S :blink: :(

All in all, no, not one style for me, even if I can be 'awesome' in that particular style. :P

Ness

michelew

Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:32 am

Ness you ARE awesome.

jimbo58

Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:53 am

Aaaaah Shel, you're a sweetie!!! :) :cheer: :kiss: :woohoo:

michelew wrote:
Ness you ARE awesome.

willem

Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:14 am

I love pop,bleus,folk and country,,,Jazz too,,(not that I can play them)the most thing i love by playing the guitar is fingerpickin so those music styles I want to do in that way but I must have a teacher that leads me into it..

Its not only trying to learn some songs in that styles but getting a bit of knowledge a bout the styles makes you also a diffrent listener to that music,,take for example ''pinball wizard'' I think I never can play that in a good way but now when I listen to covers I really listen to the things Neil told and maybe discover how they smuggle or how they made it there own..

Do I wish to be good at one style,,no not really..but given at what age I started trying to play the guitar I proberly must but I am very quickly distract when they released lessons here or someone inspire me so I think I be good at bits and maybe a good listener to styles..

Willem

Music Junkie

Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:35 am

BigBear wrote:
We've all got certain God-given talents. Some are more gifted in music. I've always done well in math and languages. But I have to acknowledge that even if Neil was my daily tutor I won't ever be a great guitarist.

And that's okay too. I get great joy in making music, even if it is mediocre.

Cheers! :cheer:
That about sums it up for me too Rick. Although I would exchange science for language. As much as I love the guitar, I just don't have the inner drive to become accomplished at any given style. My original intent was to become competent in campfire versions of some of my favorite songs. I have basically met that goal with room for continuing improvement. I now find myself looking at goals that are a bit more lofty, like fingerpicking tunes and more developed strumming techniques. I'll get there, but it may take me many times longer that it does others. I am o.k. with that. So being decent at many styles is my preference.

Great question Tony.

J

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic