Recording Equipment

benfield113

Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:00 am

Hi Terry,

No problem. Like you, I've bought a microphone (Computer Gear) and am experimenting with it. At the moment I've downoaded 'Audacity' , but it appears only to accept audio files, and I can't figure out how to split a .wma file for editing, and then recombine with the video part afterwards. Maybe you can help?

Cheers

Andy

tacticaltal

Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:39 am

benfield113 wrote:
Hi Terry,

No problem. Like you, I've bought a microphone (Computer Gear) and am experimenting with it. At the moment I've downoaded 'Audacity' , but it appears only to accept audio files, and I can't figure out how to split a .wma file for editing, and then recombine with the video part afterwards. Maybe you can help?

Cheers

Andy
Hi Andy,

Well, to convert between wmv and wma, I use an online source at: http://audio.online-convert.com/convert-to-wav
In order to converge the edited audio with the video, I'm not sure yet.

We'll learn together, perhaps.

Cheers,
Terry

daryl

Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:41 am

What version of Audacity do you have? I have 1.3.12-beta and am able to import .wma and .wmv files without any problems. But I only get the audio portion of the .wmv file (as Audacity doesn't do video)....

daryl

Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:48 am

tacticaltal wrote:
benfield113 wrote:
Hi Terry,

Cheers

Andy
Hi Andy,

Well, to convert between wmv and wma, I use an online source at: http://audio.online-convert.com/convert-to-wav

Cheers,
Terry
After modifying your audio in Audacity (e.g. adding effects like eq, compression, delay, reverb, etc.) you need to file->export it as a WAV or MP3 or some other audio format to your hard drive. Then you need to open your Video Editor and sync the newly modified audio track with the video's audio track. Once you have the two audios sync'd up you can mute the audio track from the video. Does that make sense?

Daryl

tombo1230

Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:04 am

daryl wrote:
tacticaltal wrote:
benfield113 wrote:
Hi Terry,

Cheers

Andy
Hi Andy,

Cheers,
Terry
After modifying your audio in Audacity (e.g. adding effects like eq, compression, delay, reverb, etc.) you need to file->export it as a WAV or MP3 or some other audio format to your hard drive. Then you need to open your Video Editor and sync the newly modified audio track with the video's audio track. Once you have the two audios sync'd up you can mute the audio track from the video. Does that make sense?

Daryl
Daryl is spot on here. You do need to have video editing software to finish the job. I use Cubase 6.5 DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) and it doesn't output a video file. (It does play video though) To be honest you don't need to see video on your DAW for straight forward productions such as a busking video. Actually you can even just record the good clean sound to your DAW and transfer it without effects to your editing software. Some editing software types have reverb etc built in as an option, so if you just want a little reverb (don't overdo it, biggest beginner mistake!) you could do it there in your video editor. (Depends what you edit on) I use Sony Vegas editing software.

Tom N.

willem

Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:45 am

tombo1230 wrote:
daryl wrote:
tacticaltal wrote:
benfield113 wrote:

Hi Andy,

Cheers,
Terry

Daryl
Daryl is spot on here. You do need to have video editing software to finish the job. I use Cubase 6.5 DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) and it doesn't output a video file. (It does play video though) To be honest you don't need to see video on your DAW for straight forward productions such as a busking video. Actually you can even just record the good clean sound to your DAW and transfer it without effects to your editing software. Some editing software types have reverb etc built in as an option, so if you just want a little reverb (don't overdo it, biggest beginner mistake!) you could do it there in your video editor. (Depends what you edit on) I use Sony Vegas editing software.

Tom N.
Hey guys,,remember AVS video editor ,,you can download a tryout version...its for free..
Willem

tombo1230

Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:08 pm

tacticaltal wrote:
[quote]
One thing I'd like to do is to use both mics (one for voice & 1 for guitar), but I'm not sure how I will hook both up to the computer. Maybe I'll need another adapter?

:ohmy: :unsure: :silly: :blush:[/quote

You are still missing one piece of hardware for a couple of reasons. You would bi-pass the computers inherently poor sound card by getting an analogue to digital external sound card/box. The box plugs guitar and mic straight in and digitizes them into you DAW preserving the sound, this is key! You can record two tracks together (normally) or more depending on your inputs and outputs. The box connects to the computer via USB connection. Some of these boxes can do midi as well, but I am complicating things now. If you are happy with the sound without the box then that's fine, but you won't be able to record two sources at the same time using two mics or a mic and lead plugged into your guitar. Using one mic you could catch the singing and playing together or you could do a playing pass and a singing pass seperately, just depends what you want to achieve. There are other ways to do this as well.

Tom N.

benfield113

Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:22 am

Hi guys,

I've made a bit of progress here I think. First obstacle is that for some unfathomable reason Windows Media Player and Movie Maker crash with the dreaded 'blue screen of death' whenever I attempt to open any .wma on my W7 dessktop. This screws up the security, firewall software etc and I spent much of yesterday sorting this out!! :(
However I've now downloaded Movie maker and Audacity onto my laptop (Vista) where the original recordng was made, and here I can crop videos and add tracks and effects. Haven't quite figured out how to reconstitute the new video, synchronizing the soundtrack as per Daryl's post, but I'm gettng there!! :)

Thanks for the tips

Andy

willem

Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:09 am

benfield113 wrote:
Hi guys,

I've made a bit of progress here I think. First obstacle is that for some unfathomable reason Windows Media Player and Movie Maker crash with the dreaded 'blue screen of death' whenever I attempt to open any .wma on my W7 dessktop. This screws up the security, firewall software etc and I spent much of yesterday sorting this out!! :(
However I've now downloaded Movie maker and Audacity onto my laptop (Vista) where the original recordng was made, and here I can crop videos and add tracks and effects. Haven't quite figured out how to reconstitute the new video, synchronizing the soundtrack as per Daryl's post, but I'm gettng there!! :)

Thanks for the tips

Andy
A very handy trick for synchronizing one audio track to an other is : when you start recording make a one strum on your guitar or a slap on the body..its the same thing they use in making movies (clipping board)..

If you want to use another video edit program try AVS trail version of you wanted for free,,it has many more possibility's that movie maker..

Willem

tombo1230

Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:29 am

willem wrote:
benfield113 wrote:
Hi guys,
A very handy trick for synchronizing one audio track to an other is : when you start recording make a one strum on your guitar or a slap on the body..its the same thing they use in making movies (clipping board)..

Willem
That would be clapper board Willem, :) Clapping your hand once is enough and you could ident the take as well. For instance: 'Yesterday take one,' then clap once. or 'Yesterday take 10,' then clap once, etc.To sync up sound from camera or edit move the daw sound that you have imported into your editing system until only one clap is heard. When synced up reduce the camera sound to zero or whatever equals no sound, leaving only the mixed DAW sound being heard.

I hope this helps. :)

Tom N.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic