An inch deep...or a mile wide?

dtaylor

Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:07 am

Inch deep mile wide would be my preference, although I'd settle for inch deep inch wide some days when practicing is painful!

I admire virtuoso artists of course, anyone who has mastered a style is to be admired for their achievement but I have a special admiration people like Neil who can play ANYTHING in any style.

I get a kick out of being able to attempt different genres, it keeps practicing fresh when you can play tunes to suit your mood, so there's always something you can go to to inspire you to practice, I imagine if you played only one it could get tiresome.

neverfoundthetime

Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:30 pm

As I read your question Tony, I realised that I don't think in styles at all but do get interested by this and that if it sounds good and want to learn it so I guess I am shallow, shallow, shallow!

I pretty much identified with most of what Bear said although I have found myself deliberately going for things I thought I was not talented in... for example sport (when young) and language... and I ended up teaching sports in a foreign language for a living!

Catman

Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:54 am

Interesting topic...

I think that any improvement I make to my skills (such as they are (or are not)) should contribute to my ability (such as it is (or is not)) to play in more than one particular style.

I don't particularly want to focus on one specific style; I prefer to improve my technique so that I will be able to play reasonably well in a variety of styles.

sbutler

Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:06 am

Catman wrote:
Interesting topic...

I think that any improvement I make to my skills (such as they are (or are not)) should contribute to my ability (such as it is (or is not)) to play in more than one particular style.

I don't particularly want to focus on one specific style; I prefer to improve my technique so that I will be able to play reasonably well in a variety of styles.
Yeah, what he said. I tend to like a lot of different stuff, so having a handle on many techniques (I think) would increase my chances to make the sounds that please me. After all, nobody else hears me. :)
scott

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic