When did you get your very first guitar and what was it?

haoli25

Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:20 am

My first guitar was a ukelele, and a good one too, nothing plastic about it....I was three years old (too young to hold an actual guitar), it's actually one of my earliest memories. My dad's guitarteacher came over and I was so proud that I could play this little children song, C and G7 (F and C7 on a ukelele), so I enthousiastically showed him. What a cranky man he was, he looked at me, he barely smiled. :( :S :dry: .....nowadays, if a three year old would show me that, I'd absolutely LOVE it! :woohoo: Oh well....

Well it certainly didn't hold me back, few years later I got a bigger ukelele (standard tuning, so it must have been a ?), which I used when playing in front of my class. close after that I got my first classical guitar (6/7 years old or something) as well, no idea brand, make blah blah, and learned how to read and play music.

So where did they all go, my dad SOLD all of them! %#$@%@$@%@$!! :ohmy: :( :angry:

My first electric guitar, I was 8 or 9 I think, was a brown Epiphone, I've done a lót of performances with that one and then one day, I was 14 or so......it got stolen, along with my bassguitar and keyboard.... :( :angry: ....what can you do?! :blink: :S

Great storys everyone, lots of sentiments all around! :P ;)

willem

Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:00 am

Okay Tony,,I did'nt get it,I bought it!! :laugh: ,,I really bought it for my son,he was doing a study for school teacher and it is a duty to do something with music and an instrument,,I was afraid he would use a flute(the wooden one),,so I thought I buy him a guitar, but no he never played it and he bought him self a xylofoon for that goal,,

So the guitar was standing and standing and then in one second I thought I must tryed it myself,,,It was a classic nylon stringed guitar with a great tone(still have it)

Willem

Catman

Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:41 am

I think I've told this story before, but at my age I'm allowed to be garrulous (in fact, I think it's a bit of a requirement).

I was 12 at the time, and living on a kibbutz. My mother wanted me to learn a musical instrument. That is, any musical instrument except for the guitar, which was guaranteed to turn me into a dope-addled long-haired hippie hooligan upon contact.

I had already had two years of violin lessons (I agreed to that because during the first couple of lessons the teacher had me hold the violin like a guitar) so I could read music. I wanted to learn saxophone, but the kibbutz didn't have one available and I took up clarinet instead. One day on the way back home from my clarinet lesson, I came across a banged up and broken classical guitar on a rubbish heap. The back and sides were OK, the top was missing on one of the lower bouts, the bridge was coming off, and four of the tuning heads had no buttons.

I filled in the top with a piece of plywood, glued the bridge back on with carpenters' contact glue, and molded buttons for the tuning heads from dental plastic (my dad was a dentist). I got a set of strings and a self teaching book from the kibbutz music room and started teaching myself how to play. Oh, how my mother hated it! Oh, the decadence of "Little Brown Jug"!

I don't recall ever seeing a label in the guitar, but it definitely had a laminate top :). The action was heavenly (i.e. sky high). I kept that guitar until I was 17 and went to live in London for two years. I didn't take it with me, and never saw it again. I think my sister gave it away to a friend.

-David

tombo1230

Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:08 pm

My first guitar was a classical with nylon strings it was quite a nice looking guitar. I don't remember it having any kind of brand name attached. It wasn't really the guitar that I wanted though as I had my eye on a very nice folk guitar with a sunburst. Anyway I was only about eleven at the time and the salesman told my mum that the classical was the best guitar for me. He must have been on commission or something. :(

I loved the sound from that guitar and learned a few chords and also realised that it was more difficult to learn guitar than I had anticipated. My younger brother actually broke the guitar when he sat on it by accident. :S My father made a repair to it and although not too pretty it still worked. I gave it to a mate of mine who was going to nautical college and wanted something to do in his spare time. I would hope he went on to be a guitar player. It was a few years before I got into guitar again and took lessons from a friend of a friend who had played on records.

Tom N.

mark

Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:18 am

It was mid 80's some time and I wondered into a second hand/junk shop and told the owner I wanted to play guitar.

He showed me a Eko acoustic guitar which he informed me was a fine make. He played a few notes and it sounded ok.
So a few minutes later I was leaving the shop lighter by £35 and with a guitar with an action probably over a centimeter.

Quote from a friend a few months later who was trying to teach me a few chords "I would have given up ages ago if this was my guitar"

AcousticAl

Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:21 am

I don't remember the first acoustic guitar make that I started with.. It got lost or thrown out when I lost interest in my teens.
**edit- Just came to me.. I think it was a Regent acoustic.

My first one a few years ago when I started playing again was a Yamaha F-310 acoustic.
Good sounding, reasonably priced solid top guitar. I highly recommend it to anyone starting out.

Chasplaya

Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:11 pm

I was 17 and at Dundee College of Commerce starting my Certificate in Business studies; everyday I walked past a small second hand shop that had this awesome white guitar in the window... I had to have it, so I spent my hard earned student allowance and got it. It was a Vox Teardrop very similar to the one in this photo of Brian Jones
Unfortunately it had a severely warped neck and I had no clues then about how to repair it or even if it could be repaired so I on sold it to a fellow student who didn't care. With 20-20 hindsight I wish I'd kept it.

michelew

Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:07 pm

I think I was 14. It was a Rivera. Never heard of it? Whoever made them, I think they may have only been called that in Australia. I have no idea of the model or any spec.s but i think it was a reasonable entry level guitar. It's in the link below.

I went to night school and learned in a group for a little while; Little Brown Jug, she'll be coming 'Round the Mountant, Yellow Submarine. I think I learned C, G, D7, G7 Em, ... and how to strum with a pick, incorrectly and how to tune relatively. I remember being good at flicking the pick into the sound hole. :)

Some point shortly after I learned the clarinet and .... Blah, blah, blah besides some Christmas songs didn't really play much. When I left home I carried it around for a while, but working full time, travelling for three hours to get to uni and back, studying between 25-32 hours a week and coming out didn't leave much time to apply myself.

What happened to it? Well ... Someone I was in Love/lust with asked me very sweetly if they could buy it off me for a steal. Being hormone affected I reluctantly agreed. I regretted it as soon as I left my house. :). Idiot!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/allcommun ... otoid=2590

Craig

Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:47 pm

My first guitar was a gift from a girlfriend in college in 1983. She came from a musical family and wanted me to have a nice guitar to learn on. It was a nylon string Ibanez with a pick up in it. I still have it. In fact, it's the guitar I'm holding in my TG avatar. I don't play it much anymore but I'm not sure why, it's very nice and easy to play. Maybe if I post another video someday I'll break it out!

Craig

cosmicmechanic

Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:36 am

It was still hippy-dippy time hereabouts in the middle seventies.

At the time, my best friends were a couple who happened to be at their "leave it all behind" stage
(I was actually only recently back from mine).

To understand that mindset today, I think of the tune "The Way" by the band Fastball.

"... Where were they going without ever knowing the way?
Anyone can see the road that they walked on is paved in gold
And it's always summer, it never gets cold
And they'll never get hungry, and never get old and grey
And they.."

Anyway, a friend and I took possession of their apartment and worldlies for an agreed price.
They sewed the money into the seams of their clothes and headed out into the great wide open.

In my new stash was a Yamaha classical guitar. It became my only guitar for, like, 20 years.

One of my daughters has it now. It's still being played frequently.

Pierre

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic