Whose ability would you want?

tombo1230

Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:00 pm

An absolute ditto on Muriel!!! She is just AMAZING and AWESOME :woohoo: ! And actually ditto on your point on Tommy E......no matter how great he is, he doesn't move me....but he is no doubt an ABSOLUTE virtuoso among virtuosos...! :P

michelew wrote:
Tommy is amazing. I have to admit that I sometimes find it hard to listen to him, especially when he is in larkin mode and jumping all over the place looking for a laugh rather than sticking with the song and allowing the emotion/feeling to build. I find it ... jolts my ears sometimes. So i wouldn't want to emulate that style. (I this blasphemy for an Aussie to say? - perhaps). But yes, he is undeniably an awesome musician among awesome musicians and I'd love his abilities. And when he's playing expressively I'd love to have his style.

Now Muriel Anderson... Another AMAZING musician, artist ... pure and simple. She also ... is there an appropriate word for the level of skill that Tommy and Muriel have? Anyway, she also has a spirit and playfulness that i find endearing and above all a way of channelling her passion into her playing. Well all real musical artists do I guess.

kelemenj

Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:17 pm

No question for me. It would be Pete Townshend. Joe Strummer and Johnny Ramone rank highly as well but Pete is a creative genius. I wouldn't mind a side of Clapton and Brian Setzer to go with it though.
John

tovo

Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:01 pm

It's great to get some really interesting responses. I saw Tommy just a couple of months ago. Brilliant he was. I'm actually really pleased to see Brian Setzer come up. Sure he is an exponent of a single style being rockabilly, but I suspect he's pretty accomplished overall. I think I've gotta spend some time listening to Muriel Anderson as well. She sure has some big fans here. So we have:

1. Tommy E
2. Muriel Anderson
3. Dave Gilmour
4. Nancy Wilson

Then a few single mentions:

5. SRV
6. Pete Townsend
7. Brian Setzer
8. Eric Clapton
9. Paco De Lucia
10. Jason Mraz
11. Stephen Stills
12. Ritchie Blackmore
13. Rodrigo
14. Joe Strummer
15. Joey Ramone

Not looking a bad (albeit eclectic) list is it?! How many of them are on the 'Rolling Stone greatest 100 of all time list'? About 25% maybe?

tacticaltal

Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:23 am

I'd suppose Roy Clark Belongs somewhere on this list, like, perhaps #1 :woohoo:

A master of several instruments, and a great comedian, as illustrated n the 2nd video, belo.

neverfoundthetime

Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:50 am

Wow, that's piece of the historical record right there with Roy Clark, the way TV is portraying it.... lookee here at this geetar thang I'm a playin', quite the doohicky, aint it?! And I can do it real fast too! Its almost as if he's playing a banjo. I guess it wasn't until the 60's and 70's that all of the effects and powered up amps kicked in to gice us the guitar sound we now know.... no to mention the arrival of rock 'n' roll!

coomba

Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:23 am

Eric Clapton for me and I also really like the smooth sound of Carlos Santana

willem

Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:42 am

Ability's? I would like to have so many...When I follow my heart it would be any kind of acoustic bleus and then from the basics were it all started..

here is an example..well its Clapton but he has it from someone too I guess.. but its that style..

I would also wish to have all the knowledge a bout guitar,,maybe we have to learn classic style at first,,,I guess....

heyjoe

Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:30 am

Great question Tony!

I've been thinking and got it narrowed down to 5, I 'd happily have any of these guys talent.
In no particular order

Another vote for Tommy E.
Chet Atkins
Jerry Reed-check out the video of him and Chet on youtube doing Jerrys breakdown-amazing.
Jerry Donahue-check him on youtube doing the beak/the claw-ridiculous
SRV

Just watching those videos gives me chills

Joe

suziko

Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:12 am

Nancy Wilson ranks very high on my list. But I'm going with Ani Difranco. Not only is she a great guitarist, she's a righteous babe! :)

snipe

Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:18 pm

If I could play as well as Jimi Page I would be happy, but perhaps not in this lifetime!
Pete Townsend too.
Mike

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic