Electric guitar - eliminating unwanted string noise; does Neil have any lessons on this?

michelew

Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:24 am

Hey TG-ers,

I'm playing my electric at the moment. Yeh! I'm noticing noise from strings I don't intend to hit, especially the sixth string. I've tried to keep it still with the base of my thumb slightly when I'm not suppose to be playing it, which seem to be working, but restricts my hand a bit and...well I'm sure there are better ways of keeping electric strings quiet which I'm just not aware of yet.

So my question is, does Neil have any advice for keeping strings quiet, lower and higher strings (besides not hitting them :) ) in any of this song lessons or other lesson segments? If so, can you name the songs and/or lessons please?

Or do I just have to play more precisely?

Thanks

Michele

Edit - Neil gives great advice on muting electric strings in this week's news http://www.totallyguitars.com/forum/145 ... -2013.html it starts at about 11:06 minutes. Thanks so much Neil, that's exactly what I was after.

Thanks

Michele

sbutler

Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:22 am

Yes.

great picture of you by the way.

michelew

Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:50 am

Thanks Scott. :) Regarding my profile picture.

And Thaaaanksss??? But, what are you answering?. Yes, I just need to play more precisely? Dang! I guess I just need to be more careful. :)

Thanks

Michele

daryl

Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:43 am

Are you talking about strumming or picking individual strings? Perhaps you can put up a quick video here showing us the problem.

willem

Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:57 am

When I only look at an electric then it makes noise allready,,

michelew

Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:11 am

daryl wrote:
Are you talking about strumming or picking individual strings? Perhaps you can put up a quick video here showing us the problem.
A video. Hmmmm :) what a good idea. :) I'm getting it strumming power chords. I think I just need to focus my attack more. I wasn't sure whether I was actually hitting the sixth string because it wasn't very loud. But, I must be clipping it. So I'll try to focus my strum more and if that doesn't work I'll shoot a video.

Thanks.

Shel

daryl

Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:58 am

To me, playing an electric guitar requires a different kind of finesse ("1. Refinement and delicacy of performance, execution, or artisanship. 2. Skillful, subtle handling of a situation; tactful, diplomatic maneuvering."). Good luck.

daryl

Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:12 am

Haha, nicely said!! ;) :P

daryl wrote:
To me, playing an electric guitar requires a different kind of finesse ("1. Refinement and delicacy of performance, execution, or artisanship. 2. Skillful, subtle handling of a situation; tactful, diplomatic maneuvering."). Good luck.

michelew

Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:27 pm

nesh16041972 wrote:
Haha, nicely said!! ;) :P

daryl wrote:
WOW!! :) Gosh! Well that sounds like you to be sure.

SO, I need to learn to become and artisan, subtle and diplomatic... and work on my bitchin' guitar faces and a rockin' attitude (for Kevin). ...

NO pressure then :) :) :) :P

michelew

Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:20 pm

Neil gives great advice on muting electric strings in this week's news http://www.totallyguitars.com/forum/145 ... -2013.html it starts at about 11:06 minutes. Thanks so much Neil, that's exactly what I was after.

Thanks

Michele

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic