Poll - do you use an iPad or another tablet for your music activities?

RicksPick

Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:06 pm

Hi Michelle Hi all

Galaxy tab for me and I use it for most things
Play the lessons with it sat on one side of music stand, tab on the other side, stops me looking at the guitar all the time
I have a desktop as my pc hate sitting up to the comp desk with guitar, all crampted up
The only thing it dont like is the student reviews, wont play them??
Love it, when away, all I need is my phone for net and tab, never far away from Target

RicksPick
Gadget lover

dennisg

Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:11 pm

I absolutely love my iPad, and it goes with me wherever in the world I travel. But I've yet to really make good use of it for dealing with guitar music. As of now, I use it solely for video recording my uploads, but I'm open to trying it with specialized music apps. I'll check out some of the ones you suggested in the other thread.

heyjoe

Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:15 pm

For me its a laptop all the way.
I'm currently learning how to turn my laptop into a recording studio-or a digital audio workstation, as it is more commonly known.
I've bought a program called reaper-which is a workstation, and am currently using plugins which have been designed to sound like various well know amplifiers and effects pedals.

The rate of development in this area in recent years has made me realise that I'll never need to buy a guitar amplifier or effects pedal ever again-its all available on the internet. The emergence of such products as the Kemper profiling amplifier makes me think that eventually we'll all have access to any guitar/amplifier/effects pedal combination we'll ever need, all at the touch of a button-all digitally modelled, and sounding exactly like the original product its modelled on.

Combine that with the easy availability of backing tracks, and everyone can have their own band, youtube channel and soundcloud page

Joe

michelew

Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:23 pm

Thanks Den and Dean, I was beginning to think that the other thread wasn't of much value to people, since only Dermot responded.

Den - I hope you find some of the apps useful.

Dean - thanks, I actually have Songster. I can't remember at this point why I haven't used it much. I'll check it out again. Thanks.

Dermot - what is it specifically that you find interesting? What are you reading in the poll results?

Rick - yes, I'd forgotten about the reviews. It is frustrating that you can't watch them on a tablet.

Joe - Right on! That's exactly what I'm talking about too. It's awesome.

Thanks for participating everyone.

Michele

michelew

Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:31 pm

I've copied this info that Wiley provided from another thread as others might find it useful too.

wiley wrote:

Michelle - on the iPad subject, yep, I own one now. The wife has a kindle fire, the younger grandkids are getting some some of 'kiddy' type tablet, the eldest granddaughter a new laptop. Our adult children have either a kindle, an iPad, or a tablet of some kind. So it's pretty much a given nowdays. In fact, one of the happenings lately found one of our nieces moving to a local town. She attends a large school district, middle school 8th grade. They have NO text books, NONE. Everything is done via internet. The eldest daughter is a first grade teacher and it's pretty common she has a lot of her things done the same way, by internet, e-mail, text, etc. Her husband teaches senior (12th grade) English and has a school furnished iPad which he uses for just about everything.

As for using the iPad for musical apps, oh yea! Sheetmusic is huge, and add in something like a bluetooth foot pedal that allows you to flip pages and such, it's pretty neat. You can do the same with a PC but having the Pad mounted on a stand close to you is, well, useful. As I continue down the path of building my home studio, one of the things I immediately found desirable is the ability to sit in the 'booth' area, away from the desk and PC, and needing the ability to control, remotely, the PC and such. It's a fairly easy thing to do in a means, a big screen (35") TV mounted on the wall and a wireless mouse and/or wireless keyboard....

Foot pedals have limitations, like only the ability to work record, stop, etc. And a mouse and keyboard are bulky and take space and aren't really the 'feel' of controlling such items like faders and pan and such.

There has always been talk of how the iPad has, in and of itself, changed how music is recorded and the effects it has had, and will continue to have, over music production and uses for musicians.

As I looked into several different ways to remotely control the DAW, I found several mixers, like the one PreSonus "StudioLive" recently reviewed here. There are several types of mixers by several manufacturers out there that use the iPad as either the 'brains' of the mixing board or as PreSonus does, uses the iPad as a remote, wireless device that links to the mixer and allows the engineer to walk almost anywhere in a place and tweak the mixer. No more big ol wad of cables and such run to the back of the 'house' to where the mixing engineer controls the sound and mix. Just a WiFi connection and an iPad (or computer).

The same for DAWs. There are several 'hardwire' devices out there that control a DAW in an area outside the control area. Pedals, small fader ports, remote mixers, etc.

As for REAPER, the DAW I am currently using, there are a few apps for the iPad that do the same, in an even larger array, wireless. I can sit on a bench in the 'player' area and, by iPad, control my DAW as I would as if I was sitting behind the desk.

So, in my opinion, and many others, the iPad (and/or tablets) are the future of musical production and sound engineering. It's already possible now for each member of a band to have an iPhone or iPad at their location and have control over their own sound.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic