Warm-ups - what are your favourite and most effective exercises?

michelew

Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:11 am

I need to get back to working on foundation stuff; drills, scales, blah, blah. I'm planning to start going through the acoustic genius series again and get serious about putting the scales and pentatonic work in particular into practice. So I was wondering, how do you all warm up before getting into playing or starting to work on specific songs. Are there any exercises that you find particularly useful for finger coordination and solidifying your foundation skills.

Yes I know there are books and books and books on this stuff, enough to fill the library of Alexandria. But, what do you keep coming back to because it's effective and efficient?

Thanks

Michele

thereshopeyet

Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:59 am

Michelle

I tend to jut practice the songs I'm learning.

Dermot

willem

Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:42 am

Hi Michele,,most of the time I just start practicing/playing the tune/song I am on,,this weekend it was Mississipi bleus 3#(very slow) and try to get the hang of it..

It sure is worthful to go thru scales etc,,maybe look to the keys were your!! songs are in and start learning that scale too and maybe not running thru the boxes only but try to play a run up and down the neck with pieces out of the boxes...or play (improvised lead) along with your own recordings that you did,,also its worthful to get the hang of the little triads on the top three strings''

Sometimes my hands are cold and I have a bal which I mould,,maybe its better to start whit this everytime,,,I also just play thru a chord progression strumming and pickin...

Well i could better tell you that I warm up by typing on my keyboard all the blaa,blaa here,,so i am warmed up now and start playing :woohoo: :laugh: :laugh: B)

Willem

neverfoundthetime

Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:24 am

Two strong coffees. Seriously. ;)

unclewalt

Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:29 am

Lately, I've been warming up with "Hey Hey," by Bill Broonzy/Eric Clapton. It comprises a whole bunch of different techniques - slides, hammer-ons, fingerpicking, strumming, etc.

Max

Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:12 pm

I start out with a pick and simple "G" scale run, forwards and backwards, Then on to a pentatonic pattern up and down the neck.
After that in order to get into a funky blues feeling, I practice "Billies Blues" this loosens up my fingers on both hands.
Then it's on to You'll Accomp'ny Me - Bob Seger because of the strum pattern involved, it makes me get out of my comfort zone.

Then I'm ready to attempt new & old songs.

Max

sbutler

Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:14 pm

When my picking nails break, I work with a pick on "From the Beginning" ELP "Mother Goose" (jethro tull), "Wanted Dead or Alive" bon jovi. Basically the songs that force me to be focused with a pick. Those are really good warm up songs for focused picking.

When my pickers are in tack, I usually go to "Is anybody out there", Chicago, Ivory Salamander, If you could read my mind, Landslide etc. By the time I get thru some of these, I'll know if I'll be able to do anything with my fingers Then I'll start working on Mood for a day, Sleight of hand, Classical Gas.

Sometimes, early on in my warm ups, I'll be able to tell if its just not my day, or if its a good day. Some days are better than others. I've learned to not push myself into a bad practice session, no matter how badly I want to practice. If I can't put the Taylor down, but my fingers don't want to play well with others, I'll just strum something. Anything. Make stuff up. Its still fun no matter what.

Scott

tovo

Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:22 pm

Firstly I take the Chris approach, however by the time the rest of the household is up I can be up to my 4th coffee. I know, too much...but I don't drink, smoke or run with bad women so I gotta have some vices.

I used to hit scales to warm up, and I found that a tune like Blackbird that takes you up and down the neck is good. These days, I get straight into some blues lead I have been working on for some time. Some is SRV style, some BB King. Each little solo is about 2 minutes long so I find that it is both a great warm up and a good way to get into my main practice all at once.

Gee, you guys down under are an inquisitive lot! ;)

michelew

Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:25 pm

Hmmmm.....Trust me, I've had my share of excercises when I was a kid, I benefit from that immensely, to say the least. But nowadays I just play, or practice when necessary, any song I wanna play ánd sing.

I guess I don't really do excercises....

However, the ones that I have benefit the most from, I mean as a child, are plain old fingerpicking patterns (just the right hand, no left hand involved there.), fingerexcercises for the left hand, and some scales. I of course found it very boring, but the results......well what can I say?! :P I still strongly believe in those excercises.

Ness

btw I don't think I've been able to upload a picture or file for áges........^#%@$@%#$@!!! :angry:

dennisg

Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:32 pm

Yeah, I just plunge in to a relatively easy song just to warm up my old fingers a bit. Then I increase the difficulty level of the song. After two or three songs, my fingers start to cooperate.

And, like Ness, I'm no longer able to upload photos.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic