Playing the music of legends

tovo

Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:11 pm

This morning I was directed to a video of John Mayer playing "Voodoo Child". Here it is for anyone who wants to check it out:

Is it in the league of Hendrix? Is it in the league of SRV? The answer to that question lies in personal preference and really isn't worth arguing.

For me, playing the music of legends is the best way to honor them. I think it's sad that someone like Mayer, who is in my opinion doing a lot to keep some great music popular, gets run down for it. Perhaps it's just him...but I doubt it.

P.S. If you don't believe that he DOES get criticism....just check the Youtube comments.

dennisg

Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:43 pm

Hey, if he wants to honor Hendrix, and he's got the chops to pull it off, who are we to begrudge him introducing some great old music to a whole new audience.

I'm not a big John Mayer fan, but I love his hard electric stuff. Like this one ...

neverfoundthetime

Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:46 am

We all know that YT is the home of the Trolls. Personally, I have never understood the need to make negative comments on things people don't like... I just click off and find something I do like.... and if I do like it I leave a thumbs up or a pat on the back. If we all pass on the positive and walk away from the negative, the world becomes a much nice place. Not withstanding, we do need to stand up and be counted on things that are not acceptable... but that's not the case with music... unless its Boney M or some such tripe!! :-)

tacticaltal

Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:04 am

I'm not a John Mayer fan (there is something about his voice that I don't like, although he sings well enough), but I do think he is an amazing guitarplayer and has definitely my respect for that! If I could play half as he does.....

Youtube, home of the trolls......that's a good one. It is tótally beyond me how people react and talk over there. Like Chris, if I don't like something, I go away. If I like it, I 'like' it or leave a comment that I did so, that's about it.

However, again John is a fantastic player, and I'd say play whatever one likes! ;) Nobody is forcing anyone to listen, right?!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic