Not another stupid question - Part 2; string tension and intonation

michelew

Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:56 am

Thanks Daryl that was interesting. Gee the more I read about tuning, intonation and the physics that luthiers employ, the more apparent it becomes that guitars are complex beasts. Yesterday I was reading an article about custom features that contemporary luthiers are using such as double-tops and wedge shaped bodies. Intersting stuff.

Well my ukulele is not compensated at the saddle and the biggest intonation "error" appears to be at the first fret of the high-G string. So maybe it just needed/needs the nut to be moved up the neck a little. Well that would presumably be a costly exercise and probably cost a large percentage of what I paid for it. So I'll just try to suck it up.

Thanks for taking me seriously. I'll see if there is any difference in intonation when I take it back to standard tuning.

Thanks again

Shel

daryl

Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:37 am

The article (or another one I read) also mentioned "fretting technique" where the player may be pressing the string too firmly or slightly bending the string when fretting it.....

michelew

Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:41 am

What are you suggesting Daryl?? :huh: :ohmy: That I'm not fretting with the perfect amount of pressure? :ohmy: Outrageous I'm a practiced fretter! :unsure: :S Oh...I guess worrying doesn't apply here. :silly:

Don't worry about that last comment. B)

Point duly noted. :)

Thanks!

M

daryl

Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:21 am

michelew wrote:
What are you suggesting Daryl?? :huh: :ohmy: That I'm not fretting with the perfect amount of pressure? :ohmy: Outrageous I'm a practiced fretter! :unsure: :S Oh...I guess worrying doesn't apply here. :silly:

Don't worry about that last comment. B)

Point duly noted. :)

Thanks!

M
Too late. I was already worried. I too am a practiced fretter. Ask my wife!

thereshopeyet

Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:53 am

Thanks.

willem

Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:22 am

again a great question..my uncle Bob has no problem.. Image

neverfoundthetime

Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:03 pm

.... as the day draws to a close on this thread (at least here in Switzerland) I wish I could share with you the view from my hotel window up here at 1000 meters looking straight across to the Alps with the afore mentioned Eiger, Mönch and Jungfrau... I mentioned those peaks drifting in and out of the distant cloud formations earlier, then the sky turned black and double rainbows started appearing over the landscape which had turned really dramatic with clashes of dark and light across the plane in front of me... then as it grew dark the almost full moon rose above the clouds like a searchlight as I sat at the window (where I have been all day) with 12 string in hand... wow! Been a laid-back TG day... Image

thereshopeyet

Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:20 pm

Thanks.

michelew

Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:33 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
.... as the day draws to a close on this thread (at least here in Switzerland) I wish I could share with you the view from my hotel window up here at 1000 meters looking straight across to the Alps with the afore mentioned Eiger, Mönch and Jungfrau... I mentioned those peaks drifting in and out of the distant cloud formations earlier, then the sky turned black and double rainbows started appearing over the landscape which had turned really dramatic with clashes of dark and light across the plane in front of me... then as it grew dark the almost full moon rose above the clouds like a searchlight as I sat at the window (where I have been all day) with 12 string in hand... wow! Been a laid-back TG day... Image
That's gorgeous Chris. :)

thereshopeyet

Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:01 pm

Thanks.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic