Guitar goals for 2013 - what's yours?

jimcjimc

Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:51 pm

Hi Shel,

Since you asked, I did write down some goals for guitar this year, and the first thing I wrote down was:

Play the Damn Thing Every Day!

But seriously, my goals are:

1) Work on learning to finger-pick. And following Neil's advice, I am starting with "House of the Rising Sun"

2) Work on strumming (with a pick on the guitar, and learning different ukulele strums)

(As always, it's all about the right hand!)

I also want to spend more time on slack key and Hawaiian music.

Thanks,
Jim

drfuji

Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:43 pm

Just want to get to a point where I am comfortable playing in front of an audience...My bedpost is getting tired of being the only one to listen to me. I believe the rush of playing live before people will drive me to learn other techniques and help me to better myself..I host an acoustic guitar night in our town, and have played a couple of times, but still not comfortable...

Bob c.

michelew

Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:13 pm

It's been great reading all of these responses. Each one of them reminds me of something else I'd like to achieve, but... Well my list is already so long.

Daryl - great goals and fun too. I also want to get more happening on the bass. I've learned enough bass to record a couple of bass parts for a few videos, but I haven't really gotten the basics down yet and I'd like to be able to just improvise a simple bass line to any progression. Patterns and getting to know the fretboard are key here initially I think - I'm hoping the power chord, barre work and the pentatonic stuff will help with the bass in a tangential way too. I also want to improve my videos. I've been thinking of getting First Cut, but that's a big learning commitment all by itself. I'd like to learn some Beatles bass lines too. :) and then there is the desire to play with other people, ... Add it to the list, but I feel like I need to feel more confident with all the barre work first. :)

Tom - cool goals there. Yes I'm conscious that I couldn't play an improvised lead to save my life, but that's another big commitment and will need to wait while I get the basics together a bit more.

Nessa - those goals sound perfect for you. I love that you're getting into Jason Mraz. You're definitely inspiring me to learn his songs, which I've loved listening to for ages and have always felt were a bit beyond my playing ability. He's cool. I'm looking forward to seeing all the fabulous posts you have for us this year.

Suzi - good luck! The way you challenge yourself is an inspiration. I'll be watching in awe. I really need to do more pick work as well.

Den - I probably won't get through half of them, for instance the pentatonic stuff is likely to be slow going, but they are all things I'd like to achieve, many of them will happen just through picking or continuing to work on the right songs. Fun is definitely on the cards and I've got you in my head reminding me to have fun often.

Jim - good goals - don't forget to post stuff too, there are a few slots in the ukulele thread with your name on them, reserved just for you. :)

Bob - that's a great goal.

Thanks for sharing everyone.

Shel

michelew

Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:54 am

I think I've decided on my next long-term project. It's got serious groove (swing time and syncopation), a cool bass line, great electric lead work, LOTS of barre work (including A-shapes, hinges and lots of 7ths) and it's a seriously fun song. It will be fun to sing too. I'm smiling listening to it. Too cool. Oh and importantly it's a song I've always loved.

What is it? Haha! Mum's the word. I'm not saying. But, if you think you know and want to play a game of guess with me, PM me and I'll give you an honest yeh or neh. It's one I started looking at some time ago now, I think a few regulars did and got excited when it was released as a TG lesson.

OK - off to remind myself why I didn't get far last time and to see how far I've progressed in that time. I hope I'm not in for a rude shock. :) it's very cool. ;)

:P

Shel

michelew

Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:29 am

Hmmmm......no idea....but definitely very curious now! :P Good luck!! ;)

michelew wrote:
I think I've decided on my next long-term project. It's got serious groove (swing time and syncopation), a cool bass line, great electric lead work, LOTS of barre work (including A-shapes, hinges and lots of 7ths) and it's a seriously fun song. It will be fun to sing too. I'm smiling listening to it. Too cool. Oh and importantly it's a song I've always loved.

What is it? Haha! Mum's the word. I'm not saying. But, if you think you know and want to play a game of guess with me, PM me and I'll give you an honest yeh or neh. It's one I started looking at some time ago now, I think a few regulars did and got excited when it was released as a TG lesson.

OK - off to remind myself why I didn't get far last time and to see how far I've progressed in that time. I hope I'm not in for a rude shock. :) it's very cool. ;)

:P

Shel

michelew

Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:54 pm

Curious? Good, that was my very secret devious plot of course. :) But, no guessing? Where's the fun in that? :). The song is a lot of fun, especially on the electric as the barres are SO much easier.

Shel

villisca

Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:01 pm

My goals for the guitar in 2013 ? hmmmm...... actually (being only like a week or so into learning anything about it ) I want to learn to play one song. I would also like to get the timing thing down. (cause i cant seem to match the metronome no matter how hard I try lol ) And I would like to get the basic chords so I can move easy between them. With those things down I think I would be happy for 2013.
Oh and maybe understanding more of the things you guys are talking about lol (but ill learn in time (I hope lol )). :unsure:
Villisca :)

michelew

Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:47 pm

villisca wrote:
My goals for the guitar in 2013 ? hmmmm...... actually (being only like a week or so into learning anything about it ) I want to learn to play one song. I would also like to get the timing thing down. (cause i cant seem to match the metronome no matter how hard I try lol ) And I would like to get the basic chords so I can move easy between them. With those things down I think I would be happy for 2013.
Oh and maybe understanding more of the things you guys are talking about lol (but ill learn in time (I hope lol )). :unsure:

Hey Villisca,

It's great to see you here thinking about your goals for the year. They are great ones for sure. I'm guessing that you'll surprise yourself by achieving them faster than you expected to. That's part of the fun of this thread. Although I expect to take much more than a year to achieve mine since I sort of got carried away with my wish-list. ... which is SO unlike me :) :) :) not!

Lots of people find playing against the metronome tricky at first. It helps if you slow it down so that it's more manageable. You can also try just clapping to the metronome or tapping your foot without the guitar too, before you start playing anything. That will help to get the rhythm in you head and body and hands so you can then translate the same rhythm and timing to your strumming and chord changes. When it gets hard, it helps to find a way to make it more simple until you feel comfortable again and can then add the next thing that makes it trickier (like speeding things up). The timing thing just takes practice. When you're at the point when you can play against a recording (like one of Neil's play-alongs or a slowed down album track) it becomes more interesting. The metronome is your friend, even if you're not seeing eye to eye just yet. It gets easier the more you do it.

Don't worry about not getting everything that people are saying or even lots of it. I'm sure we're talking in jargon often. Just soak it up like a sponge and before you know it the pieces will start to come together and you'll be having 'aha!" moments. Don't be afraid to ask if need to or googling is really helpful too as with all things. :)

Good luck with your goals. Be sure to report back and let us know when you've achieved any of them.

Keep playing. Have fun.

Shel

tombo1230

Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:49 pm

villisca wrote:
Great goals Villisca!
To learn to play a song is really not that far off you know. Pick an easy song from the free lessons with three chords, learn the three chords, learn to change between the three chords changing chords on the upstrum with a basic strum pattern or whatever Neils lesson tells you to do and once you can play that accompaniment you can actually then play hundreds of songs.

As far as playing with a metronome is concerned, the secret is to slow the playing down as slow as you can play it smoothly. That means turning the metronome down. At any stage of learning you should always play in time even slowly, keep your strumming hand going even when you are supposed to be playing a missed strum. Speed comes once you've played it this way and the hand to brain route is set in stone. Practicing slow keeps you from introducing/learning mistakes, so when you can play it fast it will also be clean. Last word..... learn in small chunks and as you go make sure you can join the chunks together, oh yes and don't stop the strumming hand. :)

Tom n.

Rod

Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:30 pm

Hey Shel

All sounds familiar. I not gonna go into my goals for the year, cos they been the same for years and you described it perfect.
I know where you are, I was thinking how the hell do all these guys in bars and clubs know how to do what there doing and
how the hell do they remember all the songs and improvise over the solo section in the style of the song. I felt like i was learning something
and then when I replayed it i was just pressing buttons cos i had it memorised. Very frustrating cos you know you can play it but
you cant carry it over into improvisation or reuse it with your own songs.
For me I found its all about knowing where you are and what your options are.
1. what key am I in.
2. Learn the chord progressions as they relate to the key ie. 1-4-5 for blues. You will find that in western popular music
some formulas repeat time after time. Look at this vid
You could spend years learning all these songs, but if you learn the formula and transcribe it. cuts the work down.
You can pick one song you know already and learn the formula on the way to work (dead time i call it) maybe not Blackbird as the melody
is quite strong and it would be hard to improvise over.
3. If you want to use some pentatonic scales to play some lead. Take some sort of chord jam and put a small lead break in.
Maybe just 4 or six notes, as small lick. Its all about timing at first. After a while you can add more licks. I did this with blues as its easy to find
blues jam tracks to play along with try. http://www.guitargackingtrack.com/
4. Don't work on to much. Master small challenges rather than breaking it up into bass, classical, electric. There all the same if you are aware of
your key and scales available and the chord progression.
5. Learn the CAGED technique it will help a lot with knowlage of where you are.

Anyway that's my little rant over.. just sounds like your in a place I been, and I'm telling you how I moved on from it.

Rod.

--
Cheers Rod...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic