Whose ability would you want?

Music Junkie

Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:19 pm

This is another one of those questions that is near impossible to give a singular answer to....

It would all depend on what aspect I am focusing on.... :unsure:

Bruce Cockburn has a tremendous skill when it comes to his thumb work and keeping s killer bass line going during his fingerpicking. I have just recently discovered his music (must have been living under a rock when it comes to him - maybe Canada's best kept secret...lol)

Tommy E. has it all, and his knowledge of the fretboard and where to go with it is something we all probably aspire to....

Clapton can really make the instrument take on a life of it's own.

Our very own Neil has such a great grasp on theory and the technical ability to put it to use.

Then, there are guys out there that would be considered intermediate players, but have wonderful song writing abilities. Their technical skills may not be off the charts, but they have an inherent knack for finding the perfect progression or voicing to sell an emotion. My guy Jackson Browne comes to mind.

So, to answer your question Tony, I would gladly take the skills of ANY of the people mentioned in this thread. They are all wonderful and talented. ;)

abiliog

Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:55 pm

Hi,
Some really good ones already mentioned. Tommy E, Muriel Anderson and Paco de Lucia, absolutely love any of them.
But if it was possible osmosis to occur, I would stay near David Gilmour, Steve Howe and this guy for a while :)

Abilio

Music Junkie

Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:37 pm

abiliog wrote:
Hi,
Some really good ones already mentioned. Tommy E, Muriel Anderson and Paco de Lucia, absolutely love any of them.
But if it was possible osmosis to occur, I would stay near David Gilmour, Steve Howe and this guy for a while :)

Abilio
Abilio: I have three or four of Steve's albums, and was very much into his music in the early 90's while I was in college. Have you ever seen his practice routines? They are insane! :woohoo: I would bet that most of the names in this thread have practice routines to match though, otherwise they would not be on the list....lol

Very talented player.

dtaylor

Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:24 pm

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=1siQIq6CGEg

There's something about Lindsey's playing, but probably more his song writing and spirit which I find irresistible, he's quirky and unpredictable and always original. I'd love to be able to write a song like Lindsey Buckingham. He was just born great.

wrench

Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:34 am

Not that I would take HIS ability away from him, but the skill set I work toward is...Neil Hogan.

cosmicmechanic

Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:39 pm

Well Tony ... your thread title didn't actually insist on guitar ability ... I wonder if that was intentional ...

The following is from an actual 1961 Superman comic !

tovo

Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:54 pm

Lol. No Pierre it wasn't intentional. I wish it was though! I can always count on you to think outside of the box. :)

cosmicmechanic

Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:06 am

Well Tony, I guess this is all my fault then, can't blame it on you ...

Since your response, I added the missing introductory pages (above), before leaving you guys hanging ... :silly:

lueders

Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:37 am

I know we're supposed to narrow this down to ONE player but that is just too hard.
I was just happy to narrow it down to a couple people with the same name.lol
See, there's these two guys named "Neil" that are both into toy trains and each play a really mean axe. I'll let you guess their respective last names. ;) I suspect one of these two Neils is a little more articulate in explaining what he's actually doing on the fretboard...I'll let you guess which one on that too. lol!

And in keeping with the same theme...Here's a couple guys named Mark & Marc that are pretty darn slick!

Catman

Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:48 am

My choices would be TE in the acoustic world and Dave Gilmour in the electric one

Although I do understand those who have reservations with Tommy Emmanuel's flying off on tangents, I admire the confidence and ability that allow him to do it.

-David

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic