But I neeeeed it because... True confessions of GAS-aholics

haoli25

Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:09 pm

Chasplaya wrote:
.... I would like a Strat SRV style.......

Chas, Jim Hamilton is still making them. Give him a call. I think they are about $4500 U.S, or about the cost of one good Taylor or TWO Cole Clark guitars. :laugh: :laugh:

Bill

dennisg

Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:13 pm

I guess there's always a little part of me that's curious about what guitars are available, so I check various Taylor dealers' web sites around the country, CraigsList listings, and eBay auctions. A few days ago, I happened to go to eBay, and I decided to key in "Taylor Grand Concert," mostly because I'm in love with that body size, and I just wanted to see what people were selling, having no intention of buying anything. I noticed that there was a Taylor GC7 in near-perfect condition being auctioned, and the auction was ending 12 hours later. The top bid at that time was $915. I thought that was an extremely low price, but you know how these things go; people often get hysterical in the last 30 seconds, and the price gets driven up to ridiculous heights. Just for the heck of it, I decided to follow the auction all day, and with about 20 seconds left, I put in a maximum bid of $1100 -- and won. This price is less than half of what the guitar would sell for new. I received the guitar last night, oiled the fret board, put new strings on it, and played it. Absolutely gorgeous. You win some and you lose some.

daryl

Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:45 pm

Nice one Dennis! Green over here in Vermont.

AcousticAl

Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:58 pm

dennisg wrote:
I guess there's always a little part of me that's curious about what guitars are available, so I check various Taylor dealers' web sites around the country, CraigsList listings, and eBay auctions. A few days ago, I happened to go to eBay, and I decided to key in "Taylor Grand Concert," mostly because I'm in love with that body size, and I just wanted to see what people were selling, having no intention of buying anything. I noticed that there was a Taylor GC7 in near-perfect condition being auctioned, and the auction was ending 12 hours later. The top bid at that time was $915. I thought that was an extremely low price, but you know how these things go; people often get hysterical in the last 30 seconds, and the price gets driven up to ridiculous heights. Just for the heck of it, I decided to follow the auction all day, and with about 20 seconds left, I put in a maximum bid of $1100 -- and won. This price is less than half of what the guitar would sell for new. I received the guitar last night, oiled the fret board, put new strings on it, and played it. Absolutely gorgeous. You win some and you lose some.

Love it when good things happen to good peeps.
Way to go Dennis!

I'm satisfying my GAS with relatively inexpensive apps right now.
Just bought the Fender Amplitube app with the iRig stomp box. Lots of fun!
Might have to do a video on it if I get around to it..

Music Junkie

Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:13 pm

dennisg wrote:
Nice... B)

You never know what you are going to find on eBay... A month or so ago Al pointed out a nice Taylor lefty 12 string. It went for a decent price, but it was not quite what I was looking for. Seems you won one Dennis.... ;) Hope to see/hear it in action sometime soon.... :)

J

michelew

Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:50 am

dennisg wrote:

Nice! Can we see it...and will we hear it soon?

M (envious)

wiley

Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:57 pm

Guitar wise? Pretty much set, for now. I do want to get the Gibby and Tac to be able to 'plug up', maybe. I am going to wait and prod Doug Young at the IGC about this though.

I am thinking of changing the Tacoma's Tuners, it has a set of nice, built for Tacoma, Gotohs, work good. But those Gotoh 510's with 21:1 ratio - well, I could use a better set of tuners on the Seagull.

Gear - that's been where my mind has been lately.

Gear cost can make the price of a new Taylor look, well, cheap. Try a high-end AI (Audio Interface) or a set of Nuemann stereo (matched pair) mics. Studio monitors? How much ya got there Charlie?? and to what extreme do I need to go, after all, it's never going to be anything more than a play thing, a one or two person home recording studio thing.

Hell, a nice Acoustic amp, like a Sedona, will run ya a couple grand. Or a Matchless. Or, even a one man PA- like the Bose or Fishman, $1,000us (new - street without extras)

Music Junkie

Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:44 pm

The G.A.S. bug hit again, and I tried REALLY, REALLY hard to snuff it out..........not....... So, here is what became of my attempt to resist......

My Taylor 556e. All Mahogany back and sides, with Engelmann Spruce top and a sunburst finish. Ebony Bridge and fingerboard, bone nut and saddle..... I got to sit and play it for about two hours last night til the pinched nerve I have been fighting off got the best of me. I am really glad I opted for the Mahogany, as the warm mids are what I was hoping for, rather than the chimey highs. My first reaction is that this is a great strumming/rhythm guitar, which is what I enjoy the most. Needless to say, sleeping in the dog house last night was less than comfortable and did nothing for the pinched nerve..... :P However, I think I might be allowed back in the house tonight..... B)

Jason

dennisg

Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:11 pm

Jason,

That is one freaking gorgeous guitar. Congratulations on acquiring a real beauty.

haoli25

Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:16 pm

What a beauty, Jason!!!!!! A NEW guitar and NEW calluses too......life doesn't get much better than that. :laugh: :laugh: :silly: Glad you will be back INSIDE tonight, that pretty Taylor 12-string is gonna need a LOT of attention from you....and your wife might need some attention too. B) :) Have you decided what expensive gift you will be buying for your wife? Think TIFFANY.......

Congratulations on your new addition.

Bill Image

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic