How I Wish I Had Learned How To Play Guitar

Hydroman52

Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:21 pm

Hey everyone,

I didn’t know if anyone would actually read this post. It was just some late night thoughts. Anyway, thanks for the additional comments.

Daryl – feeling the music can be a very tough lesson to learn. It sounds like one of those lifelong things to me. On a side note, I would be curious how someone would approach the teaching of something like that (Turn out all the lights, turn up the music, close your eyes, tap your foot, jump up and down, drink lots of alcohol . . . . . . . ?)

Tony – we never seem to be satisfied with the place that we are at. How many times do we think “If only I could play like this or that, I would be happy.” Then, when we achieve that goal, we hear something else and think “If only I could play like this or that, I would be happy.” It’s a vicious circle, my friend!

MJ – Wow! I’m very happy and excited for you. Starting a band is a lot of fun. Learning new stuff from each other will help you all out. One thing that I might suggest that seems to work for Bassman Jerry and me is to “practice alone, rehearse together” as much as possible. Usually, Jerry and I talk over the phone a day or two before our rehearsal night. We discuss what we want to accomplish and this allows us each to focus on practicing our individual parts. We are able to avoid wasting valuable time together trying to organize. Jerry originally suggested this from tapping his experience playing professionally in bands. Sometimes, rehearsals don’t always go as planned, but at least we have a plan.

Michele – true, the more instruments that you can play, the more valuable and in demand you will be. Same holds true with singing (lead vocals and harmonies).

Willem – I hear you on the running out of time issue. I’m discovering that, as I get older, I’m getting slower and forgetting things. That may be another thing to add. Learn to play less notes with more effect. It’s probably a good thing that this is only happening to me and no one else.

Hey Dermot – thanks for reading my senseless drivel.

Chris – agreed 100%!

Suzi – a “What the heck” moment. They are truly liberating. Good one!

Michele – another good one. When I was a teenager and first learning, I had reel-to-reel tape decks and microphones of moderate quality. I think that there may be recordings from the late 60s or early 70s somewhere on this planet of some very bad playing on my part. It would probably be best to let archaeologists in the very distant future unearth them.

Thanks for all your suggestions,

Hydroman52

dekotaj

Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:59 am

Music Junkie wrote:
Great list Hydro. I would completely agree with the one about getting out and playing with others. That is something that I have yet to do, and I can tell that it has held me back. I am hoping to change that soon, as I have met another beginner through the flag football league my sons play in. We exchanged numbers and are going to try and get together this weekend to hang out and play. He is just learning, so I am less embarrassed about my lack of skills. We are both hoping to expand our playing and have some fun. Also, one of the other dads from the team recently picked his music back up (he is a drummer) and wanted us to come hang out and jam a bit. Maybe it could turn into a regular get together. Who knows. I am eagerly looking forward to it.

I also wish I knew more about alternate tunings.... B)

I get the theory about the scales and modes, I just don't grasp it well enough to put any of it to use... I just need to dive in a bit more and get to it. Another thing that I have heard gets better while playing with others.

J
Hey MJ.Sounds like you'll have a blast.
Flag football.Its been 15 years or so,seeing a game.My boys or 25 & 22.You still have a lot of miles to go my friend.On to tackle then High School football.What a great time setting in the stands at a high school games munching on hot dogs and pop corn with Lisa watching the boy play.I sure miss it! If you have a little video of one of your games.Put up a little clip.Would love to watch a little.

Kev

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic