Electric strings - what do you use?

michelew

Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:21 am

Just curious, what brand and gauge of strings do you use on your electric guitar? Mine came with 9s (0.009 - 0.042).

There's a poll.

Thanks

Shel

daryl

Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:21 am

I think I have 10s. I don't play my electric very often and therefore hardly ever change the strings. I think I'd like to try 9s. I've got two packs of D'Addarios (10s and 9s) waiting to be used (someday).

dennisg

Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:29 am

I bought my electric from our very own TGMatt when he was divesting himself of all things musical, so the guitar still has on it whatever strings came from the factory. But I bought a set of Elixir Nanoweb 10's that I'll someday slap on the guitar.

dekotaj

Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:00 am

Miss Shel,

I just had my guitar polished and restrung for my Birthday a couple of week ago.I use nickel strings. The bottom E (the fat one) through the D with 10s and the G B E on the top with 11s.Kinda fattens up the top end some.You can buy string one at a time at Guitar center.

I was just getting ready to sign off and looked up and seen you picture.You could do some Pat Benatar look alike.

Good luck with it Sis

Kev

familyman4

Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:23 am

I use the new Ernie Ball Slinky "COBALT" strings for my electric guitars. Size 10- 46. Ernie Ball Slinky brand has been around for a long time but I moved away from them many years ago. Then about 8 months ago they introduced this new COBALT string so I thought I would give them a try. I like them a lot! Actually have read up on them since starting to use them and find that the research is showing that the COBALT has a better frequency response & enhanced output then a stainless steel or nickel string. But mostly, I just like the way they play.

Bart

tovo

Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:10 pm

I use Ernie Ball "beefy" strings which are 11s. I kept snapping the 10s going for the "guitar face inducing bends". I have about 5 sets of strings all minus the high E. I like the Ernie Balls and I think 11s suit me pretty well as I have pretty big, strong hands. I doubt very much 11s would be on your radar Shel but I can sure recommend The Ernie Balls.

daryl

Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:21 pm

tovo wrote:
I use Ernie Ball "beefy" strings which are 11s. I kept snapping the 10s going for the "guitar face inducing bends". I have about 5 sets of strings all minus the high E. I like the Ernie Balls and I think 11s suit me pretty well as I have pretty big, strong hands. I doubt very much 11s would be on your radar Shel but I can sure recommend The Ernie Balls.
Not to hijack Michele's thread but.....Have you broken all 5 e-strings on your strat? Are they breaking roughly at the same location? Near the saddle? Nut? A particular fret? Did the 5 sets come from the same lot number?

Max

Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:28 pm

My electric is a Gibson 446 ES, which is a thin hollow body electric.
I use 12s, D'Addario's Chrome (Flat or Ribbon wound) strings.
I like the smooth feel of these Flat or Ribbon wound strings when sliding up & down the neck.

tovo

Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:45 pm

daryl wrote:

Not to hijack Michele's thread but.....Have you broken all 5 e-strings on your strat? Are they breaking roughly at the same location? Near the saddle? Nut? A particular fret? Did the 5 sets come from the same lot number?
Hey Daryl. "No" to all of the above. I've broke them on all electrics, in different spots, on different frets. Must confess I haven't checked the lot numbers. I haven't broken 1 set of Ernie Balls, although it no doubt has much more to do with them being beefier strings than the brand.

BigBear

Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:43 pm

Shel- I too am fond of Ernie Ball Super Slinky strings. Usually .009's or 10's. They are slick, bend nicely and last forever. I've been playing on Ernie Ball since I was a kid in a Junior High School band in the 60's. I also like those Gibson Signature strings on my Les Paul.

Electric guitar strings are totally a different animal than acoustic strings. I'm not convinced that electric strings are about the sound, since the sound is usually so manipulated, as it is playability.

Happy playing! :cheer:

p.s. I hope you had a wonderful birthday! Best wished for this being your best year ever!! :cheer:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic