TG on the TV - use ipad or PC??

kep67

Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:04 pm

I would like to feed TG into my big screen TV, then I could get my kids going on some beginner lessons.
I have considered an ipad. However, when I was in BB the other day looking at ipads, I could not get TG to run on the ipad.
The BB 'geek' could not find an app online and was unable to get it to run, but he was also not at all interested or helpful either - just shrugged and walked away.

Has anyone hooked up an ipad or PC to their TV?
Shouldn't lessons work over an ipad? I was able to log into the site, but when I selected a lesson an icon with a slash through it appeared on the screen.

Thanks for any help.

neverfoundthetime

Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:18 pm

I think Michele and Dennis use iPads.... I've been playing lessons over my iPhone recently, no problem but I was going through Safari not an app.
Chris

trix606

Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:36 pm

I've used my iPad to watch lessons. Like Chris said, you don't need an app, just the native Safari web browser that comes loaded on the iPad. To watch TG lessons, I find that you have to select the video resolution on the lesson page first and then hit the play button.
As for watching lessons on the TV from an iPad, your best bet is a $99 Apple TV that connects to your TV and allows you to stream video via AirPlay from the iPad. While I haven't used this for TG lessons, I have watched a lot of videos from the web using my iPad and AirPlay to my Apple TV.
You can also connect the iPad via cables.

For more info check this web page.

Harry

Music Junkie

Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:49 pm

I went to Fry's Electronics here in Southern California and bought a $30 adapter that goes from the standard IPad/IPod connection to HDMI and just plugged the HDMI cable into the TV..... Worked like a charm.... The Safari Browser to www.totallyguitars.com and you are on your way......

I did find that using my laptop in the same manner (HDMI out from the laptop to HDMI in on the TV) works great as well. I actully prefer that, because I can use my wireless mouse and keyboard to navigate from across the room.....

Good Luck

The adapter for the Ipad that I mentioned is similar to this one:
http://www.accessorywiz.com/hdmi-adapte ... pad-2.html

MJ

Hydroman52

Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:06 pm

This also works on the Android tablet that I have. It's an older Acer A500 and all I do is plug in an HDMI cable between an HDMI port on my TV and the HDMI port on the tablet (the cable has a standard HDMI end for the TV side and a micro-HDMI end for the tablet side - a very common cable about $7 - $10 US at Amazon.com), and, voila, it works. Whatever I'm viewing on the tablet shows on the TV. If I run it through the HDMI port on the home theater receiver, I also get the full sound from the audio system.

Sound like the BB guy didn't know his stuff. I'm wondering why he didn't to a Google search . . . . . strange.

michelew

Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:22 am

kep67 wrote:
I would like to feed TG into my big screen TV, then I could get my kids going on some beginner lessons.
I have considered an ipad. However, when I was in BB the other day looking at ipads, I could not get TG to run on the ipad.
The BB 'geek' could not find an app online and was unable to get it to run, but he was also not at all interested or helpful either - just shrugged and walked away.

Has anyone hooked up an ipad or PC to their TV?
Shouldn't lessons work over an ipad? I was able to log into the site, but when I selected a lesson an icon with a slash through it appeared on the screen.

Thanks for any help.
I can confirm that the lessons work on an iPad. I often find I need to tap the lesson link multiple times to make them play and I normally watch them in low resolution which doesn't effect my viewing. I do, however, find it best to listen to the listens through headphones when using my iPad.

My tele is an iMac... So I can't advise you on that, but it looks like you have lots of good advice.

Good luck. Great idea to get your kids started now.

M.

wiley

Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:59 am

neverfoundthetime

Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:35 pm

Hey trix606, when did you sneak in to TG? Must have missed you... welcome!

trix606

Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:37 am

Oh thanks Never! I've been quietly soaking up the lessons and forum posts for a while now. Great stuff from Neil and the TG Community.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic