Who guides your learning? - Poll attached

willem

Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:27 am

I listen to Neil and Ness over and over but!!!.......... I have many musical friends that help too,,one of them plays the guitar very well and thats a inspiration for me..the biggest break through was ''keep that hand moving'',,I am someone who wants to understand everything whats going in a song and so I buy from every song standard sheet music and study also the melody..I think that comes 'cos I'm in a choir..there's one more thing that happens very early in trying the guitar and that was when we(my friend and me) toke some private lessons together and I had much trouble with a chord(a finger would not work) and ask my friend how IT WOULD WORK,He said the only one who could learn it is your self(I think he mend,,keep trying),,but lately I discovered there can be a guide that gives you a good way how to do it and that was in song with 9th chords and it really helped,,Also from Ness I did get ones a great tip on how to hold your fretting hand parralel to the fret board and makes the stretches possible,,well i think ''the more you know,the more you get better in everything''

''I try and try and try and try,,(practice)

Willem

PS I am not lost,,well I am lost in which songs,,I do need inspiration..

auntlynnie

Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:42 am

I also answered "other".
For 30 years I have been wandering aimlessly, much of that time just playing me same old repertoire. Since joining TG a year ago, I've added many country blues pieces, and had three "in person" lessons with Neil. He has helped me to recognize problem areas in my playing and that has certainly helped me improve.
But still, I suppose I am wandering a bit aimlessly as to what I am choosing to learn, and maybe that is the source of my question on the "Overwhelmed" thread. I've thought about getting a teacher here at home, to maybe help steer my choices. Unlike Suzi, I tend to avoid the techniques that are difficult for me.
Lynnie

dekotaj

Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:43 am

I really wouldn't know for which one to vote....

I was taught by my father when I was a child/teenager, later I guided myself, using online-sources. Then thankfully I bumped into Neil and TG and have been learning from him ever since, although there is still 'guiding myself'-involved.

Something like that...... :)

dekotaj

Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:04 am

This one has got me thinking!!!

I wish it was #1.But I don't have the luck of living near Neil to take lesson. Or Nessa.Put if I did and they would have me as a student, That is the one I would like to chose. How lucky Sandy,Kevin and the rest or that can have that option.To set down with a pro once a week and learn the song you love. What could be better.

So for me I think all the other 8 choices are what I'm stuck with.So sorry sis can't just pick one from the list.The one I would LOVE to pick I can't.So I just use every other option I have to learn my songs.

But when I find a pro like Neil some were close to get lesson from.Thats were I'll be every week.

Kev

willem

Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:32 am

dekotaj wrote:
This one has got me thinking!!!

I wish it was #1.But I don't have the luck of living near Neil to take lesson. Or Nessa.Put if I did and they would have me as a student, That is the one I would like to chose. How lucky Sandy,Kevin and the rest or that can have that option.To set down with a pro once a week and learn the song you love. What could be better.

So for me I think all the other 8 choices are what I'm stuck with.So sorry sis can't just pick one from the list.The one I would LOVE to pick I can't.So I just use every other option I have to learn my songs.

But when I find a pro like Neil some were close to get lesson from.Thats were I'll be every week.

Kev

YeS kevin,,how many miles would you drive for ones a week session??? I suggest A ''fly on the wall'' and she said ''anytime bro'' !!!

Willem

fjeanmur

Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:02 pm

I know that everyone has individual needs and interests and it is wonderful that this site has so much--something for everyone. It's easy to get lost. I wonder if Neil and/or Vanessa could put together a list of "essential beginner songs" and then do the same for intermediate and advanced level pieces. I know that there are songs Neil recommends for everyone, from CCR to "Stairway to Heaven" but the CCR ones won't hold my attention for very long, and well the "Why Georgia" might not be within my reach yet. Maybe this could give us something to follow. I won't be looking for an individual teacher and I don't have friends that play guitar, so TG is it for me. I feel that everything here has something to offer, but I wouldn't mind having a guide that I could use--or not use--depending on what is going on at the moment.

But in the meantime, if anyone has any suggestions as to what would be a great challenge as a follow-up to Alice's Restaurant, I'm going to have some time on my hands this summer. Anyone?

willem

Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:20 pm

fjeanmur wrote:
I know that everyone has individual needs and interests and it is wonderful that this site has so much--something for everyone. It's easy to get lost. I wonder if Neil and/or Vanessa could put together a list of "essential beginner songs" and then do the same for intermediate and advanced level pieces. I know that there are songs Neil recommends for everyone, from CCR to "Stairway to Heaven" but the CCR ones won't hold my attention for very long, and well the "Why Georgia" might not be within my reach yet. Maybe this could give us something to follow. I won't be looking for an individual teacher and I don't have friends that play guitar, so TG is it for me. I feel that everything here has something to offer, but I wouldn't mind having a guide that I could use--or not use--depending on what is going on at the moment.

But in the meantime, if anyone has any suggestions as to what would be a great challenge as a follow-up to Alice's Restaurant, I'm going to have some time on my hands this summer. Anyone?
Good suggestions for the guide..

following up for Alice's restaurant,,maybe ''Landslide''?? Fleetwood Mac

fjeanmur

Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:28 pm

See? I never would have thought of that. Thanks, Willem

willem

Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:37 pm

fjeanmur wrote:
See? I never would have thought of that. Thanks, Willem

Or ''when I'm 64'' instrumental by Neil hogan,,this is'nt a lesson yet but you can buy the tab here at TG but i don't know anymore where exactly..

''landslide'' is not a ragtime song but a nice song for the travis pickin..a nice one also is ''here comes the sun'' instrumental..there we go,,don't get overwelmed..just pick one,,goodluck..

Willem

ps ''here comes the sun''you find under Neils Hogan instrumentals..

suziko

Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:38 pm

fjeanmur wrote:

Alice's Restaurant is such a great tune and there are a lot of great techniques in there worth learning. In addition to Landslide, I'd recommend checking out:

The Ivory Salamander (Busted Down Around O'Connelly Corner)- The Doobie Bros
Kathy's Song (Eva Cassidy Version)
Scarborough Fair (Simon and Garfunkel version)
Windy and Warm (when you're ready for a stretch!! I'm still working on this one)

I tend to gravitate towards fingerpicking tunes, so those are all ones I've worked on in the past (and even posted a few of them).

Suzi

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic