Open Tuning Musing

auntlynnie

Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:05 am

I have begun to look at open tunings. After working on several lessons in Double Dropped D, it was natural to try Open G (DGDGBD).
I started to look at Neil's lesson on Big Yellow Taxi, but, OOPs, realized I was in the wrong tuning. However, by transposing it, it sounds pretty good in open G, if a little different.
So I thought, what other songs might sound good in open G? I have a few guitars and I tend to leave one in an open tuning, or at least Double Dropped D, and compile a list of songs to play in that tuning. So last night I started to compile a list of songs that, if not originally done in that tuning, at least sound pretty good in it.

Here is my list so far:
The Dutchman
Big Yellow Taxi
Here Comes the Sun (sounds a bit like the Richie Havens cover)
Nowhere Man
Octopus Garden
The Long and Winding Road
Hey Jude

Anyone have any ideas for songs to add? Or songs that you play in open G? I should mention that I love covers of songs, so I'm not necessarily trying to duplicate the original....

Lynn

jcrocket

Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:14 am

'Longer' by Dan Fogelberg is a lóvely song in open G!

Edit:

Example:

neverfoundthetime

Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:12 pm

Maybe I can turn you on to this one in open D, Dan Fogelberg, The Reach.
I learned to play this from Ray Koukal who is playing it here... he has a tutorial on it on YT.

lueders

Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:31 pm

Hello Lynn,

I'm probably not telling you anything you don't know but the Rolling Stones have a number of songs in Open G.
Honky Tonk Women is one that comes to mind. There is a target lesson on it. Love in Vain, a Robert Johnson cover of theirs is also in open G.

willem

Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:30 pm

nesh16041972 wrote:
'Longer' by Dan Fogelberg is a lóvely song in open G!

Edit:

Example:

Here You beat your self on Vincent...gee what beautiful Vanessa,,I can only dream I guess..

auntlynnie

Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:36 pm

Wow, thank you for posting the videos....
I didn't remember "Longer", butnas soon as you began singing it, Ness, it came back to me. What a nice song!
And "The Reach" is new to me... Thanks for posting it neverfoundthetime. I love bringing something totally new into my repitoire.
I really appreciate your responses!

cheers!
Lynn

michelew

Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:03 am

WOW Nessa. This performance of yours ALWAYS blows me away. It's just so, so beautiful, everything about it. Your singing is so soft and sensitive, but strong too. Your playing is beyond gorgeous, so clean and expressive. Your expressions are a delight to watch. I even like the graceful way that you hands move on the fretboard. This recording never fails to go straight to my heart and make me feel a mix of emotions. It's simply gorgeous.

I love it when you post links to your videos. They are nice reminders to watch them again.

I'm trying to learn a bunch of stuff at the moment as you know. But, this video sure is one that makes me want to learn the song myself (well like so many others you do).

Thanks for reposting it.

Shel

cosmicmechanic

Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:07 am

Glad to hear that I've reminded you of such a beautiful song Lynn!! :) :) (if you need the sheets/tabs, just pm your emailadress)

Gosh, Willem and Shel...... :blush: :blush: sweeties you are!! :kiss: :kiss: :cheer: :P .....aaaah you leave me speechless.... :side: B) ;)

Ness

tacticaltal

Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:13 pm

Vanessa, would you send me the tab for this? email in PM

terry

suziko

Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:38 pm

Terry, I'd be happy to, but no pm just yet, try again please! :)

tacticaltal wrote:
Vanessa, would you send me the tab for this? email in PM

terry

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic