Playing with others - poll attached

michelew

Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:21 pm

One of the main things I need to do to improve my playing and just have more fun generally, is to find some people who I can get together with regularly to play music with. Yes, I know I've talked about this for a while and believe it or not I've explore some avenues a little, but I now intend to try harder, to get over my fear and find a way. The first step will probably be joining a local ukulele club. I met a member of the Petersham club near me when I was at my favourite guitar store getting a uke for my daughter Sage's birthday. So I've broken the ice. I now know one person and daggy, cool, or somewhere in between I intend to bite the bullet and get involved.

Besides the occasional long-distance collab,, the only time I play with others at the moment is when Sage comes over and then we generally play and sing some simple songs together. She's got a great memory for them. She tells me the progression and I accompany her on the uke or guitar, whichever she's not playing. It's always nice.

So I was wondering what you all do. Do you play with others at all? Do you perform regularly? Do you get together with a group of people regularly? Do you just play at the occasional BBQ? Do you not play at all but would like to?

This is just me being curious. How unusual. And yes, there are some avenues I haven't explored yet like joining a group through my local music store or taking a group guitar course. I may do that at some point.

So do you play with others? Poll attached.

Shel

Catman

Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:51 am

I rarely play with others, but I want to.

My problem is finding the right people to play with and the time to do it.

We have an occasional band at work and the rehearsals are fun. But we only perform about once a quarter and we only really rehearse a few times before a performance. I want to find a couple of people I can play with about once a week, just for fun.

The most concentrated and fun playing with others experience I ever had was at guitar camp. That was a real blast! And highly recommended.

-David

neverfoundthetime

Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:31 am

Well I indeed do a combo of things, I sometimes play with a few friends (one plays the guitar and the other the drums), I often play at occasions, such as social gatherings, Bbq's (that is when the freaking sun is shining in this %#$@^ part of the world :angry: ) or whatever. I sometimes perform when being asked. Coincedently I was asked this past weekend to perform at a friends wedding this august, during the ceremony..... :ohmy:.....

All in all, playing with others happens often enough, thats indeed really nice....! :)

I say, GO for it Shel!! ;) :cheer:

daryl

Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:06 am

Never - But I'd like too

Like David said, the problem is finding the right people to play with and the time to do it. The other problem with me is my insecurity in meeting and talking with others.

I've tried to play with a friend of mine but our musical interests don't mesh. :-(

Hydroman52

Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:19 am

Hi Michele,

At this point, I'm rehearsing once a week with friends. Been doing it for about as long as I've been a TG member (a few years?). In a couple of weeks, we will be debuting as opening band for the headline blues band at Bassman Jerry's annual summer party. A couple of weeks later, we open for a different blues band at another party. We'll be on stage for about an hour each time and we have about 1 1/2 to 2 hours of material we can play pretty well, now. It's sort of tough selecting the songs that won't get played.

At last week's rehearsal, Harpman Joel sat in with Bassman Jerry and I and he made us sound very good. I'm pretty sure that he will be at the party, and hope he sits in with us on a couple of songs. Drummer Kim is working out great. He's only able to rehearse every other week, and it's beginning to feel odd playing with the drum tracks on the times that he's not there. Things are falling into place, and it's a lot of fun.

Hydroman52

michelew

Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:56 am

Thanks for your replies everyone. I love reading what you're all up to.

David - good luck with your quest and I'm looking forward to doing the camp think too, hopefully I'll see you there.

Nessa - of course I'm not surprised that you've got all sorts of fun things happening. I'm sure you're in demand big time.

Daryl - well as you know, I'm an introvert too, even if it doesn't seem it from the forum. With your skills...gosh anyone would be lucky to play with you.

Hydro - good luck with the gigging. It sounds like you've got a big pool of talent there, including yourself of course. Maybe you could record a little and give us all a peek at some point. Break a leg. :)

Music Junkie

Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:41 am

daryl wrote:
Never - But I'd like too

Like David said, the problem is finding the right people to play with and the time to do it. The other problem with me is my insecurity in meeting and talking with others.

I've tried to play with a friend of mine but our musical interests don't mesh. :-(
Ditto.

Hopefully going to the IGC will help with that.

willem

Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:03 pm

Yes,,,,every month with close friends,,its not always play together(for me it is),,sometimes they do a song on there own..

Fun was this friday we play a song on our choir party, two guitarist(one was me) and a few singers,,I was very nervus but it went well..

Willem

BobR

Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:18 pm

I used to play on Friday nights with a friend of mine and I always looked forward to it. Unfortunately we have not done it for a while.

Basically we just noodled around and had a few beers ;) Lots of fun

Bob

michelew

Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:44 am

Thanks guys. It's interesting to hear what everyone gets involved in.

M.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic