To those who know stuff - Thanks

tovo

Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:41 pm

I didn't want to hijack Terry's House of the Rising Sun thread, so I started a new one.

I've been on this site a while. One of the GREAT strengths has been the willingness of players with years of playing experience and in some cases really strong technical and theoretical knowledge to supplement Neil's instruction by helping others to improve. I know I have benefited enormously from those more experienced players.

I'm not naming people, everyone who spends any time here knows who they are. There are a few. I really want to thank those people for helping me and others.

All the busking stuff is really cool, it's great to see some fine performances, but in the end, for me at least, it's the opportunity to improve that really motivates me to come here. I try to help others, but my knowledge as a pretty inexperienced player means that often the best I can offer is "good job". I think that it's still important to offer moral support, but those who can offer more are doing a huge service on the site.

Something I realised a while back with a little help from my friends is that every time you REALLY listen to someone who knows what they are talking about you are being presented with an opportunity to improve. That's like gold.

So to those who know stuff.....thanks for taking the time, I'm sure I'm not the only one who appreciates it.

suziko

Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:00 pm

Definitely agreed, Tony. Some of the best advice I've been given here at TG has been from some of my fellow guitarists on the site. Not to in any way downplay the value of Neil's advice (which is always excellent and helpful) but obviously we have a lot more interactions with our fellow students here. I'm always grateful for the feedback I receive whenever I post a video!

Suzi

sbutler

Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:03 pm

tovo wrote:
I didn't want to hijack Terry's House of the Rising Sun thread, so I started a new one.

I've been on this site a while. One of the GREAT strengths has been the willingness of players with years of playing experience and in some cases really strong technical and theoretical knowledge to supplement Neil's instruction by helping others to improve. I know I have benefited enormously from those more experienced players.

I'm not naming people, everyone who spends any time here knows who they are. There are a few. I really want to thank those people for helping me and others.

All the busking stuff is really cool, it's great to see some fine performances, but in the end, for me at least, it's the opportunity to improve that really motivates me to come here. I try to help others, but my knowledge as a pretty inexperienced player means that often the best I can offer is "good job". I think that it's still important to offer moral support, but those who can offer more are doing a huge service on the site.

Something I realised a while back with a little help from my friends is that every time you REALLY listen to someone who knows what they are talking about you are being presented with an opportunity to improve. That's like gold.

So to those who know stuff.....thanks for taking the time, I'm sure I'm not the only one who appreciates it.
AMEN BRO'. It is, after all, a learning site.

Lavallee

Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:48 pm

Fully agree Tony, so many good advices on all aspect of guitar and music in general. It is worthwhile to read all the posts as many tricks and pointers are often right there to our grasp.

Marc

michelew

Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:32 am

I couldn't agree more. I have benefitted more than I can count, probably more than I even realise. And of course it's not just comments, it's video explanation and fantastic suggestions in PMs, and other direct exchanges too. There are some who put a LOT of their precious time, energy and experience into this community and expect nothing in return. Actually, I feel very, very, very fortunate the more I think about it. We really are blessed.

Thanks!

Shel

tacticaltal

Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:13 am

We really are blessed with knowledgeable folk here. I appreciated Rick (I think that's who it was)'s advice, delivered in its "matter-of-fact" tone. :) It's the kind that really motivates me. Thank you to all who respond, and lend me your knowledge. And keep it coming :woohoo:

Terry

TGCheryle

Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:42 pm

Well what a very thoughtful thread!!! :) :)

I feel very blessed being a part of the TG-community, it's quite unique what we have here. I just wish I could meet many of you in person, now thát would be cool! :woohoo:

But in the meanwhile very much enjoying this place and everyone's input! :cheer:

Ness

BobR

Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:46 pm

Well,l I wish I could help more but I do what I can. Most times just offering the encouragement to keep at it. This TG community is a great place to be and I look forward to learning everyday.

Nice thread

Bob

MarkM

Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:15 pm

Great thread choice Tony. I concur with everyones thoughts on this subject. Although I havne't frequented the forums as much as I used to (still want to but not enought time lately) I still get tremendous value from the site as a whole. It is apart of my life as just about anything else. Not too many things you can say you get total enjoyment from. Great site, great teacher and support and great people on the forums doing things that they love.

MarkM

BigBear

Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:54 pm

What a great thread. Typical of Tony; such a kind and gracious man. One thing I should point out is not everyone wants candid feedback. All feedback is very sensitive. Just the act of doing a video and posting it takes enormous courage. You are really "putting yourself out there". Warts and all.

Tony is a guy who stated right up front that while he greatly appreciates platitudes he really wants to learn and get better. So it's always been safe to offer Tony feedback. He never takes offense and always is appreciative.

So if you want candid feedback you must ask for it!! I went out on a limb with Terry but he took it great and now I know he really wants to learn. And he knew that my intention was only to help him with a favorite song of mine.

There is no substitute for Neil but this is a big site and he can't be everywhere at once. Some of the advice offered is below the level of Neil's feedback but we all hope it's valuable.

It really excites me that so many people want to learn and what better place than here to all pitch in with advice. Praise is great and appreciated but we're all trying to become better artists and to take our instrument seriously. I believe serious, non-threatening or judgmental feedback is what TG is all about.

Hoorah! for TG members! :cheer:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic