Do you stop to listen?

suziko

Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:11 pm

On our main pedestrian-street in Madison, right in the center of the city, you find buskers on many corners during clement weather. I sometimes stop but I won't try to pretend that I always do. I'm downtown quite often and usually have someplace I need to get to, or I'm walking with someone, or some other reason. I do enjoy buskers and I do sometimes stop and listen and give them some money, but no, I don't stop all the time. If I did- I would be late all the time because there are just so many downtown!

Suzi

lueders

Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:25 pm

Hi Michele,

I guess you decided to take a break from: songwriting, generally collaborating, uke playin, bass playin',fingerstyle pickin', video editing (I think?)... and golly, who knows what other adventures...to put up a little survey.

Well, I wish I could say I always did/do stop, listen, and throw in my two bits. But alas I do not. I really should too. There' actually something of a music scene in Chambana...believe it or not. (Home of Dan Fogelberg, Reo Speedwagon, and Allison Krauss.) In the summer months there is music downtown ALL the time. It's kinda like Suzi mentioned with Madtown.

SPEAKING OF MADISON, it is good to hear a few Cheese-heads get out and about every now and then...what with them being so BOUND UP from all that intake of cheese. Perhaps,
all that dark beer acts as a laxative and counteracts the constipation. lol B) :) :)

Music Junkie

Wed May 01, 2013 8:39 am

Living in Southern California lends itself to busking, I guess... There are always folks playing on the streets in downtown Ventura and Santa Barbara. At times there can be quite a few, so I kind of tune them out (most are not very good - that is horrible coming from me - they probably play better than I do). From time to time, though, there is someone who really stands out. When I hear that, I always stop and listen for a bit and will drop in a dollar or two... I have come across a few that are very good players and singers. One in particular is a homeless man that can really fingerpick and sing some haunting ballads. Makes me sad that he is living and playing on the streets rather than to a crowd in a nice auditorium. There is talent everywhere... ;)

Jason

michelew

Wed May 01, 2013 5:51 pm

WOW! I really wasn't expecting so many of you to say you generally stop. Well I guess it just goes to show that you're a special group of people. There's nothing average about you.

And I need to stop being in such a hurry and to take the time to smell the roses more and enjoy the sweet strains of bliss that sway my way or groove or rock or whatever the flavour, whatever the energy.

Thanks for sharing. I do love to hear all of your experiences.

M.

dekotaj

Fri May 03, 2013 10:01 am

Hey Sis.

Wish I could join your poll,But I come from a small town.We don't have street buskers here.But I would think if we did I would stop and give a listen if it sound good,And toss in a few coins.I guess we all should stop and smell the roses along the way.But life don't have a rewind button to go back and change the things we wish we should have done when we could have done them.Just the fact that you wonder about these things,Make me think you are the person I always thought you to be.So JUST enjoy them when you find the time.It's all we can do.

Kev

michelew

Fri May 03, 2013 7:51 pm

Gosh...I'm STILL the only 'rarely' in the survey. But, I can honestly report that I've started to change my ways. Yesterday I was racing around town looking for a few warmer clothes during my lunch break on another crazy busy work day. I came across a young guy playing the violin like ... crazy fast, passionate, AMAZINGLY. Well, there and then I stopped and listened for a couple of numbers. I REALLY enjoyed it, it blew me away. I dropped a couple of bucks in his case said thanks and was on my speedie way again. I was smiling, he was smiling and the world was suddenly a sweeter place.

Good for the soul. :)

You can teach and old dog new tricks. :)

M

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic