thumb pick too large?

jayswett

Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:14 pm

For those of you who are comfortable with thumb picks, I have what I think is a fairly simple question. Is this thumb pick too large, too small, or just right? I have found that getting accustomed to using a thumb pick is challenging. Perhaps size is part of the problem?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/306 ... mbpick.JPG

I couldn't seem to attach the image, so try the link above.

willem

Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:52 pm

I think it could play..I cut one down and it was to short,,still searching for the right one..

Willem

daryl

Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:07 pm

Hi Jay,

When you say too large or too small are you referring to how snug or loosely it fits on your thumb or how far the picking surface extends out from your thumb? The thumb pick I currently use (a white Dunlop medium) hurts my thumb and makes the tip of my thumb turn slightly purple. I have a brown National Medium thumb pick that doesn't hurt as much but I sanded the picking part to make the picking surface closer to my thumb (thinking I would have better control). My other problem is that when I use a thumb pick the notes I pick with the thumb are much louder than the notes I pick with my other fingers and I can't seem to lighten up on my thumb picking while keeping my other picking fingers at their normal intensity. :(

Music Junkie

Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:37 pm

I have only tried a thumb pick a few times, and have had no success. I have not taken to the time to order left handed versions yet. I have tried some of the standard ones, but the slope is backwards, and it cuts into my thumb too much. Very uncomfortable. I sanded the edge down on a couple and it helped a little, but it just felt so wrong. I noticed the same thing as Daryl mentioned about the notes coming out MUCH more pronounced with the pick (which is what I would expect). I have also tried some of the fingerpicks, but they feel very awkward. I cannot get them into a solid enough spot. They keep moving around and popping off. I have tried all sizes, with the same results. They should work fine for me, as there is no right/left issue with the fingers. I find that just using my thumb and fingers seems to work best.

Jason

neverfoundthetime

Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:26 pm

I always heard that size doesn't matter...... but this one looks about right Jay ;-)

haoli25

Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:29 pm

Jay, I have been using the Fred Kelly Speed Thumb Picks for several years and they are the best I have found.

https://artisanguitars.com/fred-kelly-s ... ck-delrin/

You can find them cheap on eBay and other sources. They even come in "wrong-handed" for Jason. :) :)

I use a hairdryer to heat them up and fit them to my thumb and then use a small file to get the pick part to the right size for me.

Bill

daryl

Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:50 pm

haoli25 wrote:
Jay, I have been using the Fred Kelly Speed Thumb Picks for several years and they are the best I have found.

https://artisanguitars.com/fred-kelly-s ... ck-delrin/

You can find them cheap on eBay and other sources. They even come in "wrong-handed" for Jason. :) :)

I use a hairdryer to heat them up and fit them to my thumb and then use a small file to get the pick part to the right size for me.

Bill
Do you prefer light, medium, or heavy? And why?

Music Junkie

Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:52 pm

haoli25 wrote:
They even come in "wrong-handed" for Jason. :) :)

Bill
Bill:

Thank you so much. I had stumbled upon these a while back and could not remember the name. I have heard very good things about these picks. Especially that they are readily available in the bass ackward variety.... B)

BigBear

Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:35 pm

Jay- thumb picks are a pain in the butt. I hate them because they always sound too loud.

That being said I have found a thumb pick I really like. It's called a Zookie by Dunlop. The cool thing is you can buy them with different degrees of twist to fit your attack on the strings.

Here's the link:

http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/zookies-thumbpicks

Good luck buddy!

Cheers! :cheer:

jayswett

Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:39 pm

daryl wrote:
Hi Jay,

When you say too large or too small are you referring to how snug or loosely it fits on your thumb or how far the picking surface extends out from your thumb? The thumb pick I currently use (a white Dunlop medium) hurts my thumb and makes the tip of my thumb turn slightly purple. I have a brown National Medium thumb pick that doesn't hurt as much but I sanded the picking part to make the picking surface closer to my thumb (thinking I would have better control). My other problem is that when I use a thumb pick the notes I pick with the thumb are much louder than the notes I pick with my other fingers and I can't seem to lighten up on my thumb picking while keeping my other picking fingers at their normal intensity. :(
Thanks for the replies. I was referring to the distance that the picking portion extends away from the thumb. Filing it down makes some sense.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic