But I neeeeed it because... True confessions of GAS-aholics

wiley

Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:10 pm

I got to play a Lowden E35 w/Fan Frets a couple years back after the IGC. At $6,000+/- a bit too expensive yet I loved the feel. As for the armrest, I've had a after market type of 'stick-on' armrest for a while and honestly love the thing. No, it's not one the Gibson or Tacoma - its on a Seagull and I also bought and used an entry level for a niece, she loves the feel of it, just makes it more comfortable.

I've dabbled in some of the physics of acoustic guitars, nowhere near as much as Dan (Wrench) and one of the bigger things seems to be the interior of the guitar and how much 'capacity' it has, IOW - the more inside 'space' the more volume, sustain, etc... ergo, the interest in the "Demi" cutaway, it's a hybrid of sorts, makes it comfortable to get to the higher frets like a normal cutaway and yet takes less away form the interior space. It's kind of like a 'scoop'.

As for finding this particular brand, just surfing. There are several 'companies' like this out there, this one seems to have it's act together more so than some others. Problem, of course, in this type of guitar is the cost factor, as before, Lowden makes a very fine guitar, no doubt, and the fan fret (or Multi-Scale) is a unique thing on the Lowden's is in the way they build theirs. Yet........

Fan Fret is not a 'new' thing, been around a long time. Yet, most likely due to several factors (cost of making them, etc.) they went away.

Are these things a 'fad' or 'bling-bling' or whatever and make no 'real' difference? Don't know, not sure anyone else can say for sure, probably, maybe, it's, as always' "In the ear of the listener".

And I do like the abnormal..........

michelew

Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:34 pm

All about capacity you say. Maybe you neeeeeeed to get yourself a cello or better still a double bass. Dang! How much fun would that be?!? Oh another stringed instrument for me to lust after and learn the basics of but never become proficient at. Perfect!!! :)

dekotaj

Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:24 pm

michelew

Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:42 am

Kev,

That was really interesting. I understand fan fert guitars much better now.

Thanks!

M

wiley

Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:02 pm

Pulled the trigger -

The one in the picture is Mahogany, mine will be Rosewood back and sides.

Chrome Black Gotoh Tuners
Pierced Headstock
Rosewood
Electronics - normal = B-Band T55 – substituted for B-Band A2.2
** The thumbwheels for tone/volume will be in the larger soundhole at the bottom, no external thing cut into the sides.

Fan Fret/Multi-Scale

Demi Cutaway
Arm Bevel

Since the wood choice is Rosewood, the 'cutaway' and the 'arm bevel' will be a darker red color.

Build and ship time, estimate 10>14 weeks.

And I couldn't resist the $58.00us 'hard shell' case - really, just another insurance policy.

Hopefully it will be here in time for IGC.

Dan (Wrench) - bring your tools, we got something to play with!

michelew

Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:01 pm

Congratulations Wiley! How exciting for you.

Please show it off on the forum too when you get it. I'd love to hear what it sounds like. Maybe you could do a first-hand report on how easy it is to adjust to fan fret guitars for the everyday guitar player. I'd love to know how the tones compare to your other guitars too. Is there a noticeable difference. And basically, what's it like to play all round.

Enjoy!

Michele

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic