Electric strings - what do you use?

michelew

Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:54 pm

Thanks Joe. I'll keep that in mind. 13s geeeesh! That's beyond 'he-man'. I thought Tony was a brute, you must be the Hulk. :)

heyjoe

Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:05 pm

No problems Michele. Putting huge strings on the guitar does have its benefits, it simplifies your technique a lot
When you drop down to smaller gauges, you keep the finger and hand strength so everything feels much easier.
The change in tone with bigger strings was enormous too.
The downsides, no string bending for 2 months until my fingers got strong enough, an unwound 24 gauge g string ( which felt like a telephone wire), and losing layers of skin off my fingertips on a daily basis apart from that it was all good.

You think 13s are tough, SRV once used 17s-now thats crazy!

Joe

michelew

Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:41 pm

Hey Joe,

13s, 17s it all sounds like a major pain in the ... hand. :) still I guess you can't argue with the results that SRV delivers.

I'm working on A-shaped barre chords; hinge, hinge, hinge. I'm making progress. I'm currently using my third (hinged) and pinky (flattish) together. Unfortunately this means that the 1st string is dead. But, it's progress so I'm just focusing on strings 2-5 for the moment. I'll improve my technique when I'm hinging in a better way and I've built up strength in my third finger.

So for the moment I've decided to keep it simple and just stick with the 9s. Next year I'll probably put the 10s on. After that.... Well better tone sounds appealing, but somehow I doubt I'll EVER go to 13. I'm just not that butch. :) or ... Maybe I'm just not passionate enough to follow the big SRV's way. I take my hat off to those I you who have that level of dedication. It's impressive for sure.

Thanks for the info. How about posting a video of you and your electric. That would be WAY cool.

Shel

heyjoe

Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:39 pm

Thanks for the info. How about posting a video of you and your electric. That would be WAY cool.
Michele, its on my to do list. Just working out how to get the audio from my workstation onto the video footage-once I'm happy with that then I'll record something and post it here-it'll be a clip-hopefully with backing track, rhythm and lead, I'll let you know when its here.

Joe

heyjoe

Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:55 pm

Hey Michele

I did say it was on my to do list, and I've crossed it off.

Its as rough a hell, and I need to work out a way of doing it easier, but here it is, a short clip of me on my strat.
The drumbeat was taken from a youtube user who puts them on specifically as backing tracks, free for anyone to use.
The rhythm guitar is me, as is the lead ( no kidding). The guitar goes into my laptop via an audio interface, into reaper.
All the guitar sounds are from various free amplifier an effects packages you can find on the internet.

The worst part is trying to get all the parts to synch together. I was hoping for a split screen so you could see rhythm and lead in action,
but i think thats for another time.

Hope you enjoy the video

Joe

michelew

Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:03 pm

Joe that was REEEEEEAAAAAALLY COOL! B) B) :) I LOVE it. Great sound, great attitude, great feel. I need to get me some of all of that.

Thanks for the peek. Very cool!

Michele

heyjoe

Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:27 am

Glad you liked it Michele, it was a lot of fun to do, there'll be lots more of stuff like that in the future.

Thanks

Joe

sws626

Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:24 pm

I'm currently using Thomastik-Infeld Jazz BeBop 12-50s on my Gibson ES 335.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic