Earworms...??... What are you listening to? and Kevin the OH so sweet lullaby singing Grandpa :)

sbutler

Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:21 pm

Ah Shel, Earworms you say. Well up until now, I never knew what to call them. But as a matter of fact, I've been plagued with said affliction. I've made no attempt (on this site) to hide my addiction to "Mood For a Day". Hell I wake up in the middle of the night hearing it, and trying to play it. However, its not the only song that is crawling around like the worm in my ear.

This one has my toe tapping a lot, and everyone around me is sayin "Dude, whats wrong with you?".

Earworms. That's what I'll tell them from now on.

Scott

cosmicmechanic

Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:22 pm

Well, I've had a specific earworm since the 70s, having heard the tune on a local radio station a few times back then.
It's a cover of the Stone's "Satisfaction".

The problem is, I never knew who the artist was, and never got around to acquiring it.
Anyway, after 10 years, I started really missing this tune going around in my brain and began my 30 year unsuccessful quest in search of it.
You know, I tried.

Since the internet arrived, about 15 years ago, many, many times have I used every keyword imaginable to find it.
And still, no cigar.
And I tried !

A couple years ago, I even managed to track down the disc jockey (Earl Jive) who played it on my hometown radio station in the 70's.
He's been around and about since then, and was running his own web radio station out of Hollywood.
Earl was kind enough to answer my email request, and said sympathetically that he couldn't remember that song as I could describe it.
Woe was me !
And I tried, and I tried !!

And now, Michele, you decided to rub my nose in it and remind me of my predicament.
What's sadder than a horse with no name ?
An earworm with no name. :(

So tonight I gave it one more try ... and I got: SATISFACTION ! :silly:

Turns out the cover was done by Jonathan King in 1974.
I looked at some of his other work, and realized that he is to Weird Al Yankovic what Madonna is to Lady Gaga.

I love the arrangement on this ... ironic sounding (?). The sound is low quality here, but hopefully the earworm potential will come through.

thereshopeyet

Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:54 am

Thanks.

tovo

Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:50 am

I've been listening to Stevie Ray in the morning, Stevie Ray in the afternoon, and then to switch it up I listen to SRV in the evening. I'm being a bit single minded, but that's how I tend to be. I did manage to take a break from my electric and learn a Crowded House tune last weekend. That was fun.

willem

Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:34 am

I wish I had a earworm and it is a very haunting instrumental ''on the horizon'' why i wish it,,well if it was circleling in my ears maybe I could add all the dynamics or musical things with natural feel...

Willem

lately I had ''forever young'' circleling...

Chasplaya

Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:25 am

Just name dropping here, but Tim Finn is a regular customer in my store, I asked him for help on a particular Finn Brothers song and he just rattled off the chords as I quickly scribbled them down. Nice guy by the way a bit shy maybe not the one you recall from the Split Enz days lol Oh and he drinks PInot NOir.... Central Otago ones also quite parochial lol

AS to Shells question I have a SRV song in my head and its an MTV acoustic version of Life By The Drop cool song

Finn Brothers song I scribbled down and also earworm

SRV earworm

pbraun

Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:59 am

Wll I never knew what it was called either, but there is always something there. The other day with full intent to learn Mr Soul a song popped in the head right out of the blue and it is surely stuck there.
The Pretenders-Back in the chaingang- very catchy It is in the recommend a lesson. Pete

haoli25

Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:27 am

A fun topic. Shel. Thanks. Now, I ask is it better to have a song stuck in your head OR a guitar stuck in your pants?

Bill Image

davidrfinn99165

Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:01 am

I have many earworms..... :ohmy:

It drives me crazy sometimes, especially when it keeps me awake. Thankfully that doesn't happen too much, still I do tend to fall asleep with music in my head and when I wake up I hear it first thing. I usually wake up a few times at night......so..... :S

Last night it was indeed 'Far Away' as well.......just love the song! :)

Ness

haoli25

Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:04 am

Bed of Roses, yeah.....it has a beautiful intro!

Listen to Richie's harmonies, absolutely perfect, especially in the chorus, just freaking love it! :woohoo:

:) :) :)

michelew wrote:

This morning my earworm has changed to 'Bed of Roses' (especially the mourning guitar and piano st the beginning - heartbreaking) and I haven't listened to any BJ since yesterday - in the pool. :). It's crazy how the brain works. I guess the song has just grabbed me and taken residence. :).

So I guess I should add BJ to the listening list.

Shel

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic