Recording Equipment

tacticaltal

Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:59 pm

I couldn't really find an appropriate forum for this, so if I'm in the wrong place, I don't mind it being moved.

Anyway, what do you all use for recording? At the moment, all I have is my camera with built-in mic, but the audio is awful on playback (it's a cheap Logitech: ~$30).

I found Audacity, and downloaded it, but it will take some time for me to learn how it works, although I have the basic idea of recording tracks, and merging them.

ALSO, I don't have any machines for backup tracks, or such, so any recordings would be totally solo.

My guitar is an Acoustic only (no pickups or amp).

So, what kind of desktop mics are you using? I listened to a lot of the Busking videos (and they're awesome), and everyone seemed to have a good setup, but finances aren't great for me, so I need something below $100. My camera seems to be okay for now.

tacticaltal

Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:40 am

Can a moderator move this to the appropriate place, please, or tell me where to post it. I feel it's not appropriate here.

Thanks,

Terry

willem

Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:46 am

I used a high end logitech webcam(can film HD) but use the mike plugged into my laptop,,,when you record be sure you put the levels almost down..

A sort of result you can watch in the ''something'' busking thread were I just strummed thru a chord progression on my new guitar..

using the webcam is the easy way for recording your self and a handy tool also for just checkin how you sound..

Don't know if you have a smartphone or something but some of them have really good cameras on it..

Well if you can spend more money just go on sme research for top tools!!!!

Willem

daryl

Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:18 am

Terry, What do you mean "I don't have any machines for backup tracks, or such, so any recordings would be totally solo"? With Audacity you can do multitracks with your one acoustic guitar. And with most/all video editors you can do multiple video tracks so YOU can be an entire band. The sky is the limit. Search in the Community->Groups for a group that discusses audio/video equipment......

Looking forward to seeing your uploads.

Daryl

daryl

Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:40 am

Ah Terry, don't worry about it. If you're ever not sure then just open a thread in the off-topic-section.

Buttuh.....yeah, I use a HD-Logitech webcam too, €99.99, so! :P And it does the job just fine. Still a cheaper camera should be alright too, we're not recording cd's here. ;)

As for recordings/videos, I personally like solo-ones, although the multitracking is cool too. But I'd sure like to see and hear you just play the guitar! ;)

cheers

Ness

tacticaltal wrote:
Can a moderator move this to the appropriate place, please, or tell me where to post it. I feel it's not appropriate here.

Thanks,

Terry

tacticaltal

Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:01 pm

Hey daryl,

I just meant that I didn't have anything to accompany me. I don't know what they're called, but I hear a lot of people (esp. with electric guitars) using machines a.k.a. synthesizers (???) to make the guitar sound different, or louder or whatever. Actually, I really like to hear a solo that is just that, a solo, without any reverbs etc. but that's just me.

I'm not making much sense, probably, just rambling LOL.

Thank you for the reply and comments.

benfield113

Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:38 pm

Hi Terry,

Did you decide what to use for recording a video? I'm at the same point as you. Tried on my laptop this morning,but it sounds dreadful (though that could have been the playing!)

Cheers

Andy

tombo1230

Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:01 pm

benfield113 wrote:
Hi Terry,

Did you decide what to use for recording a video? I'm at the same point as you. Tried on my laptop this morning,but it sounds dreadful (though that could have been the playing!)

Cheers

Andy
The weak link in your recording was the sound card in your laptop, assuming that you have a decent mic'.

Also if your spkrs are turned up you are going to hear a delay as your sound is recorded. Feedback of your live recording being recorded delayed. Not a good sound. :)

Tom N.

willem

Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:40 am

Also when you have this program on your laptop,,put everything down to a low level,, Image

daryl

Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:47 am

Willem, I can't see or read your image very well but I think I see that you have your microphone boost set to 10db. That may make your mic really "hot" and hence the need to set your volume levels way down. You might want to experiment with the microphone boost (set it to 5db or ever 0db) and then see what your volume level settings should be. But I could be wrong here. I actually have no idea what I'm talking about. Perhaps Tom might want to explain things.....

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic