I Will Survive - Guitar Solo

aikidesi

Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:20 pm

Hi,

Does anyone, by chance, have tab for the lead break in the Gloria Gaynor version of I will Survive?

I'm working on a couple of song parodies for my martial arts school's annual Christmas party (I posted a couple from last year) and one of the songs is to I Will Survive; the chords are pretty simple but I can't find the lead break anywhere.

Actually, I did find one video of a guy playing it but I really need to see it written out.

Thank you,

Frank

daryl

Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:18 pm

Can you point us to the video of the guy playing the solo break?

aikidesi

Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:17 pm

Hey Daryl,

Here's the clip I found...

I don't think it's an exact match to the song but it's pretty darn close. I also don't know what key it's in; the version of the song I've been practicing is in Am.

Here's clip of a kid playing the chords over the actual recording; he just plays rhythm through the break but it's a clip to hear the actual solo...

Frank

daryl

Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:37 am

Here's the solo slowed down to half speed. Hopefully, you'll be able to figure out the solo from that. And it's a good way to develop your ear (rather than relying on someone's TAB - which are usually wrong). Good luck. And I'm looking forward to a video of your parody.

aikidesi

Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:13 pm

Thank, Daryl; I'll give it a shot. Still, its so hard to believe that, with all the tablature on the internet, this is not out there. I appreciate your response though and I will definitely post the parodies after the party.

daryl

Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:35 pm

You're welcome. Perhaps after you figure out the solo (from the slowed down video) you could post a TAB of the solo somewhere on the net.....

aikidesi

Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:20 pm

Well, I never did figure out the solo and just elected to repeat the chords through the lead break; it still turned out pretty well...

daryl

Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:58 pm

Hey Frank, That was fun! Who wrote all the words and who was your singer. You had quite the crowd. Good job!

aikidesi

Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:51 pm

Hey Daryl, the singer is my friend Vanessa; I wrote the words to that pariticular song but she's written verses on many of our others... this is the 4th year in a row that we've done song parodies at the Alex Wilkie's Martial Arts Academy annual Christmas party and it's always a lot of fun. We did 5 songs this year; my favorite was a parody of the Pink song, Who Knew. We wrote it about a couple of our friends who had fairly spectacular relationship mishaps last year... nothing is sacred at these parties. :)

I'm in the process of uploading all of our songs to the Wilkie YouTube page and am then going to link to them from a site I'm creating for myself. The Who Knew parody is called "We Knew"; it's at http://www.youtube.com/aiki456.

Frank

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic