How do you NOT get overwhelmed?

willem

Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:50 am

I sure get a bit crazy on which songs,,well we have a little musicgroup and come ones a month together(more a cosy night) Most of the lady's only sing,,and we bring in some songs,,if the song is a target lesson then I am lucky and practice that,,if not then I am on my own(also an learning thing),,
I don't even remember which song I have down,,always have to look in my binder and then Oh YEAH!!! ,Grey cells..

Sometimes I study'd very hard on a song for bringin it in for the cosy nights and then they don't like it,,GRRRRRRRRRRR!!!! :(

I agree with Chris a bout ''follow your heart'',,

Willem

PS I've seen every lesson here!!! well the most I've seen ones!!!

fjeanmur

Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:16 am

How do you choose a lesson? (I'm usually in the 4-5-6 difficulty range)
Do you work on one or several at a time?
Do you work through all the lesson parts, or sometimes just get the gist of a song?
Do you keep a practice log?

What a good set of questions! I'm also interested in what others might answer.

I'm like you, Lynn. I select from the 4-5-6 range--4 usually being fairly easy with a challenging element, 5 being comfortable, and 6 slowing me up, but with work I can get it moving.(I've been with TG for ten months now.)

Exactly what happens depends on the song. There are songs that I work on (Dust in the Wind, Moonshadow) that I've gotten about as good as they're going to get for now. There are a couple of little things that I can keep trying and trying and I know that the muscle development just isn't there yet. My strategy? Go on to something else (perhaps more challenging) and the next difficult piece will help the easier one fall into place.

If a song is difficult, I do work on it perhaps a measure at a time. Alice's Restaurant is an example of this. This is one I've been working on for about four months now, but I have no plans to quit because I keep seeing improvement. (Maybe this is the one I will get the nerve up to post. LOL!) It's become more like a practice exercise and maybe by Thanksgiving . . .

I don't keep a practice log, but I do have a binder organized with active things, "repertoire", and things I would like to get to. Everything in plastic sleeves which makes it easy to move around.

Ten months ago I couldn't remember the names of the open chords after so many years. Now I've moved well beyond. My skills are still uneven, but this Internet stuff can work.

Thanks for letting me share. Keeps us posted for how things are working out!

Jean

thereshopeyet

Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:24 am

Lynne

Over whelmed....and you make it look easy too......

I have a habit of watching lesson upon lesson.
The grass is always greener in another lesson also my hands can only do so much !

:laugh: :laugh: Click Image To Enlarge

I go through all of the above stages.
Accomplishment ..... well I need a few extra lifetimes for that one !!

auntlynnie

Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:04 am

Wow, thanks everyone, for your responses.
It is interesting to hear all the different ways that people go about their practice.
So many good ideas - I think the message I take away is "have fun AND keep myself challenged".
Suzi's timer idea, especially for working on a difficult technique, is something I'm going to do right away.
And I'm relieved to hear from thereshopeyet that I am not the only one who gets stuck watching lesson after lesson when I really should be practicing.

I suppose I'm just a bit anxious with the guitar camp to look forward to, and I need to realize that I am not going to fundamentally change my level of playing in the relatively short time I have until September.

All of your responses have been very helpful to me, and I'm sure to others, as well.
Cheers,
Lynn

tombo1230

Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:36 am

auntlynnie wrote:
Wow, thanks everyone, for your responses.
It is interesting to hear all the different ways that people go about their practice.
So many good ideas - I think the message I take away is "have fun AND keep myself challenged".
Suzi's timer idea, especially for working on a difficult technique, is something I'm going to do right away.
And I'm relieved to hear from thereshopeyet that I am not the only one who gets stuck watching lesson after lesson when I really should be practicing.

I suppose I'm just a bit anxious with the guitar camp to look forward to, and I need to realize that I am not going to fundamentally change my level of playing in the relatively short time I have until September.

All of your responses have been very helpful to me, and I'm sure to others, as well.
Cheers,
Lynn
Sorry I'm late to this one. The timer idea is one I also use, especially if I want to get through a lot of things.
Having a timer for any drills or scales makes you focus more intensely while doing them. Songs and solos I just work through them measure by measure and try to keep the rhythm as correct as I can and yes, we are all susceptible to feeling overwhelmed at times, you wouldn't be human otherwise. :)

Watching lessons imho can improve your playing I suspect, especially if there is a new technique in there to be learned. I learned a lot in here while I was injured last year and couldn't play for several months. My progress still improved, but I know what you mean, less distractions more practice! :)

Tom N.

tombo1230

Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:54 am

Those are indeed great questions Lynn!

1 I choose songs that I like and want to be able to play. Or I get into a song when one of my students asks for that specific one.
2 So yes, I often work on several songs (either for myself or for someone else, but even for myself, usually a couple so I can switch.)
3 I often work out the song myself (tab, chart), and sometimes I go through a section which gives me troubles, or just out of curiosity to see if I'm close to what Neil teaches. And yes, I sometimes choose to finger a chord differently and sometimes I adjust to what he teaches.
4 No practice log.

When I réally want to get a song down, I pass my guitar like dozens and dozens of times a day and pick it up as well, I play for five minutes and then do something else. (My luck is that I work at home), however I do believe that playing like for example 5 times a day for maybe 10/15 minutes work better than one time a day for an hour or more.

My two cents..... :)

dekotaj

Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:34 am

Thanks,
Lynn[/quote]

#1 How do you choose a lesson? (I'm usually in the 4-5-6 difficulty range)

Find a song that you just love,and start there.

#2 Do you work on one or several at a time?

One at a time?? Well until you get the fell for the song.Learn the intro the verse the chores(bridge) and outro.

#3 Do you work through all the lesson parts, or sometimes just get the gist of a song?

I work on one at a time.Then once I have all the parts down good. I move on to the next one and start the process all over again.Then worry about putting it together against the record. Then the only worry is getting in and out of all the parts clean.

#4 Do you keep a practice log?

No. I start out playing a song that I have down good.Then just play the intro a verse a chores a bridge( if there is one ) and then the outro.Its just warm up so no need to play it all. Then work on the one that I have all the part down, and focus on the section that I have trouble with as I'm playing. Then I work out the parts of the new song I'm working on.

Kev

unclewalt

Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:49 pm

Pick two or three songs you want to work on. Ignore everything else while you work on those, even if you come to think you should have chosen different ones. All the others will still be there when you're ready for them.

plantman

Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:26 pm

Great question, I read it yesterday, and have been thinking of a good answer. I came to the conclusion that we all approach this in our individual way(s). I personally spend a lot of time on my computer as for my job responsibilities and that almost prevented me from joining as I view the computer as "work" When I log on to TG, it isn't "work" but I tend to read some of the posts, tend not to participate so much, and try to get into lessons as my time in limited. Originally, I had list of songs I wanted to learn right away and remember well that feeling of being "overwhelmed". I went through Neils beginners lessons to learn his basic approach and un-learn some bad habits. The fun really started when I realized that I actually was developing a few songs I could play. I also got involved playing out with a few friends who let me hid in the shadows and play rhythm and occasionally help out vocally. That directed me to check out Neils lessons on the blues, since we were playing a fair amount of that style. The prospect of going to camp is kind of a wake up call for me too, time to break out of my current rut and expand my horizons. Just started the fingerpicking lesson 101, and tackling songs like 'Someone Like You' (thanks Ness). I never did any fingerpicking before and I've spent a week (5 or 10 minutes a day) just trying to get the intro down. It is still tough for me to transition from the G to Bm, but its slowly getting better - but I love the sound and cant wait to add on the next line. Also, just started the first lesson on reading music and I am looking forward to learning and maybe some day I'll understand half of what Neil so easily rattles off during the lessons. I find I can learn, but it takes repetition and then I repeat the process :)
Chan

sbutler

Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:59 am

I have a set of cards at my desk as reminders. One is labeled "work on technique " The next is" refresh old stuff" , the next is "theory" and the 4th onee is "learn new songs".

There are several songs on each card that have examples of what I want out of each category. I dont beat myself with a stick if I fail to meet some goal, so its not too rigid but gives me a direction when I start to forget my way.

And Lynn, dont forget, you are alredy good enough to go to the IGC. I for one am going so I can come back a better player. I'm certain there are no expectations of our skills when we get there..

Scott

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic