Work It Out Challenge #1: Driving Towards The Daylight

Music Junkie

Thu May 16, 2013 1:30 pm

Scott:

When I get home from work, I will post what I have so far. If it does cause a stir, I can always delete it... :unsure: .lol

It has been fun learning this song. I still can't make a smooth enough transition from the Csus2 back to the Esus4/E5 hammer... That will come with time, I am sure.

Watch yourself with the playing too, don't overdo it and set yourself back! We will need you healthy in a few months... ;)

J

Music Junkie

Thu May 16, 2013 1:49 pm

Here is what I have so far:

The Esus4 might be called an Esus4 (no 5th)????? Not sure. Also, on the D in the chorus, it is not really a D chord, as it only has 2 D's in it.....lol some sort of octave notes. Can't really call it a power chord, since it does not have a 5th either...Ahhhh!!!!!! See Vanessa's chords, they sound right when I play along with the song..

Intro:
Esus4 E5 / / G5 / / / Dsus2 / / / Csus2 / / /

Verse I:

Chorus I:
D5 E5 / / G5 / / / Dsus2 / / / Csus2 / / /

Verse II:

Chorus II:

Solo/Bridge:
? / / / ? / / / ? / / / ? / / /
? / / / ? / / / ? / / / ? / / / ? / / /

Verse III:

Chorus III:

Outro:

Try not to laugh too hard if this is completely wrong..... ;)

J

Music Junkie

Thu May 16, 2013 1:52 pm

:laugh: :laugh: Well I ám laughing, because you think you got it completely wrong, it's quite the opposite, you got it mapped out pretty well J. good work!! :cheer:

Edit: But yes, that first chord is an Esus4, since there is no third in there. but the B in the bass, 5th string, 2nd fret is the fifth.

Music Junkie

Thu May 16, 2013 1:58 pm

The D in the chorus, it ís a D-powerchord (D5), I mean the shape that he's playing. Not sure what he does with the open strings, I don't think he's really hitting them, I wouldn't when I play this. ;)

Music Junkie

Thu May 16, 2013 2:14 pm

nesh16041972 wrote:
:laugh: :laugh: Well I ám laughing, because you think you got it completely wrong, it's quite the opposite, you got it mapped out pretty well J. good work!! :cheer:

Edit: But yes, that first chord is an Esus4, since there is no third in there. but the B in the bass, 5th string, 2nd fret is the fifth.
Ness: Yep, I brain farted on the B on the 5th string.... Esus4 it is then..... ;)

Music Junkie

Thu May 16, 2013 2:16 pm

nesh16041972 wrote:
The D in the chorus, it ís a D-powerchord (D5), I mean the shape that he's playing. Not sure what he does with the open strings, I don't think he's really hitting them, I wouldn't when I play this. ;)
Yeah, I could not quite tell if he was playing the 5th, or if it was muted a bit. It happens so fast on the slid up.... :)

Thanks for the support!

J

Music Junkie

Sat May 18, 2013 4:21 pm

I had posted this in the weekly wrap up since Neil touched on it there. I may be better served in this thread, so all the info remains here...

[quote]Neil:

Thanks for touching on the "Driving Towards the Daylight" Thread. Maybe this is a bonehead question (everyone already knows I am full of them.. ).....

With chords of Esus4, E5, G5, Csus2, D5 and the others that are soon to come in the solo part...., what key/mode would you consider this to be? Seeing G, D and C, my first thought would be the Key of G. However, I know that Em is the relative minor, so it could be that.... But you have an Esus4 and E5, which are not really minor....

This is a bit confusing to me. I ask mostly, because I am trying to figure out the most likely culprits for the chords in the solo. I think if I could nail the key down a bit better, it may make that search more fruitful...

Thanks again!

Jason
[quote]

michelew

Sun May 19, 2013 3:32 am

It's in the key of G Jason, leaving out the third in a chord doesn't change the 'function' of it.

So when you for example would sing a melody over it, you won't use the G# (the third in Emajor), but the G instead. Or if a piano would play along and would wanna play the full chord, it'd be minor. Same for D5, it of course functions as Dmajor, as does Dsus2.

Still there are always exceptions, 'if it sounds good, then it's good!'! ;)

In the instrumental there is only one chord (the last in the progression which steps out of the key, changing which supposed to be a minor to a majorchord.)

Alright, more info, after the first run he lands on E5, still he does play the open strings too, so the open G-string makes it an Em afterall, after the second one he lands on C5 (open strings make it an Cmaj7), after the third run he lands on D5, but lets the open strings ring too (so there is also a 4, 6 and 2 in there, no third, not sure how to call that one). Then.......I'll let you figure out the last chord! :P (it's major, not minor)

I need more coffee! :P

Music Junkie wrote:
I had posted this in the weekly wrap up since Neil touched on it there. I may be better served in this thread, so all the info remains here...

Neil:

Thanks for touching on the "Driving Towards the Daylight" Thread. Maybe this is a bonehead question (everyone already knows I am full of them.. ).....

With chords of Esus4, E5, G5, Csus2, D5 and the others that are soon to come in the solo part...., what key/mode would you consider this to be? Seeing G, D and C, my first thought would be the Key of G. However, I know that Em is the relative minor, so it could be that.... But you have an Esus4 and E5, which are not really minor....

This is a bit confusing to me. I ask mostly, because I am trying to figure out the most likely culprits for the chords in the solo. I think if I could nail the key down a bit better, it may make that search more fruitful...

Thanks again!

Jason

Music Junkie

Sun May 19, 2013 11:09 am

Thanks Ness. I was leaning towards the Key of G, as I mentioned, but having the Esus4 and E5 in there, made me wonder. Just borrowed chords I guess.

In the solo part, I would guess that the last chord in both lines is an A???? :unsure: :unsure: I looks similar to the Fmaj7 shape, up at the 5th fret, with gives an A chord. It looks like he is possibly playing that with an E in the bass as well, but I am not positive....

On the run, I am hearing something along the lines of:

E (open 6th string), G (3rd fret of 6th string), A hammer to B (open 5th string hammer to 2nd fret), E (second fret of 4th string)..... He does this and goes to the E5, then does it again and goes to the Cmaj7, then a third time and land on the D5 (Dsus4add9 maybe..). after that chord, he hits what I am thinking is the A/E chord.... The second time through is the same, but the A/E chord gets held for an extra measure and then goes back to the verse (I have seen some clips of him hitting a G6 after the first A/E and sliding up to the A/E).... I will try to listen to the rhythm a bit more this afternoon. He seems to be changing some of the chords on the "and" of 2...

When I get that rhythm part worked up, I will try to reload the chart I made and see if it is usable for anyone.

This song is quite simple to play, if one can get the Esus4 hammer to E5 part in the verse down comfortably.... That will take some time for me... :P

Thanks again Ness!

I am drinking a big ol' cup of coffee right now for you.... ;)

baffled

Sun May 19, 2013 12:44 pm

You got it Jason, the last chord is an A (Fmaj7-shape, except he plays it with his pinky, since it was already there when playing the D5-chordshape. Personally I'd never play both chords with my pinky, but hey.....who....blah blah! :P And yes, he does slide back to a G (avoid the topstring and bottomstring though) and back to A. (Definitely no E in the bass.)

The Esus4 and E5 are not borrowed chords, again, they function as an Em, especially E5 and Esus4 resolves to that (hence the hammeron). Leaving out the third of a chord doesn't change the function of it.

The D5-chordshape with the open strings gives it a sus2, sus4 and 6 (doesn't mean he hits them all). There is no third, so for that, it's a sus2 and not an add9.

And yes, you got the riff-thing in the bridge figured out as well! :cheer:

Well done my friend! The coffee was great! :P

Edit: One last thing, when he lands on E5 (the chordshape that is), along with the open strings, it's an Em.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic