Belated NGD Tanglewood TW40 OAN

heyjoe

Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:59 pm

Just thought I'd post a review of my new guitar, albeit one that I did a trade for in August this year.

It does have a bit of a story behind it too.
In June 2012 I was on a family holiday ( with all 8 in laws :P ) in Shropshire when I wen to Ludlow for day out.
The market was on and I was having a wander round when something caught my eye. One of the stalholders was playing a guitar,
it caught my eye because he was selling hats, shoes and handbags, but I spotted two open guitar cases. The guitar he was playing looked old, and was intrigued. So I went and had a chat with him-he was a very amenable gent who was happy to chat about his guitars.

The two guitars were a 1960's Gibson acoustic which he had owned since new, which was lovely, and a Blueridge, I'd never seen one of these before.
It was a very detailed guitar, lots of pearl on it, not something I normally like, but it sounded fantastic. The gent ( whose name I sadly cant remember) was happy to let me play both guitars. I knew then that I needed a new acoustic, so fearing the worst, I asked prices..the Gibson was seven thousand, and th Blueridge was well over a thousand. If I'd had the cash the Blueridge would have been coming home with me.

At the end of the holiday I came home and started searching the internet for this Blueridge guitar ( our holiday home didnt have internet access, or mobile access,, 2 weeks of torture!), and found out that it was a BR-183 000 Historicor similar. I knew I couldn't afford it, so I started the hunt for something similar, but better suited to my budget. I had the blueridge guitars size and spec sheet with me when I was looking around, just in case.

So one day I decided to have a drive to my local guitar shop, 10 minutes away, just to see what he has in. I fancied playing some new acoustics and talking o the shop guys. The shop is empty, so I tell him about the Blueridge in Ludlow, and ask him if he has anything in stock which is similar, but cheaper. I try a few guitars, and then he hands me this.

A Tanglewood TW40 OAN

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Well that was it. The Blueridge was forgotten! This was now the guitar I had to have, it felt right straight away, sounded amazing when strummed and when fingerpicked, and it was exactly what I was looking for. Even better, the sales guy was happy to trade for it.

So, later that day I went back with a PRS Singlecut ( which had been a present off a family member-they were happy for me to trade it) a Squier strat, which I had bought for £10, and a Fender Champion 600 amplifier which I bought a few months before at a trade show for £60. The Sales guy even threw in a set of elixir 80/20 bronze strings as well-the guitar comes with these as standard.

The price on the guitar was just below £400, so I was happy with the trade. A few weeks later I went into the national guitar chain in a nearby town and saw the same guitar marked up for its retail price of £489!

I've played this guitar almost every day since I've had it and I can't imagine ever selling it. The tone just keeps improving on it the more I play it, and its perfect for fingerstyle, which is what I'm concentrating on these days. It doesn't have any electronics on it, its just pure acoustic, pure tone and I'm glad I bought it.

I'd happily recommend you try one sometime, the neck profile isn't for everyone, but the way this guitar looks, sounds and feels really works for me.

Joe

tombo1230

Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:31 pm

That's a great story. Congratulations on your find. As far as finding a new guitar is concerned, I would say that you used logic and common sense to end up with a guitar that suits your needs and tastes to a tee. This was definately the right way to go about things.

One of my guitars is a Tanglewood a TW45 HB Heritage, a lovely folky fingerpicking guitar with nice tone.

All we need now is to hear this fine instrument of yours. ;) :)

Tom N.

Yamaha48

Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:52 pm

Hi Joe.

Thanks for the great storry that you looking for a guitar.
Tanglewood a good one,i have the TW115AS with preamp on board.
The headstock looks like Martin,the deck is made from spruce.
A good guitar for a low price,315 Euro with a Tobaco bag and Elixer strings.
I wish you a good time with your Tanglewood.
cheers Anton

sbutler

Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:23 pm

Joe, The more I learn and know, the more I am convinced that they way you went about picking your new favorite, is the way to go. Let your fingers and your ears tell your heart you have to have it. Leave your eyes out of it until you get it home.

Scott

neverfoundthetime

Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:33 pm

Thanks Joe, doesn't a good guitar story just warm the cockles of your heart! Hope you'll both be very happy together.

I'm just a little confused about the 8 in-laws... did you marry triplets?!! ;-)

heyjoe

Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:59 am

TomThanks,yes in hindsight it was the right way to go about it, it all worked out well. The TW45 HB is a gorgeous looking guitar, bet it sounds beautiful as well. Mine is great for fingerpicking too. It doesnt have any electrics in it, so if I record it, it will be through the videocamera mic, which isnt up to much.

AntonThanks, I'd never looked at Tanglewood guitars before this, but they are great guitars for a good price-hope you are having a good time with yours too.

ScottI think you are right, when it comes to a new guitar, it has to be fingers and ears first, and then the looks. Oddly though, it was the look of the guitar that first attracted me! The feel was there straight away-when I hit a chord I felt the vibrations in my body through the back of the guitar, I knew there and then I had to have it. Its a great feeling when you know straight away, its happened to me a few times, and I get goosebumps each time.

ChrisMy cockles were indeed warmed. I knew someone was going to ask about the in-laws situation. I went on holiday with my wife, her sister, her mother, her father, her 2 grandmothers and 1 grandfather. Oops, only the 6 in laws sorry, it did feel like more at time! Oh yes, there were 3 dogs there too! All in 1 property too- I was glad that there was a lot of alcohol there!

Joe

MarkM

Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:53 pm

Great story Joe!! Congratulations on a new guitar. Nothing like that feeling. I actually thought it was a Blueridge when I saw the picture. Looks just like one with that pick guard. I'm glad that guitar spoke to you and told you to bring it home. Truly the best way to bring an addition into the family.

MarkM

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic