Who guides your learning? - Poll attached

plantman

Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:13 pm

After starting with TG, going through the basics a few things stand out for me as critical in my develpment. One is timing - I was terrible at understanding this concept. I'm now a work in process, but improving. Second big idea was finding the anchor finger not to pick up when changing chords. It was a big deal when I realized (learned from Neil) common positions that I didn't need to change or understanding which one to lay down first. The lessons have been a great guide for me and helped me develop skills, but also having friends to get together with has been a great help as well.
Chan

daryl

Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:54 pm

Aimlessly wondering. :-(

Music Junkie

Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:17 pm

michelew wrote:
My goals are another thing...they change almost weekly.
YEP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It all depends on my mood any given day and any song I have recently heard that catches my attention. Some new, some old.

michelew

Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:05 pm

These are ALL great responses.

Yes I really could have come up with better options. But, this thread has got us all talking about how we work out our own needs (or don't :) ) and that's the point really.

So as a single option, advice from Neil and Ness is winning the day; besides being chosen most in the poll, most people have mentioned it in their combo discussion. It's amazing how well the TG setup works at helping all of us to progress even though Neil and Ness don't know what we each need at any given time. I guess there's a general path to follow if you want to move from beginner to intermediate to... Well most of us probably won't make it to advanced.

TG does offer many paths, the choice is all ours.

So Neil and Ness a big THANK YOU!!. Regardless of my meanderings, I couldn't have made the progress I've made since joining without the advice I've received from both of you.

Ok off to play, improve and have fun. :)

fjeanmur

Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:48 pm

Thanks. I've been thinking about this one.

fjeanmur

Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:52 pm

Thanks Suzi,

These I wouldn't have thought of. They're something to print out and put into my "For later" section.

Jean

michelew

Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:51 pm

suziko wrote:
fjeanmur wrote:
I know that everyone has individual needs and interests and it is wonderful that this site has so much--something for everyone. It's easy to get lost. I wonder if Neil and/or Vanessa could put together a list of "essential beginner songs" and then do the same for intermediate and advanced level pieces. I know that there are songs Neil recommends for everyone, from CCR to "Stairway to Heaven" but the CCR ones won't hold my attention for very long, and well the "Why Georgia" might not be within my reach yet. Maybe this could give us something to follow. I won't be looking for an individual teacher and I don't have friends that play guitar, so TG is it for me. I feel that everything here has something to offer, but I wouldn't mind having a guide that I could use--or not use--depending on what is going on at the moment.

But in the meantime, if anyone has any suggestions as to what would be a great challenge as a follow-up to Alice's Restaurant, I'm going to have some time on my hands this summer. Anyone?
Alice's Restaurant is such a great tune and there are a lot of great techniques in there worth learning. In addition to Landslide, I'd recommend checking out:

The Ivory Salamander (Busted Down Around O'Connelly Corner)- The Doobie Bros
Kathy's Song (Eva Cassidy Version)
Scarborough Fair (Simon and Garfunkel version)
Windy and Warm (when you're ready for a stretch!! I'm still working on this one)

I tend to gravitate towards fingerpicking tunes, so those are all ones I've worked on in the past (and even posted a few of them).

Suzi
Jean,

I also gravitate towards fingerpicking songs. Others I've enjoyed learning have been:

'Here Comes the Sun" - Beatles or George Harrison (maybe) GREAT song!
"Time in a Bottle" - Jim Croce - some stretches and the importance of finger order
"Diamonds and Rust" - Joan Baez
"Annie's Song" - John Denver
"Dear Prudence" - Beatles
"Hey There Delilah" - Plain White Ts - this is a fun one
"Never Going Back" - Fleetwood Mac - the pinky barre-ing is a killer - I need to go back and see whether I can do that now. :)
"Is There Anybody Out There" - Pink Floyd - great technique in here
"River Man" - Nick Drake (more block chords than arpeggiated or broken in any real way but a very great song - the 5/8 time signature is very cool).
"Just Breathe" - Pearl Jam
"More then Words" - Extreme - Cool with a capital C.
"Somebody Like You" - Adele.

Well...really there are SO many great fingerpicking songs in the library. I was only going to put up a couple, but as I was going through by music I kept thinking "OH that's a great one too!"

I haven't tried Alice's Restaurant. It sounds pretty tricky. So these may be too straightforward for you. But there should be one or two in the list above which you can learn from. The ones I found trickiest are 'More than Words"...well actually one or two sections of most of them, like the pinky barre in Never Going Back and some parts of Here Comes the Sun.

Have fun. And I'm really looking forward to your first video upload. Don't leave it too long.

Chasplaya

Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:44 pm

It ain't much I'm asking, if you want the truth
Here's to the future for the dreams of youth

I want it all (give it all - I want it all)
I want it all (yeah)
I want it all and I want it now

I want it all (yes I want it all)
I want it all hey
I want it all and I want it now

I'm a man with a one track mind
So much to do in one lifetime (people do you hear me)
Not a man for compromise and where's and why's and living lies
So I'm living it all, yes I'm living it all
And I'm giving it all, and I'm giving it all
Oooh oh yeah yeah - ha ha ha ha ha
Yeah yeah yeah yeaaah
I want it all

It ain't much I'm asking, if you want the truth
Here's to the future
Hear the cry of youth (hear the cry of youth) (hear the cry of youth)
I want it all, I want it all, I want it all and I want it now

I want it all yeah yeah yeaaaah
I want it all, I want it all and I want it now
Oh oh oh oh oooh

And I want it - now
I want it, I want it
Ooooh ha

This song kinda says it all...

michelew

Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:54 pm

So Chas....basically what you're sayin' is you've got a mischievous little elf sitting on your shoulder too. Join the club.

I missed the 'mischievous elf running interference' option. Dang!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic