Guitar Pro Files - Is the .gp5 or .gpx file best for Guitar Pro 6?

michelew

Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:54 pm

Can anyone tell me which of the guitar pro file types for the TG lessons are the best to use for Guitar Pro 6; the .gp5 or the .gpx file? Is there any real difference?

I've downloaded the Banana Pancakes files (SUCH a cool song! B) ). The xgp is currently playing fine, whereas the gp5 isn't, but I assume that's because I'm in the process of downloading updates. I presume they'll both work when the updates are finished.

Is one file type better than the other?

Thanks in advance. :)

M

wiley

Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:11 pm

michelew

Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:22 pm

Thanks Wiley.

After downloading the updates, the .gp5 file still has no sound. So! I guess it's .gpx all the way for me at least. It may still be a case of having to download some additional sound files,...but,... since the .gpx file is working fine I don't see the point.

Learn by doing. B)

Thanks y'all.

M

tombo1230

Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:29 pm

michelew wrote:
Thanks Wiley.

After downloading the updates, the .gp5 file still has no sound. So! I guess it's .gpx all the way for me at least. It may still be a case of having to download some additional sound files,...but,... since the .gpx file is working fine I don't see the point.

Learn by doing. B)

Thanks y'all.

M
Hi Michelle, I had a look at both files and the GPX file is set as a nylon string guitar and the GP5 file is set as an acoustic piano, so the files are different. If you happen not to have that particular acoustic piano setting as a choice, which I'm guessing is a mistake when the file was made, then chances are you would get no sound on it. Click on the little instrument sign (a guitar) on the left hand side of the screen and change the instrument to guitar and save, or alternatively go to edit column and select 'insert a change of soundbanks and save as a guitar, or just use the file that is working :)

When updating did you have an option to save or update sound banks? I bought a few some time ago so maybe you don't have the piano as an option. Just guessing???
Also both seem to use the R.S.E. Realistic Sound Engine. So other than having different instruments loaded in this case, I'm not sure what the difference in the file X or 5 is, maybe someone can tell us.

Hope this is useful in some way, :)

Tom N.

michelew

Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:49 pm

Hey Tom, Thanks for that. changing the instrument has made is all sweet. Hmmm... I guess I really should learn more about this program. Interestingly though, when I save the file with the guitar instead of piano it becomes an .gpx file and won't accept a .gp5 replacement extension. So I'm guessing that the .gpx is the native here and the .gp5 is the visitor.

I have accepted all of the uploads, but I think sometime ago I abandoned the piano track updates because they were big and I wasn't using them at that time.

Thanks for the help. Mystery solved.

M.

tombo1230

Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:27 am

michelew wrote:
Interestingly though, when I save the file with the guitar instead of piano it becomes an .gpx file and won't accept a .gp5 replacement extension. So I'm guessing that the .gpx is the native here and the .gp5 is the visitor.

M.
I see what you mean Michelle. The only save or save as option is a GPX file. To get a GP5 file you have to 'export as a GP5 file,' So you are right a GPX file is the native / latest file type and GP5 is for version 5 software that can't use the GP6 or X file type, I guess.

Tom N.

Chasplaya

Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:11 pm

HI Michelle, Without going and looking at the files you mention , essentially GPX are built specifically for GP6 ; however, GP5 files can be played but without some of the new functionallity that GP6 offers. GP6 can play any older version but as is the case with most programmes it doesn't work the other way

Go here to see the additions to GP6 from the older GP5 version. Mostly its aesthetics and ease of use, but GP6 can play more RSE sound banks and has a wider range of instruments.

file:///C:/Program%20Files%20%28x86%29/Guitar%20Pro%206/Data/Help/en/index.html

GO to GP home and check out the history and development that helps explain quite a few things. I've had GP since its BETA days and it has come a long way

Music Junkie

Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:55 pm

Yep, what Chas said.... ;)

Guitar Pro 6 saves to a .gpx file by default. Guitar Pro 5 saves to a .gp5 (not sure why 6 did not go to .gp6....). Anyway, Guitar Pro 6 will open all of the older files, but not the other way around. However, in Guitar Pro 6, you can save as an older file type. Not sure why you would want to do that, except if you are saving for someone with an older version. B)

Jason

michelew

Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:54 pm

Chas, Jason,

Thanks for the confirmation and the extra information guy. I appreciate it.

M

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic