Poll - do you use an iPad or another tablet for your music activities?

michelew

Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:05 pm

This poll accompanies the thread at this location.

http://www.totallyguitars.com/forum/4-g ... tml#106987

I'm interested in knowing how many of you use an iPad for your musical activities. If you do, what do you use it for? Me? Well almost everything except shooting and editing videos. I do that on my Mac. And I listen to lots of music on my phone. That's it.

The poll question should have been "How important is the iPad or another tablet to your musical activities?"

Shel

Music Junkie

Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:21 pm

I use my IPad a little bit for music, but mostly I use my laptop. I found an app for the IPad called "On the Path" and it offers guitsr lessons from the artists themselves of some great tunes. There are not a great many artists available currently, but they did have Jackson Browne, so I plopped down the $9.99. It has been a bargain as far as I am concerned. B)

J

tovo

Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:44 pm

Like MJ, I tend to use my laptop even though I have an iPad with a number of good music apps on it.

thereshopeyet

Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:37 pm

Michelle

No I don't have an ipad or tablet.

Dermot

willem

Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:39 am

NOT YET...I sure want one for putting in sheetmusic in many sorts,,I've seen musicians using it,,they had a sort of pedal for going to an other page...I did ask
a bout the formats and they say it were pdf's.

daryl

Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:43 am

No iPad or any other tablet. I use my laptop for everything.

BigBear

Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:37 am

Shel- I don't have an iPad but I have a Samsung Galaxy III phone with my entire music library on it. All my TARGET tabs and charts so if I'm out and someone asks me to play a song I don't remember at least I have the music with me.

Not as cool as an iPad but works for right now.

:cheer:

michelew

Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:35 pm

Thanks for your responses everyone.

Bear - it's good to know that you're not doing your back in lugging those monster folders around. I have them too (skinnier ones), though I'm sure my collection of sheet music is minuscule compared to yours. Having a mobile library has a lot of benefits. I find that with actual books too. I can have three or more on the go (and read them on the bus, in the park, at lunch, wherever) without having to lug kilos of paper around. Of course there are down sides to having it on a mobile device, such as the amount of music that you can have on the screen at the one time (at reading size). The amount is getting less, damn it! :) , as my eyes are going into free fall - ageing sucks! :) except for the grey hair of course which is extremely sexy as we all know. :)

Of course, laptops are just as portable as tablets, so all the same advantages are there.

And no, I don't get an Apple commission, it's just what I use and so I have experience with iPad, iPhone and iMac applications.

The point of this thread was really just to share some info about the things I use to complement all of the wonderful teaching resources that Neil provides. I'm sure many of you have your own, which you may not have mentioned here because they don't fit into the mobile platform box.

I might actually start a new thread about the sorts of things you use to fill out your playing experience more generally, like jam tracks/backing tracks, beat generators things of that nature. It's something I haven't explored yet, but I'll need to if I'm going ever get some decent percussion tracks into my videos. Or...yep, I should find real human being to play with. It's true. :)

Willem - we know what you WOULD vote, but it appears you forgot to record your option. :)

Thanks again.

Shel

thereshopeyet

Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:09 am

Interesting results in your Poll Michelle!

Dermot

:)

dtaylor

Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:46 am

Thanks for the info Michele, I do use an iPad and will look into some of the apps you mention. I use Songsterr as a tab resource/player, like guitar pro, it has a good depth of material to peruse.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic