Recording Equipment

willem

Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:53 am

daryl wrote:
Willem, I can't see or read your image very well but I think I see that you have your microphone boost set to 10db. That may make your mic really "hot" and hence the need to set your volume levels way down. You might want to experiment with the microphone boost (set it to 5db or ever 0db) and then see what your volume level settings should be. But I could be wrong here. I actually have no idea what I'm talking about. Perhaps Tom might want to explain things.....

Maybe your right!! I experiment on the 0db,,I only can make 3 settings 0db-10db-and 20db,,,when I remember right the 10db was fine ..

Willem

wiley

Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:25 pm

tombo1230

Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:52 pm

willem wrote:
daryl wrote:
Willem, I can't see or read your image very well but I think I see that you have your microphone boost set to 10db. That may make your mic really "hot" and hence the need to set your volume levels way down. You might want to experiment with the microphone boost (set it to 5db or ever 0db) and then see what your volume level settings should be. But I could be wrong here. I actually have no idea what I'm talking about. Perhaps Tom might want to explain things.....

Maybe your right!! I experiment on the 0db,,I only can make 3 settings 0db-10db-and 20db,,,when I remember right the 10db was fine ..

Willem
Daryl is correct, having 10db of gain may be too high if your normal signal in is already at a normal level in terms of loudness. I would put your setting to 0db (no gain) and put the sliders to about three quarters of the way up and try that. The last thing you want is your input too high, as this will clip and this will distort your signal. :( :ohmy:

Tom N.

willem

Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:01 pm

tombo1230 wrote:
willem wrote:
daryl wrote:

Willem
Daryl is correct, having 10db of gain may be too high if your normal signal in is already at a normal level in terms of loudness. I would put your setting to 0db (no gain) and put the sliders to about three quarters of the way up and try that. The last thing you want is your input too high, as this will clip and this will distort your signal. :( :ohmy:

Tom N.
Okay Tom,,I lost the road a bit,,there was a time I had a very good sound,,now I'm back I think,,its also logical now when I think a bout it..thx friend!

tombo1230

Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:07 pm

wiley wrote:
[quote]Terry,

*What Tom is talking about is refereed to as 'latency' or, the amount of time it takes for the signal (or sound) you create to travel down the sound chain. IOW - from the strings on the guitar (and/or your voice) down the cable into the PC (and/or other device(s)) and changing from an analog signal to a digital one and then back out again (to the speakers) /quote]

And back into the mic' feeding back delayed and being recorded over itself.

What I was saying is use headphones or earbuds so that you don't record the latent sound coming out of either the spkrs. camera or whatever, or turn the volume off/down so that the mic doesn't pick it up and feeding it back.

Willey you have it all worked out very well. :)

Tom N.

tombo1230

Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:10 pm

willem wrote:
tombo1230 wrote:
willem wrote:
daryl wrote:

Willem

Tom N.
Okay Tom,,I lost the road a bit,,there was a time I had a very good sound,,now I'm back I think,,its also logical now when I think a bout it..thx friend!
No problem Willem. Daryl is the one with the Eagle eyes though. :)

Tom N.

wiley

Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:19 pm

tombo1230

Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:49 pm

wiley wrote:
Tom, I misread your post, thanks for clarifying.
No problem Wiley.

Tom N.

tacticaltal

Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:39 am

Andy,

I apologize, I'm just now seeing your post. I have decided to try and use a better mic (which I have), and to use Audacity for editing a bit.

I haven't tested it yet, but I sure hope the quality is better. it is what has kept me from uploading other stuff so far.

What is every1 else using, btw?

tacticaltal

Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:55 am

OK, here's what I've got so far:

[li]New strings (:D)
2 Mics (Dynamic, Omnidirectional) http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... Id=2123173
1 1/4" to 1/8' adapter (to mate with my Desktop mic input), and a ....
broken tuning gear for the low E :([/li]

Now, I haven't tested these yet ('cept the broken tuning gear - it don't work duh ), so I guess I'll see what I can see.

One thing I'd like to do is to use both mics (one for voice & 1 for guitar), but I'm not sure how I will hook both up to the computer. Maybe I'll need another adapter?

:ohmy: :unsure: :silly: :blush:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic