Do you prefer it on top, or on the bottom????????

Music Junkie

Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:45 am

In keeping with Tony's catch titles, I thought I would throw this question out for fun.

This certainly is not an important topic, but I found myself a little curious the other night after watching several videos of people playing with capos. Some were placed from the top and others from the bottom. Do you have a preference? Is there an advantage/disadvantage to either position? I find myself going from the top most of the time, but that is just out of habit, and because my Shubb capo is easily placed with one had from the top.

Silly question, I know, but what the heck. I was curious.... :)

daryl

Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:02 pm

I prefer on the side. ;-)

Actually, if you place the capo from the bottom up (on the 2nd fret) you can play in a sort-a dropped-D. In general I place my Keyser capo from the top too.

Music Junkie

Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:02 pm

daryl wrote:
I prefer on the side. ;-)

Actually, if you place the capo from the bottom up (on the 2nd fret) you can play in a sort-a dropped-D. In general I place my Keyser capo from the top too.
I almost mentioned that little trick in my post. I cheat that for Dropped D on Rocky Mountain High. I also Use it in reverse to have a tuning where the high E string is left open. Green Eyes by Coldplay sounds great that way.... B)

J

neverfoundthetime

Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:53 pm

Top down....

willem

Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:54 pm

Maybe it would be very nice(or super good) to play everything without a capo.. :laugh: :laugh: B) well you said out of fun!!!

I wonder if Neil uses a capo when he performed,,but thats a other question..

AAHUMMM B) :ohmy:

RicksPick

Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:12 pm

For me I have 3 capo's and I find that dependent on shape and whether it obstructs in first position as to wether up or down

RicksPick

Music Junkie

Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:46 pm

RicksPick wrote:
For me I have 3 capo's and I find that dependent on shape and whether it obstructs in first position as to wether up or down

RicksPick
Great point Rick. Some of them can restrict the amount of room for certain chords for sure...

tovo

Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:39 am

I always think that from the bottom looks like it was thrown on it great haste....but that really doesn't matter. I guess either works just fine.

michelew

Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:47 am

Top too. From the bottom always looks strange and the top seems easier somehow.

Cheeky man. :)

suziko

Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:21 pm

I put mine on from the bottom up (I'm assuming by "bottom" you mean close to the high strings??). I'm wondering why Tony thinks that way looks "thrown on?"

Suzi

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic