What are your weak and your strong points in your guitarplaying?

MarkM

Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:11 pm

Interesting question Ness. Hmmmmmmm

Weaknesses

- Far too many to count.
- Shiny object (what was this post about anyway)
- Sometimes I flounder looking for a spark to get me interested. On one hand I'll latch on to a song and play it everyday all day for weeks until I get it right. On the other hand if I lose interest I'll go on to something else. I sometimes wish I had a challenge to meet so I could accomplish that goal. Kind of like an assignment.
- What the ($)#(& is theory????
- Need a vocal chord transplant
- Improvised lead play would be nice.

Strengths

- seriously??
- I can noodle for hours..........

MarkM

suziko

Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:50 pm

Good question, Ness! I think it's hard to fairly self-evaluate, and probably some of my close TG friends could answer this about me better than I can, but here goes:

Strengths:

- I can be quite dedicated and am willing to put in the time and the effort to try to get a song right
- It's important to me to "get things right" and so I will work hard on technique. Not saying I always improve that stuff right away, but as hard as it can be to hear criticism, I do listen to it, evaluate it, and try to put into practice what I've learned.
- I actually really enjoy theory and the more I learn, the more I like it. I don't tend to think of myself as knowing a lot of theory, but when I chat with a lot of other guitarists, I realize that I know way more than the average guitarist.
- I'm fine with being almost always out of my comfort zone on a song because my goal is to improve my playing.
- I think I have a good sense of timing
- I've been told that I "play well with others." :) That is to say- I listen to what other people are doing in the group and adapt my playing to theirs instead of just marching ahead and doing my own thing. Again, this seemed like something everyone would do until I started playing with others and realized that not everyone naturally does that.
- I do a pretty good job with fingerpicking

Weaknesses:

- I'm VERY lazy about working things out for myself. I know I should do it but I don't like doing it. When I have to do it- like working out a melody so that I can attempt to sing a song- I do it very grudgingly.
- Hence I know I should attempt more chord solos, work out riffs, work out chord progressions, etc, but I almost never do it.
- I am not a natural singer and very often have a hard time finding the right melody notes when singing. However, I acknowledge that I'm getting better at it. Part of that is just training yourself to listen to both the song AND what you're doing. But it's hard for me.
- I am not particularly good at riffs, licks, or soloing.
- Not good at hybrid picking or at bluegrass style flatpicking.

As for open mics- well, I did a couple of performances this year with a friend and that was really nice. But it's not something I'm especially drawn to. I prefer playing with others rather than FOR others.

Suzi

BobR

Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:01 pm

Weak Points:
- Finger picking cleanly
- Getting to the !@#$ Bm barre chord cleanly all the time
- Playing and trying to sing at the same time.
- Picking more difficult songs

Strong points:
- I do try to play everyday
- I think my timing is ok
- I know a lot of campfire tunes

- I have played a few open mics. I've done these with a friend since he sings and plays well
Happy Together
Handle with Care
Brain Damage
The Way
With a little help from my friends

I've played these solo

Who'll stop the Rain
Lodi
Tequila Sunrise
Peaceful Easy Feeling

Bob

fjeanmur

Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:20 pm

Vanessa,

Since you asked:

Weak points--

Barre chords--I can get anything to ring well (even Neil's new Stormy Monday 9 chords (Yeah!), but I'm not changing any of them quickly enough. I know this takes practice, but is there any way to move this along?

Better control over my fretting hand, but that again I think is just time and practice.

Sing I can't, so I should be paying more attention to instrumental guitar. Eventually, I think I will.

Strong points--

I'm good with breaking things down and really practicing. I studied piano for eight years when I was young, so practicing is something I know how to do.

I can read music, but I'm still learning where the notes are on the guitar.

My piano theory is decent and much of this transfers to guitar.

I learned arpeggios, etc. as a kid, so I don't have much trouble fingerpicking.

Open mic? I'd rather die!!!

Jean

thereshopeyet

Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:06 pm

Vanessa

Weaknesses
Barre chords are tricky ..... progress is slow with them but it's progress.
When reading music I find it difficult to identify the use of barre / partial barre chords in the notation and rely on video to highlight them.
Rephrased, when I see the video I can see them in the notation, but with the notation only, I'm thrown to identify them !

Identifying the most productive practice structure to achieve speedy results.

The list goes on......
:S

Strengths

Perseverance, Respect good teachers, Appreciate all I'm taught, Enjoy all I learn.

Dermot

:)

haoli25

Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:01 pm

Strengths:

Flawless in all aspects

Weakness:

Self-assessment (...and lying) :)

Bill

jayswett

Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:10 am

WOW!! Gosh......réally enjoyed reading all your reponses.....!! :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Would like to get into each and everyone of them, but my time is a bit limited these days :) . However, I will certainly check back on this thread whenever I see an upload of any of you! :P

Thank you very much for sharing all this with me (and others)!!

Ness

Music Junkie

Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:00 am

Ness:

I did not answer right away, because I was trying to narrow down my rather large list of weaknesses....

Strengths:

Decent timing and decent strumming.
Improving on barre chords all the time (still could possibly go in the weakness category).
Although I am still a theory novice, I do have a rudimentary grasp that helps out quite a bit.
Absolute love of the instrument and the joy it gives.

Weaknesses:

Bad hand position.
Still struggle with clean fingerpicking, and some patterns can really give me nightmares.
Picking out individual notes during strumming (some nights I can nail it and others, I can't hit the right string if my life depended on it).
Ear training.
Overall lack of organized practice routines (along with Shel's poll, I do tend to wander a bit aimlessly and jump from song to song).
Singing (horrible and way too timid).
Have not ever really played with others (something I am very much looking forward to coming in September).
Huge lack of understanding when it comes to progressions and how they work or how to use them.
VERY weak when it comes to the use of my pinky. It has a tendency to curl under my ring finger and I really struggle with stretching it out for chords like A/C#.

The weakness list can go on for a very long time.... :unsure: That being said, I am happy with the progress have made, and continue to make. I am moving slowly, but enjoying every minute of it.... B)

Jason

thereshopeyet

Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:32 pm

Vanessa Wrote:
Would like to get into each and everyone of them, but my time is a bit limited these days
:ohmy: Here we are pouring out our hearts and you don't have time !

Heart Sank

:laugh: :laugh:

:P

suziko

Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:06 pm

You know what, if you upload a video for review, I will absolutely get back to you, using the responses in here as my reference-points.

;) :P

thereshopeyet wrote:

Vanessa Wrote:
Would like to get into each and everyone of them, but my time is a bit limited these days
:ohmy: Here we are pouring out our hearts and you don't have time !

Heart Sank

:laugh: :laugh:

:P

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic