Whose ability would you want?

tovo

Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:23 pm

As I surf Youtube I come across a lot of videos 'in the style' of great guitarists. So the video might be a short lesson in the style of BB King for example.

Which got me thinking. If you could have the style and ability of any player, who would it be? if you could instantly be granted the playing style and ability of any player who would you pick?

For me, it would be a dream to have the playing ability of SRV. (As an aside, it is such a shame that when a great passes away all that ability, all that experience, all that music passes with them.)

Whose ability would you want?

BigBear

Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:56 pm

Tony- Easy for me. David Gilmour of Pink Floyd. Every note matters and is delivered with crystal clarity. Never a note wasted. Not a speed demon like SRV but has a style that I find very compelling.

Close seconds are Stephen Stills and Ritchie Blackmore of Deep Purple and Blackmore's Night fame. :cheer:

sbutler

Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:58 pm

Oh absolutely Nancy Wilson (one of the Heart's sisters!)!! :woohoo:

Reminds me that I should play this song again!

:) :) ;)

dennisg

Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:05 pm

Without a doubt, I'd love to play like Tommy E. The guy can play anything, and he plays it all with a style and a sense of fun that I really admire.

michelew

Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:13 pm

Ness! Not only is she an awesome player and has her own wonderful style, but then I'd get her ability to emulate others too! :) :) :)

Oh and Jaason Mraz if it has to be a professionally recorded artist. :)

neverfoundthetime

Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:20 pm

I know you won't be expecting this from me but I listened to a lot of Spanish classical as a youth as my mother started to play at age 45.... so it would be Paco De Lucia. If you haven't heard this, you need to....

Edit: Deleted the video as I found a much better version which doesn't cut out 60 seconds before the edning!

See below

neverfoundthetime

Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:36 pm

...oh man, I can't believe that video cuts out before the grand finale! Too bad!

Edit: Ah found a clip where they get together again to play that piece.... with ending! Aad you can actually see what they are doing:

Here's one that does end.... and its got some blues in it for you Tony at about 5:00

tvarga

Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:08 pm

dennisg wrote:
Without a doubt, I'd love to play like Tommy E. The guy can play anything, and he plays it all with a style and a sense of fun that I really admire.
I second the vote for Tommy! Absolutely incredible skills.

I also like Rodrigo's playing of Rodrigo Y Gabriella.

And no question, Dave Gilmour ... for a very different kind of playing.

sbutler

Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:12 pm

Tommy E. Without a doubt. With skills like that, you can play anything.

Now when it comes to knowledge all things guitar neck, I'd have to go with our buddy Neil H.

Thats my final answer.

Scott

michelew

Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:52 pm

Tommy is amazing. I have to admit that I sometimes find it hard to listen to him, especially when he is in larkin mode and jumping all over the place looking for a laugh rather than sticking with the song and allowing the emotion/feeling to build. I find it ... jolts my ears sometimes. So i wouldn't want to emulate that style. (I this blasphemy for an Aussie to say? - perhaps). But yes, he is undeniably an awesome musician among awesome musicians and I'd love his abilities. And when he's playing expressively I'd love to have his style.

Now Muriel Anderson... Another AMAZING musician, artist ... pure and simple. She also ... is there an appropriate word for the level of skill that Tommy and Muriel have? Anyway, she also has a spirit and playfulness that i find endearing and above all a way of channelling her passion into her playing. Well all real musical artists do I guess.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic