Work It Out Challenge #1: Driving Towards The Daylight

TGNeil

Fri May 10, 2013 2:37 pm

Hi Gang,
In light of some of the recent developments on the Forum I thought we might try a little challenge to see where we are as a group with regard to ear training and general sleuthing skills. Driving Towards The Daylight is a Joe Bonamassa song that is a pretty straightforward strumming tune. Let's see if we can team up and solve the mystery. There are more than enough clues in these videos to decipher most of what is going on. Let's have folks chip in with whatever bits and pieces they might have. If you already know the song or have most of it, it might be better to leave the answers to those who it is a challenge to and not just give it away. Let's see if we can chip away at it one or two clues at a time. This could be fun or bomb out but might become an ongoing project with other songs as well.

Neil

Hint #1... never mind, I'll save the hints for later, if necessary.

suziko

Fri May 10, 2013 2:51 pm

This is a great idea, Neil!! I wish it didn't come up on Friday, just because I am always so busy on the weekend and won't have time to participate. But I'll enjoy seeing what everyone else suggests- and if it's not all parsed out by Monday, I'll try jumping in too.

Suzi

ffsooo3

Fri May 10, 2013 3:08 pm

Ah great idea indeed! :)

Hmmm.....one hint....a hammer on in the first chord, from A to B, third string. Alrigh, I'll ssssshh! :P

willem

Fri May 10, 2013 3:47 pm

nesh16041972 wrote:

Hmmm.....one hint....a hammer on in the first chord, from A to B, third string. Alrigh, I'll ssssshh! :P

And the first chord is a Bm.(oh not really because of the capo,,it sounds like Cm),,

EDIT: the first chord could(I think its better) be a Bsus4...he is adding his pinky on the E second string..

here is a better side and is also the one the recommender has put up..

I think he ends on a Cadd9,then my thought would be that the song is in C ?

TGNeil

Fri May 10, 2013 4:52 pm

willem wrote:
nesh16041972 wrote:

And the first chord is a Bm.(oh not really because of the capo,,it sounds like Cm),,
Just because you see a barre at the second fret doesn't mean there is a Bm involved.

Neil

willem

Fri May 10, 2013 4:56 pm

TGNeil wrote:
willem wrote:
nesh16041972 wrote:

Just because you see a barre at the second fret doesn't mean there is a Bm involved.

Neil
I edit my first post maybe its closer,,I can't make noise now ''cos its late..

Edit: Yes I think he is not playing the B bas,,he makes a lesser chord on the 4 top strings.. maybe its a sort of E ?

Music Junkie

Fri May 10, 2013 5:32 pm

I am not very good with my ear, so I am not certain of anything....lol

Best I can tell, it seems to be in the key of G (relative to the capo). That chord you are seeing, Willem, could be a C/G. The C chord played in the B-shape at the 3rd fret (again, relative to the capo), but using the G in the bass.... Beyond that, I would need to watch and listen a LOT MORE!!!!! :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

My ear is very weak and it is something I need to break down and truly work on. I won't be much help on this challenge, but I am very interested to see the outcome... B) B)

Jason

daryl

Fri May 10, 2013 7:01 pm

It looks like (maybe) he's playing:

Em(with an A on top): 022455 (where he hammers the 3rd string from the 2nd fret to the 4th fret: 022255 to 022455)
G: 3x0033
D(with an E on top): xx0230
C(with a D on the 2nd string): x3x033 (or maybe it's x32033)

RicksPick

Fri May 10, 2013 7:38 pm

I think I herd a wangy wang

RicksPick

TGNesh

Fri May 10, 2013 8:06 pm

Hah!

Thanks Neal for turning my unfortunate post into a positive. You mean I should work this out myself!?... I'm much too lazy for that! :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic