Do you prefer it on top, or on the bottom????????

cosmicmechanic

Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:28 pm

Okay lets answer the question seriously now! ;)

Personally it depends on the capo, I use Shubb-ones, I put it on from the bottom up (so not like in Bob's picture, that's top down, right???! :S :blink: :huh: ), the reason: I can see better if the capo is put on correctly on all strings and because my hand is already positioned that way when actually playing the guitar (palm up). And since I use a capo very often, it's just easier!

Then again when using a capo which you need to sqeeze to put it on (like Suzi's pink one :P ), the actual squeezing is easier to do at the top.

I'm still wondering if I understand top and bottom correctly here.......pffffffffffffff :unsure: ........LOL!! :laugh:

:S :blush:

Ness

thereshopeyet

Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:38 pm

Thanks.

Music Junkie

Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:33 pm

nesh16041972 wrote:
Okay lets answer the question seriously now! ;)

Personally it depends on the capo, I use Shubb-ones, I put it on from the bottom up (so not like in Bob's picture, that's top down, right???! :S :blink: :huh: ), the reason: I can see better if the capo is put on correctly on all strings and because my hand is already positioned that way when actually playing the guitar (palm up). And since I use a capo very often, it's just easier!

Then again when using a capo which you need to sqeeze to put it on (like Suzi's pink one :P ), the actual squeezing is easier to do at the top.

I'm still wondering if I understand top and bottom correctly here.......pffffffffffffff :unsure: ........LOL!! :laugh:

:S :blush:

Ness
Yes Ness, you understand the question (as meaningless as it is ;) . I have several different types at home and use them both ways. My biggest problem with them, is that they don't come in left-handed models..... :silly:

As far as using them often, I find that I do too. I like to move it up or down the neck and transpose a lot of songs for a fun little exercise. I can't sing well enough for the key to matter, so finding the right one is kind of a mute point for me still. B)

J

michelew

Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:37 pm

Well this has turned out to be another case of a simple 'just curious' type question providing a chance for experienced players to give us their hard earned wisdom.

I have to admit that when I first read this post my reaction was 'it's a capo just put it on, what does it matter?'. But, I've since learned from Nessa that there are damn good reasons to change what I'm doing. I do find myself craning to see whether the first string is capoed and I do think the hand position observation is relevant too.

So thanks Jason for asking a 'what do you do?' question and thanks Ness for opening my eyes to a better way...again. ;)

Shel

Chasplaya

Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:57 am

Okay the last Capo I bought eons ago was for my 12 string and I was told at the time it goes top down, reason was it was designed to provide even pressure across the strings, engineer speak and I expect Big Bear aka (rick) to correct me if what i was told is incorrect that the pressure varies down the length of the Capo nearer the hinge is greater than the end therefore more pressure is required for the heavier bass strings, so I presume all capos being equal the same rule should apply for all capos,more pressure from hinge end required to hold down those strings requiring it; hence top down. This actually makes sense to me unless an engineer tells me otherwise lol Bring it Big Bear lol

tombo1230

Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:56 am

Chasplaya wrote:
Okay the last Capo I bought eons ago was for my 12 string and I was told at the time it goes top down, reason was it was designed to provide even pressure across the strings, engineer speak and I expect Big Bear aka (rick) to correct me if what i was told is incorrect that the pressure varies down the length of the Capo nearer the hinge is greater than the end therefore more pressure is required for the heavier bass strings, so I presume all capos being equal the same rule should apply for all capos,more pressure from hinge end required to hold down those strings requiring it; hence top down. This actually makes sense to me unless an engineer tells me otherwise lol Bring it Big Bear lol
Chas, that certainly makes a lot of sense to me.

Tom N.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic