Which songs do you refuse to let go of?

dennisg

Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:39 pm

I was playing the guitar this morning, and after going through Here Comes the Sun and Blackbird, I thought to myself, "Man, I've been playing those songs for a long time." Then it occurred to me that there are some songs I allow to just evaporate from my brain while I've got this core of about six or eight other songs that, for one reason or another, I don't want to let go of so that I never forget them.

Do you have songs like that -- songs you've known for awhile that you always want to hang on to? If so, which ones?

willem

Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:19 pm

dennisg wrote:
I was playing the guitar this morning, and after going through Here Comes the Sun and Blackbird, I thought to myself, "Man, I've been playing those songs for a long time." Then it occurred to me that there are some songs I allow to just evaporate from my brain while I've got this core of about six or eight other songs that, for one reason or another, I don't want to let go of so that I never forget them.

Do you have songs like that -- songs you've known for awhile that you always want to hang on to? If so, which ones?

Dennis,when I started learning the guitar and get pushed by a friend who showed me ''blackbird'' I thought YES I want to be able playing guitar and learn that song,,from the beginning that I started I was on ''BLACKBIRD'' and play it very often and don't want to forget it..and it is still fun..and maybe you don't believe it,,I added a second to my ''I never want to forget it'' IT ISSSSSSSSS,,,,Yes,,''HERE COMES THE SUN'' but the instrumental one..

Willem

Edit,,there is a third that I play often and don't want to forget because we play it always when we are together,,it is ,,''AND I LOVE HER''

daryl

Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:32 pm

I seem to play (or at least attempt to play) Tommy's "Angelina" and "Those Who Wait" nearly every time I pick up my guitar. There is something about those two melodies that just grab me.

tovo

Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:51 pm

Two Clapton tunes come immediately to mind. Tears in Heaven (Which I play pretty well) and Layla which I struggle with in terms of the 2 solos, but periodically return to. I think as I progress as a player, Layla will get better for me and I look forward to that. I refuse to let go of the DREAM of playing Tightrope and Pride and Joy. One day.

neverfoundthetime

Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:11 pm

If You Could Read My Mind - Lightfoot
Simple Game - Moodies
Year of The Cat - Al Stewart
The Story in Your Eyes - Moodies
Scarboro' Faire - S&G
...and a couple of tunes I wrote myself ... Cold as Gold was one I posted.

Music Junkie

Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:15 pm

Dennis:

I have a few like that......

From the Beginning by ELP
My My, Hey Hey by NY
Landslide by Fleetwood Mac
Indigo Passion by ARS

None of these are what I would consider difficult (although I cannot play them perfectly). They just fall back to the first days I realized that I was going to be able to play if I stuck with it. They sure can be a comfort zone at times too. On nights that I am really struggling, they can calm me down and keep my guitar spirits up.... B)

suziko

Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:28 pm

Strangely enough, they're almost all fingerpicking tunes:

Landslide
Kathy's Song
Time after Time
Alice's Restaurant
Here Comes the Sun

And a few strumming such as:

America (Simon and Garfunkel)
June Hymn
Closer to Fine

frybaby

Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:28 pm

Tom Waits - I Hope That I Dont Fall in Love with YOU.

neverfoundthetime

Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:35 pm

I do Kathy's Song too Sue... but just the intro each time!

daryl

Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:57 pm

suziko wrote:
Strangely enough, they're almost all fingerpicking tunes:

Landslide
Kathy's Song
Time after Time
Alice's Restaurant
Here Comes the Sun

And a few strumming such as:

America (Simon and Garfunkel)
June Hymn
Closer to Fine
Sue, That's an impressive set list! You could be an opening act for someone. Maybe someday?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic