Work It Out Challenge #1: Driving Towards The Daylight

Music Junkie

Tue May 21, 2013 5:59 pm

wrench wrote:
I feel guilty playing this, although I figured out the run before you posted it.
Why feel guilty? Play on dude! I'll make sure to P.M. you next time I am trying to figure something out.... ;) :P

Jason

michelew

Tue May 21, 2013 10:07 pm

Music Junkie wrote:
Well, for anyone who is interested, here is what I have come up with (much thanks to Neil and Vanessa for their guidance... B) )

It may not be perfect, but when I play along with the recordings, is does the trick...

Driving Towards the Daylight by Joe Bonamassa
4/4 time
Key of G
Capo I

Intro:
Esus4 E5 / / G5 / / / Dsus2 / / / Csus2 / / /

Verse I:

Chorus I:
D5 E5 / / G5 / / / Dsus2 / / / Csus2 / / /

Verse II:

Chorus II:

Solo/Bridge:
Em(run) / E5 / Em(run) / Cmaj7 / Em(run) / Dsus2add13 / A/E / G6/D A/E
Em(run) / E5 / Em(run) / Cmaj7 / Em(run) / D sus2add13 / A/E / / / A/E / / /

Verse III:

Chorus III:

Outro:

Here are the chords and the run:

What a FANTASTIC job you've done mapping this out and providing all of this detail Jason. The bridge and run is especially good to have tabbed. This is a great learning resource. Thank you.

I initially thought the G5 was a Cadd9/G because it looked like 332033 on the first video and I was really just playing the 6th and 1st-3rd strings so it sounded the same. But, Ness gave me a nudge in the right direction and pointed me at the second video and sure enough it's a G5. I also had the naming wrong for the Csus2 - I was calling it G5/C or Gsus4/C because it felt like we were just changing the bass note in the G5 chord (cheating :) ) It's a little easier to remember that way too.

Are you playing this now? how does it feel and sound?

Music Junkie

Tue May 21, 2013 10:38 pm

Michele:

Thanks for the kind words. Vanessa really did the hard part, by identifying the chords. I just put the measures and chords into form... I wish I was better at identifying chords. Video helps, but I hope to someday get there just by listening and HEARING them. The run was pretty easy, but still fun. The naming of the chords can be tricky. Just because a chord has certain notes, the lowest note may not be the tonic. It makes it easy for some of us to confuse them. My old guitar teacher told me it also depended on how the chord was being used. I get the concept, but I am lost on progressions, and how certain chords are used to set up other chords. I think understanding that would also be a big leap in understanding how to break a song down...

I try and play this two to three times a night along with a few other songs I am learning. I can get the chorus and bridge parts in a passable manner, but the intro/verse trips me up. The G5 - Dsus2add6 - Csus2 is easy, but the Esus4 - E5 gets me. The hammer on itself is easy enough, but getting the Esus4 down solid is proving tedious... :S I'll get it eventually... The vocals are a long way off...ugh...

Overall, like I have mentioned before, it is a really basic set of chords (found in countless other songs), dressed up a bit to a nice driving beat. Fun to play.

Cori's thread on what songs each of us would like got salivating for the next one. I am off to figure out P.F. Sloan.... :)

J

dekotaj

Wed May 22, 2013 10:56 am

Wrench

It is called a CMC arthoplasty. Lost all the cartiledge in the joint at the base of my thumb. Had to basically have the joint rebuilt. Interesting method they used (I won't bother you with the gorey details). Anyhow - so far so good with a ways to go yet. Played the guitar without a splint for the first time last night. Can't play long or fast and I am limited as to my chords (just like before the surgery :laugh: ) but hope to get back to normal soon.

Music Junkie

Wed May 22, 2013 11:41 am

mshrad wrote:
Wrench

It is called a CMC arthoplasty. Lost all the cartiledge in the joint at the base of my thumb. Had to basically have the joint rebuilt. Interesting method they used (I won't bother you with the gorey details). Anyhow - so far so good with a ways to go yet. Played the guitar without a splint for the first time last night. Can't play long or fast and I am limited as to my chords (just like before the surgery :laugh: ) but hope to get back to normal soon.
Ouch, sorry to hear about the thumb... Glad to hear you are back at it again though... :) Hopefully you will be 100% soon.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic