Work It Out Challenge #1: Driving Towards The Daylight

willem

Sun May 19, 2013 2:05 pm

What A awesome job,,,now he can play it (the recommender)..

Willem

Music Junkie

Sun May 19, 2013 5:07 pm

nesh16041972 wrote:
You got it Jason, the last chord is an A (Fmaj7-shape, except he plays it with his pinky, since it was already there when playing the D5-chordshape. Personally I'd never play both chords with my pinky, but hey.....who....blah blah! :P And yes, he does slide back to a G (avoid the topstring and bottomstring though) and back to A. (Definitely no E in the bass.)

The Esus4 and E5 are not borrowed chords, again, they function as an Em, especially E5 and Esus4 resolves to that (hence the hammeron). Leaving out the third of a chord doesn't change the function of it.

The D5-chordshape with the open strings gives it a sus2, sus4 and 6 (doesn't mean he hits them all). There is no third, so for that, it's a sus2 and not an add9.

And yes, you got the riff-thing in the bridge figured out as well! :cheer:

Well done my friend! The coffee was great! :P

Edit: One last thing, when he lands on E5 (the chordshape that is), along with the open strings, it's an Em.
Cool, thanks young lady!

I HAVE to start spending more time figuring things out. I can't HEAR chords.... You pick any old chord and play it, I might be able to tell you if it is minor or major, but I can't tell you what chord it is or pick up things like maj7, sus2, sus4, etc.... A lot of times I just have to start at C Major and then play all sorts of chords til I find Something that sounds right... :( Very long and cumbersome.... Once I am able to find the I Chord, and determine the key, it opens all sorts of doors.... Borrowed chords can trip me up sometimes as well...

It is stuff like this thread that helps out tremendously. I also know that I won't improve, unless I do this more often... ;)

J

Music Junkie

Mon May 20, 2013 8:04 pm

Well, for anyone who is interested, here is what I have come up with (much thanks to Neil and Vanessa for their guidance... B) )

It may not be perfect, but when I play along with the recordings, is does the trick...

Driving Towards the Daylight by Joe Bonamassa
4/4 time
Key of G
Capo I

Intro:
Esus4 E5 / / G5 / / / Dsus2 / / / Csus2 / / /

Verse I:

Chorus I:
D5 E5 / / G5 / / / Dsus2 / / / Csus2 / / /

Verse II:

Chorus II:

Solo/Bridge:
Em(run) / E5 / Em(run) / Cmaj7 / Em(run) / Dsus2add13 / A/E / G6/D A/E
Em(run) / E5 / Em(run) / Cmaj7 / Em(run) / D sus2add13 / A/E / / / A/E / / /

Verse III:

Chorus III:

Outro:

Here are the chords and the run:

lueders

Tue May 21, 2013 10:53 am

Wow! Fantastic job by everyone. I recommended the song and really appreciate what everyone did. My apologies for contributing nothing except for the song suggestion but I'm recovering from left hand surgery and my fretting hand is pretty limited. I'll definitely use this effort as motivation to work on the song and use playing as rehab and get my strength and flexibility back. I hope all the contributors got something out of it too.

Thanks again!

Music Junkie

Tue May 21, 2013 11:19 am

mshrad wrote:
Wow! Fantastic job by everyone. I recommended the song and really appreciate what everyone did. My apologies for contributing nothing except for the song suggestion but I'm recovering from left hand surgery and my fretting hand is pretty limited. I'll definitely use this effort as motivation to work on the song and use playing as rehab and get my strength and flexibility back. I hope all the contributors got something out of it too.

Thanks again!
To be honest, I would love to see more threads like this one. For those of us who struggle with transcribing, it is a wonderful exercise. I still have a long way to go, but I feel a bit more confident with each attempt.... :)

Jason

willem

Tue May 21, 2013 12:25 pm

Music Junkie wrote:
mshrad wrote:

Thanks again!
To be honest, I would love to see more threads like this one. For those of us who struggle with transcribing, it is a wonderful exercise. I still have a long way to go, but I feel a bit more confident with each attempt.... :)

Jason
I have so much respect fot those who can do this,,my private guitar teacher(in the early days I started learning guitar) you could bring him a song(just audio) and he listen and while listening he found some bas notes and in no time he had the progression and rhytm down,,I only dream to do that some day and maybe its ease'r 'cos we can also see a bit whats goin on(with you tube I mean)...

below a vid of a song I would try some day..

Music Junkie

Tue May 21, 2013 12:56 pm

Willem:

Have you spent any time on Neil's lesson for "Tears in Heaven"? I know I haven't... :)

willem

Tue May 21, 2013 1:03 pm

Music Junkie wrote:
Willem:

Have you spent any time on Neil's lesson for "Tears in Heaven"? I know I haven't... :)

Yes,,lately I am,,but its a lesson only for accompaniment the singin.(which is nice too),in real live its a two guitar part but can find that all over the net..

The Vid above thats something else aint it??

Willem

Music Junkie

Tue May 21, 2013 1:19 pm

willem wrote:
Music Junkie wrote:
Willem:

Yes,,lately I am,,but its a lesson only for accompaniment the singin.(which is nice too),in real live its a two guitar part but can find that all over the net..

The Vid above thats something else aint it??

Willem
O.K., I had never really checked out that lesson, so I was unfamiliar with it. Just knew it was on the list....lol

Yeah, that young lady plays very nicely.... Far superior to anything I can muster... :P

wrench

Tue May 21, 2013 5:41 pm

mshrad wrote:

Thanks again!
What kind of surgery mshrad?

And Jason / Vanessa, great job. I feel guilty playing this, although I figured out the run before you posted it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic