Earworms...??... What are you listening to? and Kevin the OH so sweet lullaby singing Grandpa :)

michelew

Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:57 am

Have you got earworms?.... No not those prehistoric looking nightmares from the Wrath of Khan. You know...earworms... those little bits of music that stick in your head because you've been listening to something a lot, or it's just caught your attention. Today I've got 'Bad Medicine' going around my head. I was swimming with it playing in my ears and it just sort got stuck there for most of the afternoon. Actually I think it's finally stopped. :) Does that happen to you much? You can read all about earworms in Oliver Sacks' 'Musicophilia' if you've got no idea what I'm talking about.

Actually, my real questions are:

- What are you listening to at the moment? and

- What is inspiring you to play or learn something new?

Some of my recent listening list is definitely inspired by TG's latest lessons like David Bowie, Nickleback and Buffalo SpringField. But, I've been exploring some new stuff too (for me at least) like Sophie Madeline, First Aid Kit. I definitely had a "Take Your Love With Me' earworm - Sophie's ukulele song - running around my head for a few days there.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=2B96wv6T ... B96wv6Tfmg

So just wondering what's keeping those earworms busy and what you're all doing musically in general.

Just curious.

Shel

daryl

Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:23 am

My latest earworm is this gem:

Inspiration? But of course Tommy and his independent thumb. I'm (still) working on "Angelina", "Those Who Wait", "Papa George", "Over the Rainbow", and "Blue Moon". I'm thinking of trying his "Old Fashion Love Song".

michelew

Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:28 am

SUCH a sad song Daryl, like so many of Janis' songs. But, beautiful ...and heart wrenching to be sure. That's some earworm.

And that's one HELL of a learning list. I think they go on my 'not possible in this life-time'-list. :) But, you have some crazy skills and dedication there. Keep posting them.

thanks

Shel

daryl

Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:44 am

"to have stolen the wind from my sails" and "come sit by the fire" keep popping up in my head. And I can't get them to go away!

Regarding "not possible in this life-time list": Don't under-estimate YOUR skills. I really believe that you could do "Blue Moon" with just a little effort. Muscle-memory is an amazing thing. Just take one measure at a time......

michelew

Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:50 am

Thanks for the vote of confidence Daryl. You're a sweetie. The continuous bass line amongst it all (and so many lines of music) was VERY cool. Just listened to it again. That's REALLY something. Well if I live to 90...I guess I've got 45 years to get it down. Maybe I could manage that. :)

thereshopeyet

Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:15 am

Thanks.

Music Junkie

Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:24 am

Michele:

Right now, I am stuck on a Neil Young tune..... I have been playing "On the Way Home". Neil put the lesson up, and I had never heard the song before, or at least never really paid that much attention to it. It has that catchy little strum from Gmaj7 / Dmaj7 / G / D, and I am hearing it in my sleep and finding myself air guitaring it at work sometimes..... Sad...... In my head I hear myself playing like the following video, but, well, you know how it really goes......... :silly:

michelew

Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:14 pm

Dermot - I hear you on the bad ear worm. Luckily that doesn't happen to me too much.

Jason - id love to see your air guitar - perhaps you could upload it. :)

neverfoundthetime

Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:35 pm

Its the wooohs and oooohs and backing vocals from the original that drift through the empty rooms of my mind mostly ... and that Hayward picking... but the flute solo could take you over whole sale if you don't watch out... Live version first then the 40 year old original...

michelew

Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:55 pm

Chris,

I can hear why that might stick in your head it's really beautiful.

I can't play the original at the moment, but I'll check it out later.

Not a bad earworm to have.

This morning my earworm has changed to 'Bed of Roses' (especially the mourning guitar and piano st the beginning - heartbreaking) and I haven't listened to any BJ since yesterday - in the pool. :). It's crazy how the brain works. I guess the song has just grabbed me and taken residence. :).

So I guess I should add BJ to the listening list.

Shel

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic