Not another stupid question!...

michelew

Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:36 am

I was just tuning my guitar. Maybe I'm imagining things, but I often find it tricky to tune the B-string properly. It's always the B.

Do any of you experience that? Or...

M.

thereshopeyet

Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:54 am

Michelle

When I tune I give each string a small stretch which makes the note slightly flat.
Then tune up. Then repeat a few times.

tovo

Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:26 am

To A# or not to A#....that is the question. Mmmm.....seems pretty important to tune to the B.

After that lamo joke...I must confess to not noticing any particular issue with my B string. My G string can get twisted....which can be pretty uncomfortable actually.

Once I wound right through the tuning of my low E and snapped it....that's not easy to do.

michelew

Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:36 am

Cute! :)

daryl

Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:02 am

Hi Stranger! Perhaps your problem is that the B string is sticking in the nut? Perhaps the slot is too small or there is a burr in the slot or there is a bit of gunk on the string at the nut. If you want, you could loosen the string and then put a bit of graphite (pencil lead) in the slot and see if that helps. Just a thought.

michelew

Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:12 am

Hey Daryl,

Yeh...I've been away a little. Life stuff... It's nice to be missed.

I think you may well be right. There was graphite on a couple of the nut grooves when I got the nut replaced. I find that I often over-shoot in each direction when I'm tuning the B-String. So it may be sticking in the nut groove.

Up there for thinkin' my friend. I'll try it.

Thanks.

Shel

willem

Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:19 am

another question please!!!

neverfoundthetime

Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:40 am

Hi Shel, there are no stupid questions, of course, just stupid people asking questions ;-). Oh, did I get that right? :P Actually, I have always found the same problem on both my guitars, yes I do find the B string often does not want to B, as Tony so eloquently put it! That was when tuning by ear... whne tuning with a tuner, its less of a problem. there is something about that B....

daryl

Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:44 am

neverfoundthetime wrote:
Hi Shel, there are no stupid questions, of course, just stupid people asking questions ;-). Oh, did I get that right? :P Actually, I have always found the same problem on both my guitars, yes I do find the B string often does not want to B, as Tony so eloquently put it! That was when tuning by ear... whne tuning with a tuner, its less of a problem. there is something about that B....
Too funny. I've missed YOU too!

willem

Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:04 am

I just checked my new Bstring that was tuned yesterday and it still is a B...I think yours is sticking in his nut like Daryl said...I had ones a guitar were it was sticking in his head bridge/nut that was a terrible guitar..

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic