But I neeeeed it because... True confessions of GAS-aholics

michelew

Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:49 am

Music Junkie wrote:
The G.A.S. bug hit again, and I tried REALLY, REALLY hard to snuff it out..........not....... So, here is what became of my attempt to resist......

My Taylor 556e. All Mahogany back and sides, with Engelmann Spruce top and a sunburst finish. Ebony Bridge and fingerboard, bone nut and saddle..... I got to sit and play it for about two hours last night til the pinched nerve I have been fighting off got the best of me. I am really glad I opted for the Mahogany, as the warm mids are what I was hoping for, rather than the chimey highs. My first reaction is that this is a great strumming/rhythm guitar, which is what I enjoy the most. Needless to say, sleeping in the dog house last night was less than comfortable and did nothing for the pinched nerve..... :P However, I think I might be allowed back in the house tonight..... B)

Jason
WOW! Congratulations!

She's absolutely beautiful. Now you KNOW the law around here. When anyone gets a new instrument, you have to play it for us. It's the LAW! Resistance is futile. The more unusual and the more beautiful, the more urgent said show and sound.

Here's you perfect video opportunity, even if you just give us a I, IV, V progression noodle.

Oh my hand is crapping just looking at it.

BEAUTIFUL! You're a lucky man.

Shel

Music Junkie

Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:42 am

Thanks Shel.

You are quite right in all that you say. I am hoping to get a few lines down to video this week, if I can sneak them in while the kids are outside playing hide-and-seek..... ;) I have been toying with "The World I Know" by Collective Soul. IT is played with a 12-string, and it is a fairly simple tune with some easy chord shapes. I'll see what I can do... :)

Jason

Hydroman52

Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:17 am

michelew wrote:
Hydroman52 wrote:
Be careful. Added equipment means added maintenance. Added maintenance means more time taking care of stuff and less time (and energy as one gets older) to actually do the thing(s) you set out to do........ At some point, there is a balance that is true bliss. We tend to overshoot that spot.

Hydroman52
Good advice Hydro.

I'm already falling into that trap. When I'm working on a project, a fair chunk of my time goes into videoing and fiddling in garageband and iMovie. Does it make me a better player? Hell no!.. But... if I wasn't preparing videos I may not be exploring the other paths to music fun (like making up tracks, including percussion tracks that hit the cutting room floor). Actually, for me it turns out that I do enjoy the technical stuff and the maintenance and learning more about instruments and related paraphernalia in general. SO while I love music (listening, playing and learning) i generally enjoy learning new stuff in general. That can take me off on tangents that have nothing to do with becoming a musician, but it keeps me out of trouble. B)

But you're absolutely right. The extra equipment can take you away from the main game.

Hey Hyrdo, you would mind asking Bassman Jerry whether he has any recommendations for a value for money electric bass (make and model) that's likely to suit someone with my extremely limited experience for a while? And no, I don't know who's style I'd like to emulate, it's a big wide world of possibilities at the moment. If Jerry has advice he'd like to offer, it would be great to know the 'why' as well. Thanks.

Hey Michele,

Finally got to ask Bassman Jerry your Question at pre-rehearsal dinner, tonight. I was a little shocked at his response. He owns a mighty fine Fender American Jazz Bass that he acquired used on Craig's List and also owned a high quality Music Man Bass at one time. He really likes his Jazz Bass, but when I asked him your question, he said that he had played the Fender Squire Jazz Bass and said there was not much difference (except the price). Wow, I thought he was going to recommend saving your pennies (do you have pennies in Australia?) to get an American Jazz or P Bass, but I was wrong. I'm guessing that you have the Squire line in your neck of the woods, so you can go somewhere to actually check them out. They are all over the place around here. You can pick them up new for under $300 shipped to your house from many big box stores. If you decide to go this route, you may want to budget some money for set-up. From many comments that I have seen, the action may need some tweaking. Of course, you can go to Amazon.com and any other music chain to read reviews and see what others are thinking and experiencing. I'm seeing that many others have the same opinion as Jerry. Hope that helps.

Hydroman52

michelew

Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:14 am

Thanks so much Hydro. We do that the Squire range here. That is a real surprise, I wasn't expecting Jerry to say The Squire range.

I have a confession to make...I got myself a new bass already after asking a few people for advice and reading a fair bit. When it came down to it, I really didn't know whether to go for a Precision bass or a Jazz bass. I was leaning towards the a standard Fender Jazz bass when I received advice that the Jazz bass could use more low end. So I ended up getting one with a combo of pickups, which had also been recommended.

Fender Deluxe Active P-Bass Special

Alder body with and a maple Jazz Bass neck (modern C shape). Alnico split single-coil Precision Bass pickup (middle) and a dual-coil ceramic Noiseless Jazz Bass pickup with nickel-plated pole pieces (bridge) with pan pot switching. Controls are master volume, pan and three-band active EQ. Other features include chrome hardware, American Vintage Precision Bass bridge, side-mounted jack and deluxe gig bag.

http://www.fender.com/en-AU/series/delu ... -pickguard

It's probably overkill for my needs, well undoubtedly, :) :), but I got it for a pretty reasonable price since I'm a loyal customer where I purchased it and it's end of financial year. It included setup and four three monthly services. Yeh!

So now we're making friends. It's surprised me how different it feels to play than my acoustic bass, which is still in the shop. Actually, I haven't played it as much as I'd like since I got it, for a bunch of personal reasons. But it is fun. :)

I absolutely will record something as soon as I've got something I'm working on down well enough, especially since I laid down the law for Jason only yesterday. :)

Thanks for asking Jerry for his advice and thank him from me.

Shel

Music Junkie

Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:24 am

michelew wrote:
It's probably overkill for my needs, well undoubtedly, :) :)

Ha, if I used that philosophy, I wouldn't own a single guitar......
I absolutely will record something as soon as I've got something I'm working on down well enough, especially since I laid down the law for Jason only yesterday. :)
I ran through my transcriptions last night and found a few songs that I can run through some progressions on for the 12-string. The boys were watching a movie last night so it was rather noisy til about 10pm, and then it was my bedtime... I will see how tonight shapes up.. ;)

Congrats on the new Bass. I am excited at the prospect of seeing it in action. I have toyed with buying one in the past, but my better judgement won out on that front. My better judgement got it's butt kicked when it came to the 12 string... :silly:

We are just so weak Shel.... We must learn to be stronger.... B)

Jason

dekotaj

Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:14 pm

Hey Jeson

What a great looking guitar. Can't wait to see you playing it.

Here check out some of Roger McGuinn 12 string playing

Good lick with it Jason.

Kev

Music Junkie

Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:48 pm

Kevin:

Thanks for posting those. Roger is someone I had heard of off and on, but never really knew too much about (until being exposed to him more here at TG). I have really come to enjoy his work. He really gets around on the 12 string, and makes that puppy sing... B)

J

michelew

Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:32 pm

BUMP!

A chat that Marc and I were having in another thread about Taylor nylon guitars (well my response was more like a novel actually) reminded me of this thread. I thought it was worth resurrecting to see whether people have satisfied their guitar lust from the last time I asked (two years ago).

At the time I started this thread I was wanting an electric bass. Luckily I'd come into a small inheritance at that time, so you'll see (if you reread the thread or the last few pages) that I got myself a very nice Fender bass. I'm not playing it as much as I'd like to (time poor), but I really enjoy it when I do.

At the same time, I also dreamed about getting a nylon hybrid guitar, for example a Taylor model. I'm still looking for the right guitar at the right price.

So I was wondering:

- Have you satisfied your guitar lust since this thread? If so how?
- Has your dream guitar changed? If so, why?
- Are you shopping for something specific at the moment? If so what and why? Maybe it's another type of instrument.

How's your GAS?!?
:) :) :)

Curious!

Shel

wiley

Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:42 am

Honestly, my $$ have gone more towards recording and live sound stuff as of late, yet...

http://www.dreamguitars.com/products/av ... s/full.jpg

Hmmmmm.......

In the ' checkout basket'

All solid woods? - check

Reliable luthier - build? - check (seems to be)

Ryan Arm Bevel? - check

Multi Scale (aka Fan Fret)? - check

Sound Port? - kinda sorta

Demi Cut Away (scoop instead of 'normal')? - check

*No electronics installed - will install After Market

Available in either Rosewood, Mahogony, or Maple sides and back - that's where I'm sorta hung. I own a Maple and a Koa back/sides and a bunch of others. Yet never a Mahogony or Rosewood - Rosewood is an addon of $100us

michelew

Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:34 pm

Well sound is what it's all about of course.

WOW! That's one interesting looking guitar Wiley. I've never seen that sort of cut away before either.

So how long have you lusted after that beauty? Have you played it?

I remember you talking about fan frets before. What else brought you to this guitar in particular?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic