But I neeeeed it because... True confessions of GAS-aholics

michelew

Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:04 am

I have GAS again... No not the type that MJ's camp cabin mates will need to be afraid of, Guitar Acquisition Syndrome.

So before I tell you my pathetic excuses for considering a new instrument, I want to hear all of yours.

What are your best and lamest excuses for buying a new instrument? Or do you just not bother trying to justify it anymore. :)

I know I'm not the only guitar-oholic on the site. Spin me a yarn, confess the real story, give us your excuses (pitiful and otherwise).

Why did you buy it? What was the official reason and what was the real reason?

Or if you're just thinking about one, tell us about that.

Bring it on. Maybe you'll snap me out of it or ... Maybe you'll make me feel better about my lusting. :) :) :)

M

daryl

Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:22 am

I don't have GAS. I have my Ovation and Martin acoustics, my solid-body electric, and my violin bass. Exactly what every guitarist should have - a guitar for every purpose. Whatever it is you're thinking about buying.....just do it......if you're thinking about it, you obviously need it! Go for it!

michelew

Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:28 am

daryl wrote:
I don't have GAS. I have my Ovation and Martin acoustics, my solid-body electric, and my violin bass. Exactly what every guitarist should have - a guitar for every purpose. Whatever it is you're thinking about buying.....just do it......if you're thinking about it, you obviously need it! Go for it!
Pusher! :) :p :)

Yes, Daryl that is s nice combo, ... but you don't have a single ukulele. What's wrong with that picture? :) :) :)

You're a sweetie. Of course I need new strings. I've only got 2 ukes (who doesn't need a six string uke), a classical, a steel string, an electric and an acoustic bass. I love playing them all. And there are still so many gorgeous options ... :) :) :)

I already joke that my room looks like a music store. :)

M

willem

Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:33 am

My only GAS is getting songs down,,I have 4 guitars and thats enough (happy with it),,noooooooooooooow IIIIIIIIIIIII waaaaaaaaaaaaant tooooooooo
plaaaaaaaaaaay!! them..

Willem

OH I do infest in backing tracks...

auntlynnie

Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:00 am

For about 25 years I had a sinlge guitar, then I got the Guitar acquisition bug.
Here are my excuses:
Mid-life crisis (Fender Stratocaster & amp)
I knew my husband wouldn't remember our anniversary (Breedlove 12-string)
Need a guitar tuned to open G (Gurian S3M)
I travel a lot (Traveler)
A new symptom.....buying guitars for others:
My husband's hearing is declining (Takamine classical cutaway with onboard pickup)
And now the disease is in its final stage:
Just because I felt like it (my Taylor)

Lynn

michelew

Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:14 am

willem wrote:
My only GAS is getting songs down,,I have 4 guitars and thats enough (happy with it),,noooooooooooooow IIIIIIIIIIIII waaaaaaaaaaaaant tooooooooo
plaaaaaaaaaaay!! them..

Willem

OH I do infest in backing tracks...

What you mean they're not just for looking cool and decorating a room nicely? .... I knew I was missing something. B) I like your thinking Willem. :)

michelew

Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:22 am

auntlynnie wrote:
For about 25 years I had a sinlge guitar, then I got the Guitar acquisition bug.
Here are my excuses:
Mid-life crisis (Fender Stratocaster & amp)
I knew my husband wouldn't remember our anniversary (Breedlove 12-string)
Need a guitar tuned to open G (Gurian S3M)
I travel a lot (Traveler)
A new symptom.....buying guitars for others:
My husband's hearing is declining (Takamine classical cutaway with onboard pickup)
And now the disease is in its final stage:
Just because I felt like it (my Taylor)

Lynn
Nice list! When you say "buying guitars for others" do you mean as presents for them or because it will help them if you have a new guitar. I'm assuming it's the latter. I LIKE it!

I've been buying guitars for others for a while. Sue tells me that I think it will make everyone happy if they have a guitar, or uke. Well OF COURSE! I know there's something in that statement that I'm missing. :)

I think I used the Traveller excuse to get my first uke. :) ; to myself as much as anyone. We fly across to the other side of the country semi-regularly. But the real reason was that I just wanted one. They are fun.

Thanks for sharing Lynn.

Shel

auntlynnie

Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:16 am

Buying guitars for others was a special situation, because guitars are such personal decision.
But this was the same make as the one my husband already had, but the cut-away and pick-up were upgrades that were essential for him.
It was used - about 10 years old.
But the best reason is that I knew it would kick start his playing....and I love it when he plays with me.

Hmmmmm.... I never thought of a Uke.....

Great idea - I'll tuck that away until I get the next GAS urge.

Thanks, Shel.

sbutler

Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:54 am

Shel, I have a recessive GAS trate. Its not always apparent, and just sneaks up on me at funny times. However, going to the IGC this fall with the founder of Santa Cruz guitars, I have a feeling my GAS, it will be worse than two helping of broccoli with bowl of Navy beans. :unsure: :ohmy: :huh: :blink:

Scott

Music Junkie

Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:23 am

michelew wrote:
I have GAS again... No not the type that MJ's camp cabin mates will need to be afraid of, Guitar Acquisition Syndrome.

M
Shel..... :( :( :( I am so hurt....... :( :( :(

O.K., not really...... Truth is, my cabin mates should be very afraid..... :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

I currently have:
Taylor 814ce
Martin 000-15
Baby Taylor
Martin Backpacker
Fender Strat
Epiphone Les Paul STD.
Tom Anderson Hollow Cobra S
Simmons SDK7 Drum Kit (for my youngest son who is taking lessons)

I currently want:
Electric Bass
Mandolin
Baritone Guitar
12 String Guitar

Now as far as GAS goes, one item on the above list will be arriving in about 3 to 4 weeks.....bwahahahaha...... :P :P

As far as trying to justify any of it, I am at a complete loss...... If I could play worth a crap, maybe it would be easier.... Shel, you are playing and signing beautifully these days, so you should not have to try too hard to justify anything. For me, I just beg, and do LOTS and LOTS of honey-dos without complaining. I build decks, planko boards for school carnivals, book cases, tables, etc. whenever the boss asks for them. I get a bonus once in a while, and that usually involves relieving my backed up GAS..... :silly: :silly:

Jason

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic